The working group on communications met and would like to suggest the following as a communications strategy for the CBC.
- Assure the campus that the CBC is working on the budget in a collaborative way.
- Assure the campus that the CBC and CPC are able to link the strategic plan with the budget.
- Inform the campus about issues that affect the budget and about personnel issues, such as salary increases.
- Educate the campus about major issues that affect or drive the budget.
- Open up a line of communications with the student government and the student body.
- After every meeting of the CBC Nancy will create a formal set of minutes that will be placed on the CBC web page. An abbreviated set of minutes with appropriate links to handouts and narratives will also be sent to all employees. This contact with everyone on campus on a biweekly basis will give us the ability to address goals 1 – 4 without having to create a separate mailing. This would not preclude a periodic email updating the campus with more specific information about specific topics.
- We have never communicated with students before about budget issues except for our annual meeting with the Student Senate. We have a few ideas on how to get the information out to students who want to know without sending e-mail to all students.
- Our student representatives should ask the student senate to add the CBC link to their home page, so that any student wishing to have access would be able to find it.
- The CBC should approach the Clock and try and get someone from their staff to do a regular column on budget issues that deal directly with students, such as room rates and technology fees. This column would refer to the Student Senate home page.