2002 Archives

October 8, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

8 October 2002

Present: Kent, Fahey, Landry, Levy, P Campbell, Mathis, Barry, Sparks, Huckins, Ramsay, Wixson, Crangle, Moore. Absent: Cantor.

The minutes from the September 24th meeting were approved as written.

Bill Crangle discussed the first quarter budget report that he sent to all members in the mail. He went over some of the reports, i.e., the number of triple rooms in use this fall (occupancy history) and an upcoming discussion on strategies for Admissions to stay at our target goal of 3700 students. Dining has more students on the meal plan than live on campus, and is up 6%. Bill credits some of that increase to the new facility.

Ginny spoke on service, which is divided into three parts;

  • Contribution – an academic department’s measured cost per credit.
  • Overall service – Signature programs, funding initiatives, retention strategy development, accreditation efforts, outreach efforts.
  • Institutional Imperative – Departments willing to look at their programs in the interest of institutional good, analyze them and make appropriate changes.

A strategic goal might be to identify more “signature” programs that would help to stimulate thinking in that direction. Signature programs require a departmental commitment to staffing and seeking funding from external sources.

Bill warned of a large wave of faculty turnover expected during the next ten years as Ginny was saying that heavy faculty turnover in a department provides a good time for assessment and change.

The Joint Committee agenda – Nine initiatives have been boiled down to six by the FBRC. The intent is to break the 10/29 session into topic discussion groups. These smaller groups should also meet after 10/29 and will present their findings at the following joint committee meeting on 12/17. All material will then go to the CBC for inclusion in next year’s agenda. Much discussion took place concerning the six initiatives; enough so that the FBRC will discuss the agenda format further at their meeting next Tuesday. Another version will be ready for final discussion at the next CBC meeting.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, October 22 at 8am in HUB 119.

October 22, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

22 October 2002

Present: Huckins, Wixson, Crangle, Moore, Bernier, Levy, Fahey, Landry, Kent, Mathis, Sparks, Hage, Ramsay, Barry, Campbell, Cantor.

The minutes were accepted as written.

Agenda for October 29 joint meeting: A discussion on transfer credits was begun that should be continued on the 29th. It will be the CBC members’ responsibility to make sure all five questions are addressed by their group. Ed will also add a line about that to the bottom of the agenda. The format and order of the agenda notice was discussed and several changes were suggested.

Ed will make suggested and a few editorial changes to the joint committee agenda and it will be emailed out with the groups list attached.

Enrollment: Bill Crangle discussed his enrollment projection memo and spreadsheets. This topic will be discussed at today’s Cabinet meeting. Bill explained his model based on fall headcount by grade. Admissions needs a goal for their work this year. Based on the model, we will hit 3780 students, which is above our target enrollment. Pat Cantor pointed out that looking at capacity with an institutional eye is very different from the departmental perspective. We also discussed the economy’s impact on projected enrollments. We will create more problems with retention by overloading our campus if we must resort to the use of off-campus housing to accommodate them.

Please remember the Joint Committee Meeting on Tuesday, October 29 at 8am in the Heritage Commons. The next regular CBC meeting is Tuesday, November 12 at 8am in HUB 119.

November 26, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

26 November 2002

Present: Wixson, Crangle, Shen, Kent, Campbell, Huckins, Quigley, Landry, Fahey, Hage, Bernier, Levy, Moore, Sparks. Guests: Bob Tuveson, Danielle Benedict. Excused: Barry, Cantor, Mathis, Ramsay.

The October 22 minutes were accepted as written.

Bill reported that spring term pre-registration was high with over 90% of eligible full-time students pre-registering for their classes.

Bob Tuveson, Director of Financial Aid, passed out handouts and gave an overview of financial aid expenditures by program and source over the last ten years. Aid has increased from approximately 12 million in 1992 to 26 million today. Out of 44 million PSU receives in tuition, room/board and fees, financial aid awards account for 26 million of it. The average indebtedness of our students upon graduation is $17,000.

Ellen Shippee and Mike Horton will join the next meeting to discuss deferred maintenance.

There is no indication from the governor-elect on his plans for higher education. A recent 45-minute presentation by Ed MacKay elicited no response.

The 10/29 discussion notes from the five joint committee groups were consolidated into one document and sent out on email to all members prior to this meeting. A question of what to do next will be composed by Dan Moore and Linda Levy and sent out from the Faculty Budget and Resource Committee to all participants asking each committee to be ready to present a response to that question at the 12/17 joint committee meeting.

Richard Sparks will summarize the notes for the next meeting.

Nancy will send out the message for Dan from the FBRC.

The remaining section of the 12/17 meeting, following discussion of the above, will be designed by the FBRC at its meeting next Tuesday. It could be to choose one of the five remaining issues for discussion in the spring.

The next meeting of the CBC is Tuesday, December 10 at 8am in HUB 119.

December 10, 2002

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

10 December 2002
8:00 – 9:20am

Present: Wixson, Huckins, Kent, Barry, Moore, Mathis, Fahey, Bernier, Levy, Ramsay, Campbell. Guests: Ellen Shippee, Mike Horton. Excused: Cantor, Crangle. Absent: Freyhofer, Quigley, Landry, Hage.

The minutes of the November 26th meeting were accepted as written.

Mike Horton gave out two handouts and some background on deferred maintenance, which now totals $11.8 million; 8.5% of the renewal cost of $138.7 million.

Ellen Shippee had more handouts and talked about the current R&R (repair and replacement) budget, which is just under $2 million. She and Bill Crangle are working on a six-year plan for R&R money, beginning in FY05-06. The plan is to prevent newer buildings from becoming deferred by working on them first, then work backward towards the older buildings. The PE Center, which is the building in most dire need, could become a capital project in a few years. Ellen passed out a forecast of deferred maintenance funding. Plans are to add $200,000 per year to the deferred maintenance fund, barring further funding cuts from the state.

Barbara Fahey clarified that the student fee driven funds, such as the HUB and the technology fee, are included in the general R&R figures, but they are specifically targeted and spent for the uses intended; they do not actually go into Physical Plant’s general R&R fund.

The joint committee meeting on December 17 (HUB MPR at 8am) will be a follow up on the 10/29 meeting. The Faculty Budget and Resource Committee (FBRC) will present their response to the 15-free-electives issue first, with the CBC presenting last. Julie will take notes during the meeting and project them onto a screen for everyone to see. What should be CBC say? Ginny pointed out that the lack of resources to maintain the current curriculum is the major issue. Efficiency – how to teach students better without taxing our budgets further. This is a good opportunity to present our current situation honestly. In addition, the CBC needs to continue moving along the other issues presented to it by the University Planning Committee last year.

Ginny will speak for the CBC on the cohesive vision of the problem of matching our resources to what we do, and addressing the rising cost of tuition for NH families.

Beyond the joint meeting of 12/17, the next regular meeting of the CBC will be January 14 at 8am in HUB 119.

Featured in Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Seeing Further: Into the North Country

  The Lancaster Project, an integrated cluster initiative that uses a multidisciplinary approach, focuses on bringing more life to the small business community on Main Street, particularly the historical Lancaster National Bank building, in Lancaster, New Hampshire. The project capitalizes on the varied knowledge of 60 students from 10 different academic majors. Collaborative groups work […]

Example Image

Building the Heart of The Health and Human Enrichment Cluster

[su_slider source=”media: 12965,12966,12842,12844″ limit=”4″ link=”image” width=”550″ height=”320″ responsive=”no” title=”no” pages=”no”] PSU’s visionary approach to education is tearing down academic silos and creating seven interdisciplinary academic clusters that promote an integrated educational experience. The Integrated Cluster approach prepares students to be 21st century marketplace standouts and builds real-world collaborations between the University, industry, and communities. At […]

Example Image

Ut Prosim: A Cultural Exchange in Jamaica

On Sunday, January 8, six Plymouth State students and their instructor, Jessica Dutille ’03, ’04G, boarded a plane bound for Jamaica, leaving the remnants of a snowstorm behind them in favor of a week of sun and 80-degree weather. But this was no vacation. This was a service-learning trip in which Dutille, an instructor in […]