9 April 2002
7:30 – 8:52am
Present: Huckins, Moore, Landry, Fahey, Kent, Campbell, Wixson, Crangle, Ramsay, McCahan, Freyhofer, Fogleman, Hage. Guest: Frank Cocchiarella. Excused: Barry, Wilhelm. Absent: Flack.
In the main topic of the meeting, Bill Crangle led a lengthy discussion of his revised budget change recommendations worksheet along with worksheets from Ed Wixson and David Kent. Each outlined their ideas and then the topic was opened for discussion.
Some of the ideas put forth for saving money:
– Increase the efficiency of existing OS positions as opposed to adding more OS or hourly workers who will always want to be benefited OS.
– Qualified PAs and PATs should have teaching at least one course as part of their job description.
– Propose a productivity model now even if it cannot be funded at this time so that the drive is there to start moving on faculty incentives.
– Reduce number of choices of upper level courses or offer them less frequently. (curricular reform).
– Increase cost savings through improved purchasing practices.
Bill Crangle will draft a proposal letter to Dr. Wharton prior to the next meeting. Bill pointed out that most of the discussion has so far concentrated on academic areas with little emphasis on administrative issues. The April 23rd CBC meeting will be spent revising Bill’s letter and finalizing recommendations to the President.
The CBC Executive Committee will meet before the next meeting. If the recommendations are not finalized by the April 23 meeting, Ed may call another CBC meeting for April’s fifth Tuesday morning.