Minutes Archives

March 11,2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

11 March 2003
8:00-9:30am

Present: Kent, Huckins, Fahey, Landry, Bernier, Moore, Sparks, Mathis, Crangle, Hage, Levy, Campbell. Excused: Ramsay. Absent: Barry, Quigley, Cantor.

The minutes of February 25 and March 4 were approved as written.

The agenda began with Bill Crangle’s list of discussion items, although the topic of average class size was deferred until VP Barry can participate. Pat Campbell’s listing of part-time faculty by department was examined. This report also reflects which departments appear to be taking class size advice and which are not. VP Barry needs support in pushing the agenda of appropriate class size. The confusion in counting courses was mentioned. Courses are set up so many different ways that a uniform method of counting is impossible. Nick Mathis offered that we are teaching more courses to fewer students than we were a few years ago. The Faculty Budget and Resource Committee (FBRC) will look into this further.

UNH has announced they will outsource all custodial and maintenance services. The changeover will take place over time and through attrition. Bill said these plans sometimes save money but do it by taking benefits away from lower-paid employees in those jobs. David Kent pointed out the inequality of our still-high use of non-benefited adjunct faculty. A recommendation made last year was to make better use of full-time faculty and less of adjuncts.

The issue of centralized copying services was raised as a possible way to save money. Richard Sparks asked if we could get information from Keene on how they manage their copying (they have an in-house copying service and otherwise have only 14 copiers on campus opposed to 80 at PSU). Bill Crangle will request that info. The CBC will also look at travel and meal expenses at the next meeting.

Bill Crangle met with the student government on March 9. The Student Senate unanimously supported the budget and all proposed student fee increases.

When asked if the budget and savings recommendations of the CBC would hold any weight with the Trustees, Bill Crangle answered yes.

Discussion followed on salary issues of incoming faculty and our ability to attract quality people. Nick reiterated that we should perhaps shift more money to the big, popular programs, taking it from smaller, under-attended programs that graduate few students. We have not yet decided what we want to be; we are trying to do too much. Hard decisions are needed on what we want to support and where we can trim. Bill will forward that issue to the FBRC.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, March 25 at 8am in HUB 119.

March 25, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

25 March 2003
8:00-9:20am

Present: Fahey, Huckins, Landry, Campbell, Moore, Barry, Hage, Mathis, Bernier, Levy, Kent, Wixson, Crangle, Sparks, Cantor. Excused: Ramsay. Absent: Quigley.

The minutes of the March 11 meeting were approved as written.

The committee reviewed a letter to the CBC from President Wharton regarding budget adjustment categories. The gist of the letter could be summed up in one sentence from the fourth paragraph; “I would ask that you support the following critical changes that must take place so that we can continue our efforts to provide a quality education to our students and have a balanced budget.”

VP Hage outlined the status of admissions in response to the revenue enhancement category in Dr. Wharton’s letter. Both yield and attrition rates are higher for out-of-state students than for in-state. We now have enough of a pool to make our admissions goal, but we must be mindful not to lower standards in order to accept more out-of-state students.

Discussion ensued on the establishment of part-time faculty department budgets beginning in spring 04, along with reducing the number of courses and increasing class size. Support of these measures by the CBC would give VP Barry and the other PAs the needed support of an elected committee. When it was suggested that the start date be fall 03 instead of spring 04, VP Barry defended the later date as being the earliest that academic departmental strategies can be changed. Some difficulty lies in the revolving administration of the academic departments.

Kent commented that the letter seemed to be aimed mostly at the academic departments. VP Barry pointed out several paragraphs that referred to administrative efforts, and stood strong in her assertion that one of our major problems has been and continues to be the mismanagement of some academic programs.

Recommendations were made for changes in the language, order and presentation of the document. The presentation of these issues is important. Goals should be considered as campus wide, not primarily either academic or administrative. Crangle and Barry will redraft the letter before the next meeting. The letter will also be taken to the next University Planning Committee meeting. Kent asked Crangle to create a couple of charts to further illustrate the changes thus far.

Crangle distributed discussion points and outlined the goals of the committee for the remainder of this academic year.

A community, campus-wide budget meeting is planned for 3:35pm on Wednesday, April 30 in the Heritage Commons. The CBC will probably plan to meet at 8am in HUB 119 on April 29 to discuss the agenda for that event.

The next CBC meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 8 at 8am in HUB 119.

April 8, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

8 April 2003
8:00-9:20am

Present: Wixson, Sparks, Huckins, Fahey, Landry, Kent, Moore, Levy, Bernier, Hage, Mathis, Ramsay, Barry, Campbell, Crangle. Excused: Cantor. Absent: Quigley.

The minutes from March 25th were accepted as written.

Bill Crangle’s third quarter budget update was approved and will be sent to the campus.

The budget challenges letter handout is a rewrite of the CBC letter from Dr. Wharton that was discussed at the last meeting. More discussion ensued on the format of the listing of budget items. Crangle will make the suggested changes and submit them to Dr. Wharton.

The committee talked a little about the April 30th campus-wide budget meeting to be held in Heritage Commons. The president’s budget challenges letter will be the basis for the group discussion. An invitation to all department chairs was suggested. There will be more about this at the April 22 CBC meeting.

The graphed information requested by David Kent was presented by Bill Crangle. Suggestions were made on format. There was heavy discussion on the information in the charts with some intense feelings being shared on issues of presentation and interpretation.

A budget model from Ed Wixson was distributed as Model G and discussed briefly.

The next CBC meeting is on Tuesday, April 22 at 8am in HUB 119.

September 9, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

9 September 2003

Tinnell, Staples, Landry, Bernier, Hage, Mathis, Thurston, Sparks, Davis, JPClark, Moore, Crangle.

Bill Crangle explained the membership structure of the committee to new members.

Dan Moore was elected CBC chair.

This year’s CBC Executive Committee will be Bill Crangle, Dan Moore, and John P. Clark.

2004 Goals and Objectives Matrix: (sent to members in email prior to meeting) Bill Crangle briefly discussed the original long-range goals. Questions were taken, one of which underlined the need for finalization of the new official list of comparator institutions. Nick mentioned that the draft list of comparators is much smaller than the original, which will allow for more effective study of similar schools.

Bill explained that the University Planning Committee is responsible for setting the strategic direction for the university. The Campus Budget Committee’s job is to fund those directions.

Other questions sparked a mini-discussion on faculty salary issues. That topic is scheduled to be addressed later in the fall

Policy development may be added to discussion topics scheduled for the spring (April-May), along with a much needed long-term financial plan.

The ongoing NEASC accreditation could drive a few changes in the Strategic Plan, especially in the area of assessment, which could, in turn, affect the work of the CBC.

Please review the Work Plan for 2004 and email Dan Moore or Bill Crangle with any changes or additions that you feel are needed.

Bill reported that the 2003 budget ended in the black. Discussion on that is planned for the next meeting.

Bill offered an orientation meeting for the new members. Nancy Pettengill will contact them to set up a session.

The meeting time will remain on second and fourth Tuesdays from 8-9:30am. Location will be confirmed asap. The Faculty Resource and Budget Committee (FBRC) will meet at this time next Tuesday to plan their meeting schedule.

Several significant issues stand out for the FY 2004 budget. The mix of in-state and out-of-state students has swung more towards in-state, which means less tuition dollars. The legislature finally came to an agreement on the budget on September 4th. It is basically the same budget proposed back in June, in which in-state tuition will remain at a 6.7% increase. Benefits continue to be a problem causing a six million dollar USNH deficit. That fund must be brought back into the black with a built-up reserve. Finally, $200,000 will be restored to our R&R (repair and replacement) account.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, September 23 at 8am. Location will be announced.

September 23, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

23 September 2003

Present: Staples, Fahey, Landry, Tinnell, Thurston, Mathis, Driscoll, JPClark, Sparks, Crangle, Moore, Davis.

The minutes were accepted as written and received via email.

The FBRC (Faculty Budget and Resource Committee) is in its organizational stages, and working on a meeting schedule.

A member of the committee asked for assessment of what the committee has done since its inception and the effects of those activities/recommendations.

Bill Crangle presented an explanation of the handouts, beginning with the general fund. The energy line raised questions about what is being done about energy conservation on campus. The Environmental Committee co-chairs could come to a CBC meeting to discuss the issues. Also, “sustainability” may become next year’s academic theme, allowing the entire campus a chance to become involved in conservation. The bottom line for FY03 was a $214,000 surplus. We also did not have to use any reserves.

Issues raised from other handouts:

The tuition income chart is the forecasting method for determining enrollment projections.

Bill reviewed the auxiliary funds (operations that pay for themselves).

The issue of students (parents) buying Plymouth homes and then sharing them with other students has become a major problem in the neighborhoods. The master plan will address the issue of more on-campus housing for upperclassmen.

There are 200 more students on the dining plan than last year, even though we have only 40 more actual students.

COMNET is the combination of Telecom, RESNET, Cable TV and the Computer Store. Administrative telecom costs have been increased due to the loss of revenue from long-distance income from students. Telecom is pushing sales of cellular phones and service through a company that gives Telecom a cut from all sales to students.

Reserves should, at minimum, grow at the same rate of inflation as our budget (in a perfect world).

The balance sheet shows almost a two million dollar increase in cash over last year, or a 15% increase. This is good.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, October 14 at 8am in the Student Senate Room (HUB 119).

October 14, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

14 October 2003

Present: Tinnell, Staples, Thurston, Fahey, Driscoll, Mathis, Maynard, Hage, JPClark, Sparks, Davis, Moore, Crangle, Excused: Landry, Bernier, Barry.

The committee welcomed Kurt Shroeder, who used this meeting to discuss the work of a committee charged with the development of a new set of comparator institutions. He outlined the extensive formulas and criteria that went into cutting over 9000 schools down to the list of 80 public institutions that are most compatible to Plymouth. From there the committee removed 31 schools that least matched PSU. Applying further criteria narrowed the list to a closely comparable 14 that will comprise our new comparator list. Four schools from the old list of about 30 remain on the new list.

The agenda for the next meeting will include further discussion by Nick Mathis on comparators. Roger Tinnell also offered to participate in a smaller group to look at assessment, which was also tabled until the next meeting.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, October 28 at 8am in the Student Senate Room (HUB 119).

October 28, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

28 October 2003

Present:  Thurston, Fahey, Driscoll, Mathis, Maynard, Hage, JPClark, Sparks, Moore, Rousseau, Landry, Bernier, Barry, Crangle. Absent: Davis, Tinnell, Staples.

The minutes of the September 9th and 23rd meetings were approved as written.

Nick talked about the US News survey comparison worksheet of America’s best colleges. Some key points:

  • We are accepting a high percentage of applicants, yet only 35% of those accepted students actually come to PSU.
  • Retention rates have been climbing into the low-mid 70’s from an all-time low of around 62%.
  • The graduation rate is slightly above average for a 4-year public institution.

How do we use data like this? Discussion followed of how to use the data to best support the students we choose to accept – what students do we want to attract, what programs should we offer them and what programs should we no longer support? Info from the National Survey of Student Engagement is helpful. Nick suggested doing a case study of a school very similar to ours – Longwood University in Southern Virginia with a 62% grad rate. Ginny offered that we need to do more to support our second and third year students, not just concentrate on the first-years, to improve our graduation rate. There is also the constant challenge of our student mix.

Ginny asked for an endorsement from the CBC of the comparator list. Following that, it will go to various committees for their approval, and eventually to the president to take to the Board of Trustees. The committee unanimously agreed to endorse the list.

On the agenda for next time: Nick will present some “easily readable” numbers.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, November 25 at 8am in the Student Senate Room (HUB 119).

November 25, 2003

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

25 November 2003

Present: Moore, Tinnell, Staples, Landry, Rousseau, JPClark, Thurston, Mathis, Hage, Driscoll, Maynard, Sparks, Barry. Excused: Crangle, Fahey, Bernier. Absent: Davis, Mulloy, Bobusia.

Dan Moore reviewed Bill Crangle’s budget update letter to the cabinet. Ann clarified that the “arranged account notes” given some students this fall were due to complications in the Banner conversion. Nick explained that the enrollment/budget situation changes almost hourly because of web registration. Students hop on the web constantly to register for classes, and are no longer under pressure to do so within a specific time frame.

A side discussion was begun by Richard responding to the steam repairs going on outside the window. He wondered why we don’t respond to these things before they become an emergency. The answer is, always, lack of funds, and goes back to the major issue of deferred maintenance. John Clark added that we chose the cheap route in the past by direct burying our steam pipes, which is now coming back to haunt us. Dick explained that our soil corrodes them from the outside in, and manganese from the condensate within them eats them from the inside out.

Res Life numbers look good, and dining is at an all-time high. The HUB is also running head of last year. The students are demanding more recreational space. Changes to rectify that are coming soon in the form of expanded fitness and aerobic facilities. COMNET is enjoying the first revenue increase in years. We are offering incentives for the dorm communication package by building it into the room rate and offering free phone minutes.

Dan tabled agenda item #2, the discussion of strategic indicators, until the next meeting.

Ginny reported on news from the System office. The Trustees are focused on establishing efficiently standards for 2004. Several of the indicators they will focus on include time to graduation, overall GPA, class size, and comparing programs in relation to mission. The CBC and UPC needs to be aware of these issues in their planning. The chancellor must report to the governor that we are running efficiently and can graduate well-prepared students. Good data will put the USNH in a better position to deal with the state on getting funding. Questions have been asked about what we have done about the recommendations for change already made to the president in the last couple of years. The Trustees are stressing “access, affordability, and quality”. We must learn to better balance the enrollment in our bread and butter programs to maintain the highest quality.

Nick reviewed the enrollment data, introducing the material (in your packet) that he developed for the BOT meeting of November 12. We are offering enrollment to fewer applicants. Of those, we are being accepted by in-state students at a higher rate than in the past, and by out-of-state students at a lower rate than usual. Nick and Dick a quick enrollment statistics update. Retention is not as high as it should be for the kind of school we are.

Richard reports it is difficult for faculty in one department to know what faculty in other departments are doing. Coordination between departments is needed. An all-faculty meeting or forum of some appropriate format could get that information out. Nick asked why the Council of Chairs can’t be involved in some kind of reporting mechanism. Dan replied that those meetings tend to be too formal in nature to allow such a discussion.

Roger brought up assessment. The Faculty Welfare Committee has asked what happened to the recommendations made by this group to the president over the last couple of years. The CBC needs to talk about assessment when the whole group is available to discuss it. He also asked how new graduate programs, like the new master of arts in teaching, will impact the teaching resources for the undergraduate programs.

The next CBC meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 9 in HUB 119.

January 8, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

8 January 2002
7:30 – 9am

Present: Mathis, DMoore, McCahan, Fahey, Campbell, Huckins, Wixson, Crangle, Kent and Hage. Excused: Ayers, Ramsay, Landry, Freyhofer, Barry, Fogleman, JMoore.

Discussion of Contribution Margin Analysis handout. (Tab 14)

-         Must raise the level of awareness of the costs of curriculum.

-         Have lacked method of tying resources to accountability

-         Need to pay more attention to the carrying costs of majors that produce few graduates.

-         New Gen Ed initiatives could affect more efficient use of available resources in our academic departments, in moving to a more service-oriented approach where department offerings support other majors. (Ex: a conversational foreign language course might benefit a student in the business program.)

Agenda ideas for a combined meeting of the Curriculum Committee, the CPC and the CBC:

-         Contribution Margin Analysis

-         Who should ask the necessary questions? Lack of answers has led us to our current dilemma.

-         A financial tutorial

-         The budget forecast model

The CPC should provide the path between the top level and the departments.

FYI: Cory Flack will replace Jess Moore as a student member.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, January 22 at 7:30am in HUB 119.

February 12, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

12 February 2002
7:30-8:50am

Present: Barry, McCahan, Fahey, Moore, Freyhofer, Fogleman, Ayers, Ramsay, Crangle, Wixson, Mathis, Campbell, Hage, Flack, Huckins. Excused: Landry, Kent. Guest: E. Cheney.

Mike Horton’s presentation on deferred maintenance and R&R budgeting led to a lengthy discussion of deferred maintenance, which evolved into space issues. Questions asked included were we going to grow, build new res halls, buy more land etc.

Update on the 03 budget: Bill handed out updated Budget Change Recommendations. (keep this latest and toss previous ones). The current deficit is approximately $700,000. The viewbook is due to be redesigned at a cost of $100,000 so that brings the total to $800,000. The group went over a list of possible reductions to help balance the budget. Bill welcomes any other cost saving ideas to add to the list. One suggestion made was better utilization of our facilities in the summer, targeted to our recruitment audience; sports camps, art and music camps, etc., which cater to the 12-18 yr-olds.

Revised contribution margin analysis: The revisions were driven by comments from Ed Wixson. The committee’s assignment is to take a look at this new analysis for the next meeting.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, February 26 at 7:30am, HUB 119.

Featured in Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Faculty Forum: Filiz Otucu on Democracy and the Middle East

Filiz Otucu is a professor of political science and specializes in international relations, Middle Eastern politics, and the United Nations. A native of Turkey, she earned her MA at the University of Central Oklahoma, and her PhD from the University of Kentucky. Otucu teaches courses on politics and conflict in the Middle East, terrorism and [...]

Example Image

Another Way to Serve

“It was like moving to a foreign country with a completely different culture,” says PSU student Patrick O’Sullivan. The 26-year-old veteran isn’t referring to his time in Iraq as a motor transport operator in the Army Reserve. He’s talking about coming home. O’Sullivan joined the Army Reserve right out of high school, at an age [...]

Example Image

Faculty Forum: Irene Cucina

Professor Irene Cucina has been teaching in the Department of Health and Human Performance since 1998. Prior to coming to Plymouth State, she had a rewarding career as a high school health and physical education teacher and coach in Newton, MA. Her commitment to students and learning has been recognized by her peers through a [...]