Minutes Archives

November 26, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

26 November 2002
8-9:20am

Present: Wixson, Crangle, Shen, Kent, Campbell, Huckins, Quigley, Landry, Fahey, Hage, Bernier, Levy, Moore, Sparks. Guests: Bob Tuveson, Danielle Benedict. Excused: Barry, Cantor, Mathis, Ramsay.

The October 22 minutes were accepted as written.

Bill reported that spring term pre-registration was high with over 90% of eligible full-time students pre-registering for their classes.

Bob Tuveson, Director of Financial Aid, passed out handouts and gave an overview of financial aid expenditures by program and source over the last ten years. Aid has increased from approximately 12 million in 1992 to 26 million today. Out of 44 million PSU receives in tuition, room/board and fees, financial aid awards account for 26 million of it. The average indebtedness of our students upon graduation is $17,000.

Ellen Shippee and Mike Horton will join the next meeting to discuss deferred maintenance.

There is no indication from the governor-elect on his plans for higher education. A recent 45-minute presentation by Ed MacKay elicited no response.

The 10/29 discussion notes from the five joint committee groups were consolidated into one document and sent out on email to all members prior to this meeting. A question of what to do next will be composed by Dan Moore and Linda Levy and sent out from the Faculty Budget and Resource Committee to all participants asking each committee to be ready to present a response to that question at the 12/17 joint committee meeting.

Richard Sparks will summarize the notes for the next meeting.

Nancy will send out the message for Dan from the FBRC.

The remaining section of the 12/17 meeting, following discussion of the above, will be designed by the FBRC at its meeting next Tuesday. It could be to choose one of the five remaining issues for discussion in the spring.

The next meeting of the CBC is Tuesday, December 10 at 8am in HUB 119.

December 10, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

10 December 2002
8:00 – 9:20am

Present: Wixson, Huckins, Kent, Barry, Moore, Mathis, Fahey, Bernier, Levy, Ramsay, Campbell. Guests: Ellen Shippee, Mike Horton. Excused: Cantor, Crangle. Absent: Freyhofer, Quigley, Landry, Hage.

The minutes of the November 26th meeting were accepted as written.

Mike Horton gave out two handouts and some background on deferred maintenance, which now totals $11.8 million; 8.5% of the renewal cost of $138.7 million.

Ellen Shippee had more handouts and talked about the current R&R (repair and replacement) budget, which is just under $2 million. She and Bill Crangle are working on a six-year plan for R&R money, beginning in FY05-06. The plan is to prevent newer buildings from becoming deferred by working on them first, then work backward towards the older buildings. The PE Center, which is the building in most dire need, could become a capital project in a few years. Ellen passed out a forecast of deferred maintenance funding. Plans are to add $200,000 per year to the deferred maintenance fund, barring further funding cuts from the state.

Barbara Fahey clarified that the student fee driven funds, such as the HUB and the technology fee, are included in the general R&R figures, but they are specifically targeted and spent for the uses intended; they do not actually go into Physical Plant’s general R&R fund.

The joint committee meeting on December 17 (HUB MPR at 8am) will be a follow up on the 10/29 meeting. The Faculty Budget and Resource Committee (FBRC) will present their response to the 15-free-electives issue first, with the CBC presenting last. Julie will take notes during the meeting and project them onto a screen for everyone to see. What should be CBC say? Ginny pointed out that the lack of resources to maintain the current curriculum is the major issue. Efficiency – how to teach students better without taxing our budgets further. This is a good opportunity to present our current situation honestly. In addition, the CBC needs to continue moving along the other issues presented to it by the University Planning Committee last year.

Ginny will speak for the CBC on the cohesive vision of the problem of matching our resources to what we do, and addressing the rising cost of tuition for NH families.

Beyond the joint meeting of 12/17, the next regular meeting of the CBC will be January 14 at 8am in HUB 119.

January 8, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

8 January 2001 Minutes

Present: J Landry, P Campbell, H Freyhofer, D Moore, B Crangle, D Kent, B Fahey, T Keefe, M Powers, B McCahan.

Jerry Boothby, from Bowdoin College, will be attending the next meeting on January 22 at a special time from 2:30-4:30 in HUB 119. Please read the Mathews University case study before that meeting. Who else should be invited? Wavell Fogleman, Retha Fielding, Barbara Pratt, Bob Heiner, Mark Turski.

Draft to the President: There was lengthy discussion over changes to be made to the committee formation draft to the President. Bill recorded the changes and will incorporate them into a few draft document. Further discussion and review will be continued at the February 12 meeting.

The Strategic Plan should be carefully reviewed to pick out what needs to be done before converting it to financial terms. This must be done before the committee work timeline can kick in. The timeline should include an annual re-assessment of the Strategic Plan in order to use it in the budgeting process. The CBC and the CPC will have to work closely together to assign specificity to the Strategic Plan and relate it to financial issues.

Dates to remember:

Monday, January 22 from 2:30-4:30, HUB 119. Review of Mathews University Case Study with Jerry Boothby, and discussion of how it relates to what PSU is attempting.

Monday, February 12 from 3:30-4:30, Sp 124. Regular meeting of the CBC. Continue review of document to President.

February 26, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

26 February 2001 Meeting Minutes

Present: P Campbell, J Landry, W. Fogleman, JP Clark, B Crangle, T Keefe, B Fahey, H Freyhofer, B McCahan.

Comments were read and discussed from several people who responded to the formation document draft that Bill had sent out via email for review. It was mentioned that some of the comments sounded divisive and the fact that a committee member belongs to one constituency group doesn’t mean they can’t effectively represent the needs of another. All committee members must think beyond their department, division or constituency group.

Dick Hage wanted to incorporate the words “student learning” into the document. The term is used within the goals and objectives of the Plan, so it was decided not to single it out for special mention in the formation document. Referring to the values of the Campus Strategic Plan will cover it. Bill will talk with Dick.

Horst moved to approve the formation document with one change to the mission (cross out the words “value-centered”). Motion was seconded by John Clark and unanimously approved.

Barbara suggested that the “CBC & Value-Centered Presentation” be distributed both before and at the 3/13 roundtable event.

Roundtable points:

  • How should we approach this event? How to feed the discussion? Ideas are welcome – contact Bill.
  • Need a process to give them something to talk about.
  • Must be careful that varying amounts of available data doesn’t drive the value choices.
  • The values have been around for years; we must establish a process to specify which ones are most important.
  • Starting with the current Strategic Plan, what would you add to this if you were doing the planning?

Mid-year budget report: In the future these memos will come from the CBC, not just Bill. Is this the best way to communicate the state of the budget? Should the format be changed? Send your thoughts to Bill.

Bill suggested a combined meeting of the CBC and the CPC to establish a mutual direction and exchange ideas.

The CBC Formation Committee is hereby dissolved pending a decision from President Wharton on the fate of the CBC.

April 25, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

25 April 2001 Meeting Minutes

Present: Fahey, Keefe, Landry, Barry, McCahan, J Moore, Kent, Fogleman, D Moore, Wixson, Crangle, Freyhofer. Absent: JP Clark, D Hage, Ayers, Mathis, Campbell.

Welcome by Dr. Wharton:

Opportunities available to this committee:

1.      Engender sense of collective responsibility
2.      Establish grounds for common thinking
3.      Promote greater understanding of budget process

Measures of success:

1.      Demonstration that the three opportunities above have been take
2.      Better linking of the plan to the budget
3.      A better bottom line for the institution, shown in:
a.       Enhanced revenues
b.      Increased strategic emphasis on expenditures
c.       More incentives in allocation across the budget
d.      Increased sense of responsibility and institutional commitment

Charge to the committee:
“To seize opportunities, achieve successful measures, stay focused on institutional well-being, and to observe the three R’s: be responsible, responsive and respectful.”

Election of a committee chair:
Ed Wixson was nominated and voted in unanimously as the new chair. He accepted the job for the remainder of this year and for next year, assuming he is re-elected to the committee.

Bill Crangle distributed a binder of budget materials to each member. Materials are to be reviewed in preparation for future discussions.

Web Page:
Will contain minutes, member list, meeting schedule, and other information. http://www.plymouth.edu/finman/cbudc/homecbc.htm

Communication plan:
Need to think about what works for all groups. Should be informative, thorough but short so people will take the time to read it.  Dan Moore, Bill Crangle and Horst Freyhofer volunteered to share responsibility for communications. They will meet to work out a strategy. A suggestion that the students might be best reached through The Clock is a starting point.

Formation of an Executive Committee:
EC will include the chair of the CBC, the Director of Finance and one elected member, to meet on weeks alternate to regular meetings of the CBC. Tim Keefe was nominated and voted in as the third committee member. EC will meet before May 8 to plan the next agenda.

Meeting schedule:
Spring 01 – May 8, 15 and 22; 7:30-9am in HUB 119

Summer – to be determined

Fall 01 through Spring 02 – 2nd and 4th Tuesday mornings from 7:30-9am beginning August 28 2001. Location to be announced.

Bill wrapped up with a brief overview of the budget forecast on FY02. See Tab 5 in the book for the details.

The next scheduled meeting of the CBC will be Tuesday, May 8 from 7:30-9am in HUB 119.

Respectfully submitted,
Nancy Pettengill, Scribe

May 8, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

8 May 2001 Meeting Minutes
7:30am to 8:50am

Present: Fahey, McCahan, Wixson, Crangle, Freyhofer, Keefe, Moore J, Fogleman, Ramsay, Clark, Hage, Mathis, Barry, Moore D, Kent. Excused: Campbell, Landry. Absent: Ayers.

Informational Discussion:
* Crangle provided new handouts; appropriation information for FY03 and Steve Reno’s annual report to the Board of Trustees.
* Crangle reviewed the PSU financial condition information for 6/30/00, including an additional handout concerning tuition discount rates, in tab 8 of the CBC binder.

Communication Plan:
Communication subcommittee is Freyhofer, Fogleman and Crangle. A draft communication strategy was distributed and reviewed. A brief summary of each set of minutes will be sent via email to all employees. A reply option on those minutes was suggested to help with questions arising from the email. Both sets of minutes will be forwarded to Crangle and Wixson for review before distribution. Also suggested was an informational page on the website to help with financial terms. (There is a book on budgeting from NACUBO that explains terms; Crangle will make it available for anyone who wants to borrow it.) It was unanimously approved and adopted as written, with two minor corrections (“personnel” for “personal”, and a typo). The communication plan will be added to the website at http://www.plymouth.edu/finman/cbudc/commplan.htm.

Open meetings:
The consensus was to open all CBC meetings to the campus community, unless there is a need for a closed session due to topic, or the committee finds the open format too disruptive.

Information to students:
Will try to get info to students via the Student Senate homepage. Rob Massey, as new editor of the Clock, will also be contacted.

The committee agreed that a joint session of the College Planning Committee and the Campus Budget Committee is an important communication step.

Wixson adjourned the meeting at 8:50. The next scheduled meeting of the CBC is Tuesday, May 15 at 7:30am in HUB 119.

Respectfully submitted,
Nancy Pettengill, Scribe

May 15, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

15 May 2001 Meeting Minutes
7:30am to 8:50am

Present: Crangle, Wixson, McCahan, Moore D, Kent, Mathis, Hage, Landry, Fahey, Clark, Moore J, Keefe, Barry, Ramsay, Fogleman and Freyhofer. Excused: Campbell. Absent: Ayers.

Action Items: None.

Informational discussion : Enrollment numbers and the process of forecasting enrollment. See binder tab 4.

Format for the 2002 Strategic Plan: Between the CPC and the CBC we need to:

  • Convert the plan into a budget and link to institutional goals.
  • Simplify the plan.
  • Prioritize input from detailed departmental planning documents.
  • Educate campus on idea that the plan evolves every year (some are not aware that there is a 2001 version).
  • Take a longer view of institutional direction.
  • “Live” the plan through value budgeting.
  • Inform the campus of our successes.

The next meeting of the CBC is Tuesday, May 22 at 7:30am in HUB 119.

May 22, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

22 May 2001 Meeting Minutes
7:30 – 8:50am

Present: Freyhofer, Keefe, Crangle, Wixson, McCahan, Moore D, Mathis, Ramsay. Excused: Fogleman, Moore J, Ayers, Landry, Fahey, Kent, Campbell. Absent: Barry, Clark, Hage.

Action Items: See below for actions of the CBC Executive Committee.

Informational discussion: Budget Forecast, tab 5.

The May 15 minutes were approved as written.

Summer work:  The Executive Committee (Crangle, Keefe, Wixson) will begin formulating a work plan for the fall. They will discuss the following:

  • Contribution margin
  • Budget construction format
  • Process for carryover – ops and development
  • Financial strategic indicators – DASH
  • Short term work plan

The EC may call a meeting of those CBC members available over the summer to gather input on contribution margins and other issues.

The next scheduled meeting of the CBC will be August 28 at 7:30am in HUB 119 unless otherwise notified.

Respectfully submitted,
Nancy Pettengill, Scribe

August 28, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

28 August 2001

Present: B Fahey, N Mathis, D Kent, D Hage, E Wixson, B Crangle, S Ramsay, H Freyhofer, T Keefe. Absent: D Moore, W Fogleman, G Barry, P Campbell. Excused:  B McCahan, J Landry, J Moore, D Ayers.

A meeting of the CBC was held on August 8, 2001 from 8-10am specifically to discuss contribution margins. This is an fyi; there were no minutes taken at that meeting.

At the 8/28 meeting:

B Crangle distributed and reviewed the committee’s goals and objectives document. A draft of the full work plan will be distributed soon.

B Crangle passed out a rundown of projects completed over this past summer by Physical Plant. Also listed were major facilities planning projects for the future, including Boyd Hall, the Holderness bridge, T21, life safety and a new Master Plan.

A year-end initial budget review, prepared and sent to the president by Bill Crangle, was distributed and explained. It includes a monthly budget report for 14th month along with budgetary reports by fund.

Bill also shared the 1600 fund object code expenditures and a budget report by program.

Handouts will be mailed to those members who did not attend. Discussion will continue on these topics in future meetings.

Future handouts will be punched for inclusion in the notebooks, and coded as to which section they belong in. We will try to send many of them ahead of the meetings.

The CBC meeting schedule for this year is on the website at:
http://www.plymouth.edu/finman/cbudc/schedulecbc.htm

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, September 11 at 7:30am in HUB 119.

September 11, 2001

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

11 September 2001
7:30-8:50am

Present: Wixson, Huckins, Kent, J Moore, Ayers, D Moore, Mathis, Hage, Campbell, Fogleman, Ramsay, Freyhofer, Crangle. Excused: Barry, Fahey, Landry and McCahan.

Heather Huckins has replaced Tim Keefe as the PAT representative.

Heather was elected to replace Tim on the CBC Executive Committee.

The minutes of the May 22 and August 28 meetings were reviewed and approved as written. They should be filed under tab 1.

Bill Crangle reviewed the remainder of the materials distributed at the August 28 meeting. Distributed today were the following handouts:

  1. Updated draft of the CBC work plan for fall 2001 (tab 1)
  2. Discussion of budget issues for FY03 (tab 4)
  3. Budget change recommendations for FY03 (tab 4)

Bill reviewed the work plan and  budget issues for FY03 (benefits cost increase, short-term investment income and general liability). He plans to review the budget change recommendations at the next meeting. Please file these materials in your binders for future review.

The EC will meet in Bill’s office at 7:45am on September 12.

The next meeting of the CBC will be Tuesday, September 25 at 7:30am in HUB 119.

Featured in Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Faculty Forum: Filiz Otucu on Democracy and the Middle East

Filiz Otucu is a professor of political science and specializes in international relations, Middle Eastern politics, and the United Nations. A native of Turkey, she earned her MA at the University of Central Oklahoma, and her PhD from the University of Kentucky. Otucu teaches courses on politics and conflict in the Middle East, terrorism and […]

Example Image

Student Spotlight: Mae Williams ’14G A Twenty-first-century Preservationist

When Mae Williams ’14G enrolled in the Master of Arts in Historic Preservation program in the fall of 2012, she was drawn to the strength of a program in which, she says, “The professors are not academics locked away amidst a pile of books, but are actually out in the field on a daily basis, […]