Minutes Archives

April 27, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

27 April 2004

Present: JPClark, Crangle, Driscoll, Fahey, Hage, Landry, Mathis, Maynard, Moore, Sparks, Staples, Tinnell, Thurston.

The minutes from the previous meeting were not available. Therefore, they will be reviewed at the next meeting.

Tunnel Vision – The article concerning demographics in New England was discussed. It was noted that in New England, New Hampshire was adding people while many of our sister states were net losers of population. New Hampshire was also the only New England state to have a net increase of bachelor degree holders.

Discussion of Cabinet budget priorities that were endorsed by the University Planning Committee:

  • Budget figures reflect a 3% increase in state appropriation.

  • Salaries indicate an increase of 4.5%.

  • Town agreement includes an additional $146,000. Next year we should review just how this should be funded as it is nearing $400,000.

  • Scholarship increases signal a desire to provide achievement-based aid to both in-state and out-of-state students.

  • Two items represent increases to Campus Police for professional membership dues and additional dependent benefits.

  • OS positions are to be added in Financial Aid Office, Bursar, Grants, and HR in order to handle greater demands.

  • Additional funds are needed in Career Services to handle logistics for international programs.

Additional discussions:

  • The 1.5% tuition increase was seen as probable.

  • Utilities were projected at a 9% increase.

A motion was made and seconded that the CBC endorse these recommendations. While the motion was carried on a voice vote, Roger Tinnell voiced his concerns that the budget priorities do not invest more in the faculty. He is also concerned that the CBC seems to be rubber-stamping priorities that were already being acted upon.

Discussion on the possible CLL merger focused on the impact on current and future budgets. This merger is still under consideration by the Board of Trustees.

Richard Sparks passed out a document outlining energy concerns and possible solutions. We will discuss these at our next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 9:15am

Submitted by Daniel P. Moore

May 11, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

11 May 2004

Present: Staples, Fahey, Landry, Thurston, Hage, Mathis, Driscoll, Tinnell, Moore, Sparks.

The minutes from the April 27th meeting were approved as amended.

Richard Sparks gave a report from the FRBC. In efforts to meet their goal of meeting with all academic departments, the committee has so far met with the chairs of four departments; HPER, Business, Library, and Criminal Justice. A fifth is scheduled for Thursday. Discussions involve the department’s hopes, dreams, initiatives, budget, and how the department supports its initiatives (grants, curriculum, etc). The process will continue in the fall. Roger Tinnell hopes for an open forum next year to share the information collected in these meetings with the rest of the faculty. On a related note, Dan Moore hopes that future dept meetings with Ann Thurston will help to repair lack of connection between department activities and their budgets.

Nick wants to see more discussion of what our core values really are. Department chairs are given little guidance in looking to the future. Values have been discussed but only in general terms as evidenced by the mission statement.

Dick Hage noted that there is a perceived need at the top to control the “bottom line”. Conversation is needed with chairs to discuss a framework for what they need. Ideas and creativity should flow up (and down). We need a process for new ideas to be communicated at the very beginning when they are just a seed.

Nick suggested adding a statement to the mission that departments should be encouraged to pursue ideas that take advantage of PSU’s unique natural setting.

Richard noted that next year’s academic theme is the environment. The “greening of campus” is a good topic for this group because conservation is an investment in savings. We cannot conserve without investing. Roger suggested putting this topic at the top of the agenda for next fall, at the start of the environmentally themed year.

Richard wants to see the environmental focus at PSU extend over the next five years. Dick suggested asking Ellen Shippee to identify the projects that related to greening, identify the savings, and prioritize them. Accountability is needed to make sure we are investing wisely for the future.

Also suggested for next year’s agenda was examining the status of projects/suggestions previously approved by this committee. Assessment should be a priority topic.

The possible CLL/PSU merger was very briefly discussed. Where is the faculty input? Depending on the outcome of the current investigation, the merger could be a major topic for the fall.

September 14, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

14 September 2004

Present: Staples, Fahey, Landry, Mathis, Huckins, Crangle, Sparks, McCool, Hage, Thurston, Hines, Cocchiarella.

Richard Sparks agreed to chair the meetings until elections can be held. Bill Crangle suggested not electing anyone this week because all members have not yet been chosen (there are three faculty vacancies). Faculty Speaker Gary McCool is working on filling those spots.

Bill handed out a proposed work plan for 2004-05, listed in no particular order. Bill briefly described the items on the list, which included development of the biennial budget for 06-07, which has just been delivered to the governor’s office. Bill will have a formal plan ready for the next meeting. Please send any additional discussion items to Nancy Pettengill (nancyp@plymouth.edu) before the end of next week.

Bill went over the 2005 budgets for General Fund, Residential Life, Dining, and the HUB. He also mentioned that enrollment looks good in both total numbers and the mix. We have 335 unconfirmed students, which is fairly normal for this time of year. Did everyone read the annual finance report that Bill sent out on email in August?

Richard noted that the issue of increases in the cost of benefits on a national level should be an ongoing topic for the CBC.

The next Campus Budget Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 28 at 8am in the Student Senate Room.

September 28, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

28 September 2004

Present: Huckins, Fahey, Landry, McCool, Hines, Driscoll, Mathis, Hage, Crangle, Sparks, Moore. Excused: Staples, Thurston, Bernier.

Richard Sparks will chair the meeting until elections, which were again delayed because several members were absent. Dan Moore assumed Roger Tinnell’s spot on the FBRC, and therefore filled one of the faculty vacancies on this committee. One vacancy remains on both committees.

The FBRC has not yet met, so they had no report.

Bill Crangle reviewed the Cogeneration Operation – We can perhaps use “jacket water” off the existing engines to heat the planned new residence halls, but beyond that we will need a new source of power. Ellen Shippee attended to help explain current and future cogen and energy issues.

Barbara Fahey presented the oil forecast for 2005, which will become a frequent topic of discussion for this committee. A new Irving contract for #2 oil has just been signed at $1.27 per gallon. A contract with Global for #6 is in process at $39.77 per barrel.

Ellen wondered if the CBC might recommend to campus a list of things to consider in terms of saving electricity. Bill suggested a document co-signed by the chairs of the CBC and Environmental Committee that outlines ways to save energy as part of the “green” year theme.

Benefits are projected to cost 43% of salary by FY07. A USNH cost containment group is working on this issue. Bill will bring that information to this group at a future meeting.

The BOT asked the state for an additional $100K for deferred maintenance. Bill offered three budget scenarios for state appropriations; +3%, flat, and -3%. Even with a +3% appropriation we’d still have a $900K shortfall in FY07. The -3% model would leave us $2.2 million short. Note that these models do assume the usual pay increases, deferred maintenance amounts, benefits increases, etc., any of which could fall victim to a shortfall.

Discussion on the town payment was deferred until the next meeting on Tuesday, October 12 at 8am in the HUB Student Senate Room.

October 12, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

12 October 2004

Present: Sparks, Crangle, Huckins, Staples, Fahey, Landry, Mackey, McCool, Hines, Driscoll, Thurston, Barry, Hage, Moore, Mathis. Guest: Cocchiarella.

The minutes from the September 28 meeting were approved as written. The committee welcomed new member David Mackey from Criminal Justice.

FBRC Report: Alice Staples is the new committee chair. 2004-05 members are Alice, Daniel Moore, David Mackey, Richard Sparks, Gary McCool, and Ann Thurston. They will meet on 2nd and 4th Thursdays at 8am.

Richard Sparks was elected as CBC chair.

Bill Crangle discussed enrollment and retention history. The cabinet will meet to talk about capacity and next fall’s first year class – what our target is and the percentage of yield that we can rely on. One problem with admitting more first-years is the first-year seminar course. There are too few faculty available to teach more sections. Other questions included how big we can allow the first year class to grow, keeping retention in mind, and still have a margin to fund initiatives (otherwise known as living within our enrollment). Bill pointed out that the graduate enrollment spreadsheet figures are shown as FFTE (full-time financial equivalent), not the actual number of students sitting in seats. This is somewhat misleading since it shows the numbers as lower than they actually are.

Bill also began to speak about the town safety payment increase. The president asked the CBC to develop ways to help fund the annual payment, which at present is approximately $340,000. Discussion of this topic will be continued at the next meeting.

Also on the next agenda will be a review of comparator institutions.

The next CBC meeting will be Tuesday, October 26 from 8-9:20 in the Lamson Library Tower. Please note the change in location.

October 26, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

26 October 2004

Present: Fahey, Staples, Crangle, Sparks, Driscoll, Thurston, McCool, Huckins, Mathis, Hines, Barry, Cocchiarella, Moore, Mackey. Absent: Bernier, Landry, Hage.

The minutes were approved as written.

FBRC report: Alice said the committee plans to meet with the department chairs as soon as dates in November can be arranged.

Nick distributed and explained the IPEDS Report (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System), which collects data from all institutions and educational organizations in the country.

Bill presented the PSU Comparator Report, which takes the bulk of its information from the IPEDS Report. All schools listed are Masters One schools except for Keene State. KSC no longer matches up very well with PSU but remains on the list. These comparators are used to set aspirations for growth along with a measure of how we are doing compared to other schools. Bill discussed many of the comparator categories, such as enrollment, admissions, costs, and retention.

Also distributed was a handout on cost benefit containment efforts. Bill asked that everyone read the handout before the next meeting, when Carol Kuzdeba from Human Resources will join the CBC for a discussion.

The next CBC meeting will be on Tuesday, November 9 at 8am in the HUB Student Senate Room (119).

November 23, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

23 November 2004

Present: Huckins, Staples, Mackey, Landry, Driscoll, Mathis, Sparks, Crangle, Cocchiarella, Hage, McCool, Hines, Moore, Barry.

Chair Sparks opened the meeting with the FBRC report from Alice Staples. The FBRC had two more meetings in its quest to meet with all academic department chairs about budget needs and plans; Len Reitsma and Jonathan Santore.

Bill Crangle gave a report on energy planning. Dr. Wharton asked him to prepare an energy and utility plan by May. Bill created an outline (handout) and asked Ellen Shippee (who attended, with Mike Horton) to investigate the plans of other institutions. He would like the CBC to help him assemble the report. He explained the categories in his outline and asked for volunteers:

1. Forecast of future costs – Barbara, Heather, Dan.
2. Capital planning matrix – Mike and Ellen
3. Operational Plan; energy savings – Richard, Gary, Steve Kahl
4. Cogen – Ellen, Jeff Neggers
5. Electric Coop – Gary
6. New technologies – volunteers are needed

Mike Horton spoke on deferred maintenance with a chart showing the results of putting $1.4 million annually into DM over the next 20 years. While that amount would help, what is really needed in each of those years is $2.8 million. He also shared a facilities capital planning report that shows the deficiencies and replacement values of all buildings. We need to begin recording the progress being made toward these deficiencies.

Pre-registration for spring term is going well. Matt Burkhart reports that as of 11/22 we are at 88% of eligible students to return. Nick will do some research after the Thanksgiving break. It is too early to tell anything from the admissions numbers (like transfers).

Bill shared a handout of student costs and revenues that shows comparisons of in-state tuition and appropriation, and out-of-state tuition from FY90 to FY05 (excluding 91-94).

Bill also distributed a draft of the latest finance and budget report, which focuses on specific items that people on campus should know about. Please review it and email Bill with any suggestions.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, December 14 at 8am. Location is the HUB Tower Room, but that might be changed.

February 18, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

18 February 2003
8:00-9:20am

Present: Wixson, Wharton, Kent, Fahey, Landry, Sparks, Hage, Mathis, Moore, Cantor, Crangle, Barry, Campbell. Excused: Bernier, Ramsay. Absent: Huckins, Freyhofer, Quigley, Levy. Guest: Cofran.

Dr. Wharton began by talking about the Governor’s budget proposal, which is 11% short of the budget submitted. That really means 5% less than what we now have, which would amount to $550,000. The USNH will take its request to the legislature. The challenge is to first advocate to the legislature for the budget. Secondly, plans must be made to deal with a budget shortfall. It is doubtful that the USNH can get the full 6% increase it requested, but these efforts could get the System more than what the Governor proposed. In the meantime, the CBC must work on a contingency budget planning process. It is important to keep four core values in mind:

1. Program quality
2. Recruitment and retention of quality faculty and staff
3. Maintaining student opportunities
4. Maintaining and increasing partnership/outreach activities

There is interest in the legislature not to see large tuition increases. There is some understanding of the linkage between tuition and state appropriation, and of keeping the current compact going. Tuition is a large variable in our process. Our trustees are also interested in not raising tuition significantly. However, if tuition is not raised by any amount after a budget cut, the perception will be that the requested increase was not needed in the first place.

According to VP Hage, PSU’s out-of-state “cost of education” is pushing $20,000 per year. Reaching that number will be, psychologically speaking, “huge”.

Bill discussed his FY04 budget prep spreadsheets. The proposed bottom line of $471,000 was to be used to fund some of last year’s initiatives. “Then,” said VP Crangle, “we got a new governor.”

The CBC’s assignment for this week is to come up with a series of numbers in column two of the spreadsheet that will get us to a balanced budget. Please send VP Crangle your thoughts on how to stay within the budget without raising tuition. For next Tuesday’s meeting Bill will draft several models from your ideas. The Cabinet will likewise be working on priorities.

The preliminary headcount for R+28 shows our numbers for FY02-03 as higher than budgeted. Admissions is approximately 200 applications above last year at this time; a 14% increase. Admits are lagging behind due to the new Banner system and staff turnover. We are denying a higher percentage, which will result in better quality. Financial Aid’s go-live is going well. Applications to the Criminal Justice program have increased by four times. The Academic Standards Committee voted to accept the transfer of all courses from any accredited institution regardless of whether PSU offers those courses. That issue now goes to the Executive Council.

The FBRC recently sent new curriculum parameters supporting “15 credit hours of free electives” in all undergrad bachelors’ programs to the Faculty Welfare, Curriculum, and the University Planning Committees, and the Council of Chairs.

The next CBC meeting is next Tuesday, February 25 at 8am in HUB 119.

February 25, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

25 February 2003
8:00-9:20am

Present: Ramsay, Kent, Fahey, Wharton, Hage, Levy, Sparks, Campbell, Mathis, Bernier, Moore, Crangle, Wixson. Excused: Landry, Huckins, Barry. Absent: Cantor, Quigley.

The February 18th minutes were approved as written.

Bill reviewed a spreadsheet package that reviewed the summary budget model of FY03 and presented four budget models for beginning to cope with the reduced level of state appropriation proposed by Governor Benson ($1.2 million for FY04).

There followed a lengthy discussion regarding options for where we can go for either tuition income or necessary budget cuts. Suggestions were made such as deferring deferred maintenance even longer, deferring raises or attracting more students through faculty initiatives like the 15 free elective credit proposal, accepting transfer courses from other accredited institutions and a reformed gen ed program. The political climate and the Trustees will take much of the decision-making on tuition and/or salary raises out of our hands anyway, so we’re left with finding ways to either cut budgets or generate more funds.

Bill will go to the student government on March 9th. The next CBC discussion will focus on student fees, room and board. Homework for next Tuesday’s meeting is to think of where else in this institution we can look for areas in which to reduce expenses. It is important to find structural reductions, i.e., ones which remain reduced in fiscal years beyond FY04.

The next CBC meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 4 at 8am in HUB 119.

March 4, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

4 March 2003
8:00-9:20am

Present: Fahey, Sparks, Mathis, Ramsay, Crangle, Wixson, Moore, Huckins, Hage, Kent, Landry, Campbell, Cantor, Levy. Absent: Bernier, Quigley, Barry.

Bill Crangle began with a discussion of the student fee schedule. He will take the reports he shared at this meeting to the Student Senate meeting on March 9 for their approval. He reviewed a spreadsheet showing housing, dining and fees across the System. A correction: the student activities figure under PSU in FY04 should be $310 and the percentage increase 4.1%. The collection of fees from Continuing Education students was questioned, which they must pay on top of the per-credit charge for the course. The fees may be a deterrent to our push to build up the CE and evening divisions,. Bill explained the requested increases in the fee structure. The overall increase is 5.1%.

Bill shared a list of all E&G fund accounts to show where and how much is being spent. Some questions brought forth discussion on the importance of keeping in touch with student opinion as to what they value most. Athletics, recreational sports and student organizations are highly valued by them and are important in recruiting students to our campus, but what about the balance between them? In light of current interest in personal fitness, would students rather have a good recreational sports program or organized athletics?

The focus of the next CBC meeting, next Tuesday, March 11, will be a closer look at detailed budgets.

Featured in Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Ut Prosim: Burton for Certain

Ray Burton ’62 lived all his years in the North Country of New Hampshire. Few elected officials have ever understood the lifestyle and character of their constituents as well as he did or have known so many of them by name. On December 14, 2013, hundreds of Burton’s fellow citizens joined dozens of past and […]

Example Image

Faculty Forum: Brian Eisenhauer on Shrinking Our Environmental Impact

In his roles as professor, scholar, researcher, mentor, and campus leader, Brian Eisenhauer is at the center of Plymouth State’s sustainability and climate neutrality efforts. Under his leadership, Plymouth State has been consistently recognized as a leader in environmental sustainability and is regularly included in The Princeton Review’s Guide to Green Colleges, a compilation of […]

Example Image

Nora Galvin ’14, Stellar Student-Athlete

As an NCAA Division III school, Plymouth State is home to the true student-athlete: the student who exhibits the same drive, dedication, and commitment to excellence both in and out of the classroom; who studies hard for a rewarding future; and plays for the love of the game. PSU social work major Nora Galvin ’14, […]