25 September 2001 Meeting Notes
7:30 – 8:50am
Present: Mathis, Hage, Barry, Kent, D Moore, J Moore, Huckins, Ayers, Wixson, Crangle, Fogleman, Freyhofer, Ramsay. Excused: McCahan, Fahey, Landry, Campbell.
Bill Crangle distributed a collection of materials including:
- An updated Work Plan for fall 2001
- CBC Exec Committee notes from Sept 12
- Cost of attendance information, comparing 2001-02 with 1997-98
- FY02 Annual Budget Update
- Budget Model Categories
- Budget forecast
- Budget change recommendation form for FY03
We first reviewed the budget model format and the timing/format of Bill’s periodic budget reports to campus. It was agreed that:
- meeting reminders and requests for agenda items will be sent a week ahead, and agendas will be sent a day or two prior to meetings.
- Bill will get cost-to-student data from the Financial Aid office.
- the 5-year budget model will be starting point for the budget development model, and a new “Budget Change Recommendation” form will track the requests.
- reports will be sent to campus along with the minutes.
- June/July – annual budget report
- October and March – current year budget updates
- August – review of year-end operations
There was lengthy discussion of university costs to students, with the conversation focusing on book costs, jobs vs. student life, size of classes, quality of entry level courses, etc., from both student and faculty perspectives.
A continued discussion on capacity, found in the Budget Model Categories handout, is planned for the next meeting. Also on the agenda will be an updated contribution surplus analysis and current service levels. Budget impact of the new strategic plan was also missed in this week’s agenda, and will be picked up next time.
Please forward any agenda items to Bill or Nancy by next week.
The next meeting of the CBC is Tuesday, October 9 at 7:30am in HUB 119.