26 March 2002
7:30 – 8:50am
Present: Hage, Mathis, Fahey, Landry, Campbell, Moore, Kent, Wixson, Huckins, McCahan, Freyhofer, Fogleman. Excused: Crangle. Absent: Ramsay, Barry, Wilhelm, Flack.
The minutes from 3/12/02 were approved as written.
Discussion on the latest draft of Budget Change Recommendations included:
– Reducing lecturer budget by increasing full-time faculty productivity.
– Much discussion on faculty productivity in general.
– Suggested that budget cutting goals can be achieved only by developing a process, as opposed to year-by-year decision-making.
– Suggested that the Curriculum Committee should have the departments evaluate the value of each of their programs.
– There was a short debate over differential tuition as a source of needed revenue – not a popular method.
David Kent suggested that Bill Crangle develop a three-year model of the Budget Change Recommendations sheet with listed intents of each goal (i.e., force curricular reform, reduce deferred maintenance, etc). Notes may be needed for certain lines to explain what is intended to occur.
The “Committee Votes” column on the President’s list of priorities was identified as the number of votes gained during a prioritization session of the University Planning Committee. It was done merely to illustrate which items the CPC members felt should be dealt with first.
Please come to the April 9 meeting prepared to make decisions on budget recommendations to Dr. Wharton.