8 January 2002
7:30 – 9am
Present: Mathis, DMoore, McCahan, Fahey, Campbell, Huckins, Wixson, Crangle, Kent and Hage. Excused: Ayers, Ramsay, Landry, Freyhofer, Barry, Fogleman, JMoore.
Discussion of Contribution Margin Analysis handout. (Tab 14)
– Must raise the level of awareness of the costs of curriculum.
– Have lacked method of tying resources to accountability
– Need to pay more attention to the carrying costs of majors that produce few graduates.
– New Gen Ed initiatives could affect more efficient use of available resources in our academic departments, in moving to a more service-oriented approach where department offerings support other majors. (Ex: a conversational foreign language course might benefit a student in the business program.)
Agenda ideas for a combined meeting of the Curriculum Committee, the CPC and the CBC:
– Contribution Margin Analysis
– Who should ask the necessary questions? Lack of answers has led us to our current dilemma.
– A financial tutorial
– The budget forecast model
The CPC should provide the path between the top level and the departments.
FYI: Cory Flack will replace Jess Moore as a student member.
The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, January 22 at 7:30am in HUB 119.