2004 Archives

January 29, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

29 January 2004

Present: Sparks, Tinnell, Staples, Mathis, Fahey, Maynard, Moore, Crangle, JPClark, Thurston, Hage. Excused: Landry, Driscoll, Barry, Bernier, Rousseau.

The November minutes were approved as written.

December financial and budget review by Bill Crangle:

  • PSU has the lowest receivables in the USNH.

  • Heavily in-state mix will keep us behind last year.

  • Res Life is doing well enough to put away money towards deferred maintenance and other projects (Pemi this summer).

  • Dining is doing exceptionally well.

  • The HUB is doing well enough to fund a weight/locker room upgrade this summer.

Negotiations with the town on a safety services agreement continue. Regardless of how those negotiations go, the increase in payments for next year will be significant.

We will overspend in utilities this year as oil prices continue to rise.

The state appropriation could go up 3% this year, tuition 6%, and fees 4%.

The state is looking at a $300 million deficit.

Nothing concrete yet from the governor’s office or USNH, but many Trustees are convinced there will be a rescission next year.

Bill shared an enrollment growth chart from FY04 to FY14. The majority of the growth is in design capacity (live-in students) increasing from 2090 students in 2004 to 2690 by 2014. The goal is to get 65% of our student population to live on campus, up from the current 56%.

Work must be done to bring our retention percentage up to the high 70’s, where a school of our type should be. The new gen ed program should help.

Roger expressed concern that the committee is not paying enough attention to assessment.

Bill has begun an assessment and recommendation for 2004. He will meeting with Ginny soon and bring a draft letter to a later CBC meeting.

Nick reviewed R+30 data. Roger was concerned with what appeared to be increased class sizes. Dan pointed out that the numbers represent an average only. A discussion of class size issues followed.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, February 10 from 8-9:30 in HUB 119.

February 10, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

10 February 2004

Present: Crangle, Moore, Thurston, Fahey, Landry, Tinnell, Driscoll, Cocchiarella, JPClark, Sparks. Absent: Hage, Mathis, Bernier, Barry, Rousseau, Mulloy, Bobusia, Staples, Davis, Maynard.

Roger wanted his concern about assessment added to the minutes of the January 29th meeting. He feels that assessment should be on every agenda. The 1/29 minutes were then approved as amended.

Bill Crangle began a discussion and review of the Financial Aid budget and student fees.

Financial Aid will be $100K short in need based scholarships due to the mix shifting more towards in-state.  There was a short discussion of NEHBE, which is a cooperative agreement among schools in New England to attract students by offering them discounted tuition for programs that are not offered in their home state. Bill promised to bring more information on this to the next meeting.

The Financial Aid report being submitted to the Trustees next month shows the discount in our revenue that we offer to attract students. Bill pointed out that Keene spends less but receives more revenue from out-of-state students due to the regions from which the schools attract most of their students; Western CT for Keene vs Eastern MA for PSU.

All mandatory student fees must be approved by the BOT every year (includes housing and dining). Student approval is required first. Work on the auxiliary budgets is begun in October to determine the rates for next year.

PSU is working on a plan to reduce deferred maintenance in the residence halls. For example, Pemi Hall will get new windows and upgrades to bathrooms and sprinklers this summer, plus new fire alarm systems. All the halls combined have $800,000 to over $1 million worth of deferred maintenance, except for Mary Lyon, on which the tab is much higher. Since these funds come from auxiliary budgets, they are not affected by state appropriations in any way. Our capacity has to be as close to 100% as possible in order to continue addressing deferred maintenance issues. Deferred maintenance is on the agenda for a later CBC meeting.

Roger expressed concern over the lack of discussion on the quality of instruction, which is our main product. He requests a discussion at a later meeting. Richard suggested the only way to really assess how “something is going” is to ask the students. We need an update on that issue from Julie Bernier. Bill added that other committees are looking at the issue. The CBC’s charge is to fund the recommendations of the UPC.

The next meeting, on February 24, will complete the discussion of fees, then move into the other agenda items listed in the 2004 work plan.

February 24, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

24 February 2004

Present: Mathis, Landry, Fahey, Staples, Tinnell, Crangle, JPClark, Thurston, Hage, Driscoll. Absent: Moore, Sparks, Davis, Maynard, Rousseau, Barry, Bernier.

Bill Crangle shared information on student fees and auxiliary budgets. Students will attend a Board of Trustees meeting with PSU administration in April to present the student fee schedule. The proposed housing increases will fund deferred maintenance repairs starting with Pemi this summer.

Utilities could go $200,000 over budget due to oil prices. Dick pointed out the current lack of campus awareness of energy conservation. Bill reminded us that the campus theme for FY05 is environmental sustainability, and efforts will be made to begin some new energy initiatives.

The group agreed to support the auxiliary fees as presented.

USNH requested that the campuses figure budgets on 3% and 5% decreases in case the governor requests one. Meeting handouts include summary budgets showing a 3% increase, a 3% cut, and a 5% cut. Cuts would change the role of this committee from one of recommending funding for initiatives to one of finding ways to trim the budget.

Bill presented an overview of tuition rates and enrollment. Nick mentioned that the national average of students who graduate with a Bachelor’s degree is much lower than people think. Retention rates are low everywhere because many students these days choose to transfer. First year student engagement is a high priority. Nick stated that the reason for losing them is elusive; it could be geographic, but “something” isn’t working for us. John asked if it was smart of us to work so hard to recruit the out-of-state student at a higher rate when the attrition rate is so high.

Roger reported that the FBRC discussed the assessment of curricular recommendations of the CBC, particularly raising class size, eliminating required courses, reducing programs, consolidating departments, etc. Questions raised were:

  • What has been done to raise class size? How many courses eliminated? Caps raised? What will it take to reach the recommendation of 25? Does raising class size change pedagogy and teaching methods? How does it affect student centered learning? Does it affect students with learning disabilities?
  • What are peer institutions doing? Other system institutions?
  • What happens to autonomy of departments if the VP does the trimming?
  • Is there an impact study on the effect in recruitment and retention?
  • Have students been involved in the decision process?
  • Have faculty committees discussed or voted on these recommendations? What has been faculty reaction to the proposed increased workload?

The FBRC plans to increase communication between the committee and departments by inviting department chairs to join them for discussion and to share a freshened vision of their present situation and future needs. Roger also requested that the FBRC reports be moved to earlier in the CBC meeting agenda.

Most of the next meeting on March 9 will be spent on R&R and deferred maintenance. The meeting adjourned at 9:25.

March 9, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

9 March 2004

Present: Staples, Hage, Landry, Cocchiarella, JPClark, Crangle, Moore, Tinnell, Sparks, Thurston, Driscoll, Maynard, Mathis. Absent: Davis, Fahey, Bernier.

The minutes were approved as written, with one abstention.

Roger reported on the FRBC’s last meeting. Minutes will now be taken and posted on the web. They discussed retention, and gathering department chairs to talk about departmental plans and budgets. Retention has a huge impact on the budget – perhaps Financial Aid can help with more academic scholarships to help keep students here. Dick Hage said Admissions is looking at the problem of first- and second-year student attrition, especially of out-of-state students. Roger asked how larger class sizes might affect retention. Dick replied that many of the exit interviews reveal financial reasons as the most common for leaving. Undecided students are the largest group to leave (nationally). National research also does not indicate larger class size has having much effect on the decisions of students who leave a school.

Ellen Shippee and Gail Stone were present for a discussion of deferred maintenance issues. Ellen offered an explanation of deferred maintenance (DM) in general, and the building audit conducted in 2001 for all major buildings except Boyd and Prospect, which were slated for renovation. Handouts illustrated that approximately $2.9 million must be put into DM annually until 2024 to address the problem, and the reinvestment projections for all buildings. She also shared a list of the components that auditors examine for the PE Center and Mary Lyon Hall, a facilities capital planning summary report, and an R&R (repair and replacement) budget for FY03-05.

Dan asked if Ellen can prioritize the biggest DM needs on campus, which she will do.

John P. Clark wants to see the CBC endorse Physical Plant’s efforts to address this problem.

Roger asked how DM and R&R affect the academic teaching budget. Dan noted that many of the DM priorities are academic buildings. In past years, R&R has been cut in favor of keeping the academic department budgets level, which contributed to the current situation.

Nick noted that a major concern for parents is the life safety of the residence halls. Questions come up at every orientation. Ellen said this summer will see the last of the life safety projects, thus completing life safety work on all PSU’s residence halls.

Bill reiterated that PSU is trying hard to generate revenue to help fund the academic departments. Such initiatives include expanding graduate studies and continuing education, and offering use of our facilities to outside groups during summer months.

The March 23rd CBC meeting has been CANCELLED.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, April 13 in the Student Senate Room (HUB 119).

April 27, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

27 April 2004

Present: JPClark, Crangle, Driscoll, Fahey, Hage, Landry, Mathis, Maynard, Moore, Sparks, Staples, Tinnell, Thurston.

The minutes from the previous meeting were not available. Therefore, they will be reviewed at the next meeting.

Tunnel Vision – The article concerning demographics in New England was discussed. It was noted that in New England, New Hampshire was adding people while many of our sister states were net losers of population. New Hampshire was also the only New England state to have a net increase of bachelor degree holders.

Discussion of Cabinet budget priorities that were endorsed by the University Planning Committee:

  • Budget figures reflect a 3% increase in state appropriation.

  • Salaries indicate an increase of 4.5%.

  • Town agreement includes an additional $146,000. Next year we should review just how this should be funded as it is nearing $400,000.

  • Scholarship increases signal a desire to provide achievement-based aid to both in-state and out-of-state students.

  • Two items represent increases to Campus Police for professional membership dues and additional dependent benefits.

  • OS positions are to be added in Financial Aid Office, Bursar, Grants, and HR in order to handle greater demands.

  • Additional funds are needed in Career Services to handle logistics for international programs.

Additional discussions:

  • The 1.5% tuition increase was seen as probable.

  • Utilities were projected at a 9% increase.

A motion was made and seconded that the CBC endorse these recommendations. While the motion was carried on a voice vote, Roger Tinnell voiced his concerns that the budget priorities do not invest more in the faculty. He is also concerned that the CBC seems to be rubber-stamping priorities that were already being acted upon.

Discussion on the possible CLL merger focused on the impact on current and future budgets. This merger is still under consideration by the Board of Trustees.

Richard Sparks passed out a document outlining energy concerns and possible solutions. We will discuss these at our next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 9:15am

Submitted by Daniel P. Moore

May 11, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

11 May 2004

Present: Staples, Fahey, Landry, Thurston, Hage, Mathis, Driscoll, Tinnell, Moore, Sparks.

The minutes from the April 27th meeting were approved as amended.

Richard Sparks gave a report from the FRBC. In efforts to meet their goal of meeting with all academic departments, the committee has so far met with the chairs of four departments; HPER, Business, Library, and Criminal Justice. A fifth is scheduled for Thursday. Discussions involve the department’s hopes, dreams, initiatives, budget, and how the department supports its initiatives (grants, curriculum, etc). The process will continue in the fall. Roger Tinnell hopes for an open forum next year to share the information collected in these meetings with the rest of the faculty. On a related note, Dan Moore hopes that future dept meetings with Ann Thurston will help to repair lack of connection between department activities and their budgets.

Nick wants to see more discussion of what our core values really are. Department chairs are given little guidance in looking to the future. Values have been discussed but only in general terms as evidenced by the mission statement.

Dick Hage noted that there is a perceived need at the top to control the “bottom line”. Conversation is needed with chairs to discuss a framework for what they need. Ideas and creativity should flow up (and down). We need a process for new ideas to be communicated at the very beginning when they are just a seed.

Nick suggested adding a statement to the mission that departments should be encouraged to pursue ideas that take advantage of PSU’s unique natural setting.

Richard noted that next year’s academic theme is the environment. The “greening of campus” is a good topic for this group because conservation is an investment in savings. We cannot conserve without investing. Roger suggested putting this topic at the top of the agenda for next fall, at the start of the environmentally themed year.

Richard wants to see the environmental focus at PSU extend over the next five years. Dick suggested asking Ellen Shippee to identify the projects that related to greening, identify the savings, and prioritize them. Accountability is needed to make sure we are investing wisely for the future.

Also suggested for next year’s agenda was examining the status of projects/suggestions previously approved by this committee. Assessment should be a priority topic.

The possible CLL/PSU merger was very briefly discussed. Where is the faculty input? Depending on the outcome of the current investigation, the merger could be a major topic for the fall.

September 14, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

14 September 2004

Present: Staples, Fahey, Landry, Mathis, Huckins, Crangle, Sparks, McCool, Hage, Thurston, Hines, Cocchiarella.

Richard Sparks agreed to chair the meetings until elections can be held. Bill Crangle suggested not electing anyone this week because all members have not yet been chosen (there are three faculty vacancies). Faculty Speaker Gary McCool is working on filling those spots.

Bill handed out a proposed work plan for 2004-05, listed in no particular order. Bill briefly described the items on the list, which included development of the biennial budget for 06-07, which has just been delivered to the governor’s office. Bill will have a formal plan ready for the next meeting. Please send any additional discussion items to Nancy Pettengill (nancyp@plymouth.edu) before the end of next week.

Bill went over the 2005 budgets for General Fund, Residential Life, Dining, and the HUB. He also mentioned that enrollment looks good in both total numbers and the mix. We have 335 unconfirmed students, which is fairly normal for this time of year. Did everyone read the annual finance report that Bill sent out on email in August?

Richard noted that the issue of increases in the cost of benefits on a national level should be an ongoing topic for the CBC.

The next Campus Budget Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 28 at 8am in the Student Senate Room.

September 28, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

28 September 2004

Present: Huckins, Fahey, Landry, McCool, Hines, Driscoll, Mathis, Hage, Crangle, Sparks, Moore. Excused: Staples, Thurston, Bernier.

Richard Sparks will chair the meeting until elections, which were again delayed because several members were absent. Dan Moore assumed Roger Tinnell’s spot on the FBRC, and therefore filled one of the faculty vacancies on this committee. One vacancy remains on both committees.

The FBRC has not yet met, so they had no report.

Bill Crangle reviewed the Cogeneration Operation – We can perhaps use “jacket water” off the existing engines to heat the planned new residence halls, but beyond that we will need a new source of power. Ellen Shippee attended to help explain current and future cogen and energy issues.

Barbara Fahey presented the oil forecast for 2005, which will become a frequent topic of discussion for this committee. A new Irving contract for #2 oil has just been signed at $1.27 per gallon. A contract with Global for #6 is in process at $39.77 per barrel.

Ellen wondered if the CBC might recommend to campus a list of things to consider in terms of saving electricity. Bill suggested a document co-signed by the chairs of the CBC and Environmental Committee that outlines ways to save energy as part of the “green” year theme.

Benefits are projected to cost 43% of salary by FY07. A USNH cost containment group is working on this issue. Bill will bring that information to this group at a future meeting.

The BOT asked the state for an additional $100K for deferred maintenance. Bill offered three budget scenarios for state appropriations; +3%, flat, and -3%. Even with a +3% appropriation we’d still have a $900K shortfall in FY07. The -3% model would leave us $2.2 million short. Note that these models do assume the usual pay increases, deferred maintenance amounts, benefits increases, etc., any of which could fall victim to a shortfall.

Discussion on the town payment was deferred until the next meeting on Tuesday, October 12 at 8am in the HUB Student Senate Room.

October 12, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

12 October 2004

Present: Sparks, Crangle, Huckins, Staples, Fahey, Landry, Mackey, McCool, Hines, Driscoll, Thurston, Barry, Hage, Moore, Mathis. Guest: Cocchiarella.

The minutes from the September 28 meeting were approved as written. The committee welcomed new member David Mackey from Criminal Justice.

FBRC Report: Alice Staples is the new committee chair. 2004-05 members are Alice, Daniel Moore, David Mackey, Richard Sparks, Gary McCool, and Ann Thurston. They will meet on 2nd and 4th Thursdays at 8am.

Richard Sparks was elected as CBC chair.

Bill Crangle discussed enrollment and retention history. The cabinet will meet to talk about capacity and next fall’s first year class – what our target is and the percentage of yield that we can rely on. One problem with admitting more first-years is the first-year seminar course. There are too few faculty available to teach more sections. Other questions included how big we can allow the first year class to grow, keeping retention in mind, and still have a margin to fund initiatives (otherwise known as living within our enrollment). Bill pointed out that the graduate enrollment spreadsheet figures are shown as FFTE (full-time financial equivalent), not the actual number of students sitting in seats. This is somewhat misleading since it shows the numbers as lower than they actually are.

Bill also began to speak about the town safety payment increase. The president asked the CBC to develop ways to help fund the annual payment, which at present is approximately $340,000. Discussion of this topic will be continued at the next meeting.

Also on the next agenda will be a review of comparator institutions.

The next CBC meeting will be Tuesday, October 26 from 8-9:20 in the Lamson Library Tower. Please note the change in location.

October 26, 2004

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

26 October 2004

Present: Fahey, Staples, Crangle, Sparks, Driscoll, Thurston, McCool, Huckins, Mathis, Hines, Barry, Cocchiarella, Moore, Mackey. Absent: Bernier, Landry, Hage.

The minutes were approved as written.

FBRC report: Alice said the committee plans to meet with the department chairs as soon as dates in November can be arranged.

Nick distributed and explained the IPEDS Report (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System), which collects data from all institutions and educational organizations in the country.

Bill presented the PSU Comparator Report, which takes the bulk of its information from the IPEDS Report. All schools listed are Masters One schools except for Keene State. KSC no longer matches up very well with PSU but remains on the list. These comparators are used to set aspirations for growth along with a measure of how we are doing compared to other schools. Bill discussed many of the comparator categories, such as enrollment, admissions, costs, and retention.

Also distributed was a handout on cost benefit containment efforts. Bill asked that everyone read the handout before the next meeting, when Carol Kuzdeba from Human Resources will join the CBC for a discussion.

The next CBC meeting will be on Tuesday, November 9 at 8am in the HUB Student Senate Room (119).

Featured in Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Another Way to Serve

“It was like moving to a foreign country with a completely different culture,” says PSU student Patrick O’Sullivan. The 26-year-old veteran isn’t referring to his time in Iraq as a motor transport operator in the Army Reserve. He’s talking about coming home. O’Sullivan joined the Army Reserve right out of high school, at an age […]

Example Image

Faculty Forum: Irene Cucina

Professor Irene Cucina has been teaching in the Department of Health and Human Performance since 1998. Prior to coming to Plymouth State, she had a rewarding career as a high school health and physical education teacher and coach in Newton, MA. Her commitment to students and learning has been recognized by her peers through a […]