2005 Archives

January 25, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

25 January 2005

Present: Hines, Sparks, Huckins, Fahey, Mathis, Mackey, Crangle, Hage, Bernier, Moore, McCool, Landry.

No FBRC report was given as there had been no meeting on which to report.

Julie reported on the UPC. Charged by the president to make recommendations for action from examination of five key documents (listed in previous minutes), the UPC will finalize their recommendations at the next meeting and submit them to Dr. Wharton. The cabinet is working in parallel with the UPC to develop a list of budget needs for next year. The cabinet will send those needs to the UPC, from which they will come to the CBC.

Barbara Fahey gave an energy report by reviewing two handouts; Utilities Projections for 2005, and Utilities Forecast FY2006-2008, which led to an extensive energy discussion. Substantial price increases are predicted in fuel oil and electricity that will continue to exceed our budget. Richard emphasized the need for two types of conservation – capital improvements and changes in behavior. Waste management is another potential problem. With only two landfills left in the state of New Hampshire, we may face a future crisis in the disposal of our solid waste.

Bill reviewed FY06 budget prep. We requested a 6.7% increase from the board and hope that we will end up with 3%. Judy built a model based on 3% that does not include utilities and strategic plan priorities, which could mean $400K to $800K more to the budget.

Bill also began a discussion about comparator data, beginning with costs and financial aid, which will continue into the next meeting. Nancy will send out the comparator charts via email for review.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, February 8 at 8am in the HUB Student Senate Room (119).

February 22, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

February 22, 2005

Present: Moore, Mathis, Thurston, Stone, Landry, Fahey, Huckins, Potter, Hage, Sparks, Crangle, Cocchiarella, McCool

FBRC – no report as last meeting was cancelled due to weather.

Bill Crangle had emailed the fees schedule to this group for discussion. Students have not been attending the CBC meetings but they will have a chance to discuss the fees at the Senate meeting March 6th. The fees will then go to the Board of Trustees in April.

Students are involved in the process for the Residential Life, Dining and HUB budgets. The budgets are reviewed in great detail. The rates for benefits and salaries are the same for the auxiliaries as they are for the general fund.

New Residence Hall: we will break ground May 2005 to open in fall 2006. 350 new beds. Frank mentioned it will be for 200 additional students and a transfer of 150 from triples and build up space. Mary Lyon will come off line for a year for a major $12,500,000 renovation. As we go forward there will be a renewed focus on staffing levels, adding to reserves, major R& R on the other residence halls.

We are competitive with off campus housing.

Utilities Plan – raising awareness for next year. New Residence hall has many energy efficient and energy saving features.

Dining will offer more block plans where you buy a certain number of meals over the semester and not over the week as in a traditional plan. We are going to Continuous Dining. Dining Services is up for rebid in a few years. We have been happy with Sodexho. The Comment Board has been a good source for students to give advice and comments. They get results. Dining area was complimented for the new sofa area and the Newfound Room.

Mandatory Fees:
Student Activities – allocation hearings are just ending. Students made many changes. Fee will increase about 2.3%. Cheerleaders and Women’s Ice Hockey will be switched to Athletics. Someday we may break out Athletics into a separate fee. Some concern that the organizations do not have an opportunity to appeal. (Follow-up to this discussion – Phil Atkinson said each group is told the full Senate will be approving the budgets and that they should attend that meeting. I believe he thinks they could appeal at that time.) The Student Senate Allocation committee had talked with Bill about getting some guidance. They do have a set of values and a mission statement.

  • Transportation fee – UNH and KSC have one. Our shuttle has seen a big increase in usage from 106,000 riders last year to 120,000 this year.

  • Student Health Services – includes Health Services, the Psychological Counseling Center and the Wellness program.

  • Student Recreation, Hartman Union Fee – Terri Potter explained the HUB and Recreation fees includes the Venture Center – shares a position with Health and Human Performance department (HPER). They have plans to add $98,000 for new equipment in the Snack Bar ($25,000 in FY07 and $100,000 in FY08) They need to pay for a new electrical panel – $30,000. They have a serious storage problem and may have to find space off site. They have set money aside over the past couple of years for a major renovation – about $650,000. After that the next big project is the Court room floor and a new roof within 5 years.

  • Registration Fee – covers graduation, transcripts, registration, student post office boxes.

  • Tech Fee – we have not had enough funds recently to fund innovation – only enough to replace what we had funded in the past. The increase is to finish the multi-media project and for innovation.

  • Dan Moore suggested we could eliminate lab 114 and require students to buy laptops. There could be more discussion on this in the future. Some media classrooms are experiencing low usage and will probably be moved.

    The next CBC meeting is Tuesday March 8, 2005 at 8 A.M. (Cancelled due to curtailed operations.)

April 12, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

12 April 2005

Mathis, Staples, Sparks, Moore, Crangle, Huckins, Hage, Petz.

FBRC Update: Alice
The FBRC has been looking at undergraduate courses with enrollment of 9 or fewer students. They will meet again on April 19 to complete their study and form recommendations. An upcoming chairs’ mini-retreat will also discuss program distribution.

Energy Subcommittee: Richard
A brainstorming session identified some areas in which PSU wastes energy, and ideas for how we can save it. The resulting document was distributed to the committee prior to the meeting via email. Nick thinks the CBC should recommend to the president that all new buildings meet certain energy savings and certifications before building plans are approved. We are moving in the right direction with the new campus housing, but we missed many opportunities with the Boyd project. The subcommittee’s document will be shared with the UEC (University Environmental Committee). Dick suggested that Bill’s energy report, due to the president in May, should include definitive statements (i.e., action steps) regarding the campus’ commitment to energy conservation. A small committee is working with Bill to write the report. The energy subcommittee also recommends the development of an emergency energy plan. Anyone with suggestions or additions for the subcommittee’s document should contact Richard Sparks as soon as possible.

Student Fees: Bill
Bill presented the final USNH student fees for 2006. The housing costs of the other campuses will help determine pricing for our new residence hall. Bill went through a comparison of the fees across UNH, KSC, and PSU. Dick and Bill will meet with the Student Senate Executive Board this week to discuss allocation issues.

Tuition Income: Bill
A slight increase was budgeted for out-of-state tuition income, and a decrease in in-state tuition income. Next year’s enrollment is being projected as similar to this year.

FY06 Budget Prep: Bill
Two new fund groups have been created for the graduate and evening divisions that will make reporting easier and cleaner for those areas. The cabinet is working on a list of FY06 priorities. These total around $600,000 which, along with a $182,000 budget shortfall, amounts to $782,000 needed to balance and fund the additional priorities. Bill will talk about this more at the next meeting.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, April 26 at 8am in HUB 119.

May 5, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

5 May 2005

Crangle, Sparks, Mackey, Landry, Petz, Fahey, Hage, Moore, Staples, Thurston, Mathis.

The minutes from the April 12 meeting were approved as written.

Bill discussed tuition projections for FY06 through 09. We always try to project less than the actual to have a cushion. Pre-registration was successful. Admissions exceeded their goal. Unfortunately tuition will continue to increase (up to $14,000 for out-of-state by 2009). There is concern about where the wall is on out-of-state tuition rates.

Next up was the room, board, and student fees for FY06. Dan asked how many students who live off campus eat on the dining plans. A surprising number of them do, perhaps owing to Sodexho’s improvements.

Bill then reviewed the list of FY06 priorities from the cabinet. He mentioned that our short-term investment income increased by 25% (the most in the USNH) due to our better cash management. Each VP’s priority list was reviewed separately.

Since Bill presented a balanced request budget, there was no need for the committee to approve anything. Bill asked the members to consider the information before the next CBC meeting (May 10) and bring any concerns to the table at that time.

Adjourned at 9:37.

May 10, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

10 May 2005

Mathis, McCool, Crangle, Moore, Huckins, Staples, Fahey, Landry, Petz, Sparks, Thurston.

Bill asked the committee to recommend to the president the acceptance of the FY06 budget request. Dan Moore moved, and Alice Staples seconded, to do so. Bill will take the recommendation to the cabinet and president.

Alice gave an update on the FBRC. They are still working on how to deal with classes with low enrollments – how best to manage our resources to, as Dan put it, “contribute to the knowledge and skills of our students”. This led to some discussion on the issue of moving into a 4-credit curriculum. Nick suggested using WebCT, which would allow us the flexibility to go to 4-credits without changing our current class schedule.

Bill presented and reviewed his draft of the FY05 third quarter budget update. Addressed to the president, this letter will be sent to all employees following final approval by the CBC (via email).

The energy subcommittee submitted its report to Bill for use in preparing a final report for Dr. Wharton due this month. The University Environmental Committee also received the report. They have not yet taken any action on it.

The group developed a preliminary list for next fall’s work plan:

1.      Contribution margin and contribution in service

2.      Programs with low enrollment

3.      margin and reserves

4.      Energy problem (DPW to join discussion)

5.      Health care (SPPC reps to join discussion)

6.      Comparators (update from Nick)

7.      New system-wide strategic indicators

8.      R&R and Deferred Maintenance

9.      Student fees (start early with student allocations committee)

10.  Graduate budget (Dennise, Doreen to join discussion)

11.  Financial Aid

12.  Compensation and benefits

Bill asked for a couple of volunteers to develop a questionnaire to assess the effectiveness of the CBC. What did we do right? What was done wrong? What brings us to meetings? etc. Richard offered to do that using Bill’s questionnaire from the first year of the CBC as a model.

Richard commented that an alternative agenda is needed for CBC meetings that Bill cannot attend. Nick suggested that one of those backup topics could be energy issues. Bill also suggested that Nick could always talk about comparators.

This last CBC meeting of FY05 was adjourned at 9:20am.

September 27, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

27 September 2005

Present: Petz, Crangle, Sparks, Huckins, Boggess, Staples, Landry, Fahey, Moore, Levy, Shen, Mathis, Thurston, Cocchiarella.

Richard Sparks was nominated and unanimously elected as the 2005-06 committee chair.

The Faculty Budget & Resource Committee (FBRC) has not met, so no report was given.

Bill opened discussion on energy issues. Costs are estimated to top $750,000 this year. In July we locked a price on #6 heating oil of $58 per barrel ($1.39/gal) and are currently working with NH Electric Coop on electricity options. We have not locked into a price for #2 oil to run the cogen plant. Because the break-even point between cogen and the coop is $1.85/gallon for #2, we will try switching between cogen and the NHEC power grid as prices fluctuate. PSU is currently on NHEC power.
Air conditioners were removed early and temps in office/classroom buildings will be set lower this winter. Donnie Perrin’s online energy saving notices will be repeated and possibly presented in other formats. An hourly person checks all buildings every evening for lights or air conditioners left on and other energy waste. Zhizhang Shen suggested some incentive for departments that save energy, perhaps a small return to a department’s budget. Bill replied that since we are already overspending the energy budget that is not possible now, but could be kept in mind for the future.
We will receive $3.4 million in capital project funds for infrastructure to replace steam lines next summer (Hyde to Speare) and some cosmetic issues like the Hyde parking lot. The engineers are looking at using more of that money towards getting more steam lines done and saving the parking lot work until later. Bill is working on identifying other funds for further energy savings work.

Last year was a very good one for the budget according to Bill’s handout summary of FY2005 general fund operations. The auxiliaries also did very well. Residential Life, Dining, and the HUB all invested funds in deferred maintenance. Discussion followed on details of the report.

Bill also reviewed Nick’s weekly report on preliminary undergraduate headcounts (R+21) for fall. Growth in enrollment continues to be mainly from improved retention.

Res Life/housing issues will be discussed by this committee earlier than usual this year due to the large projects underway in those areas; the Langdon Woods complex and upcoming Mary Lyon renovation.

The CBC will receive a handout on selected strategic indicators, which will be referred to often during this year’s discussions.

Bill gave a quick recap of his 2006 budget message.

If anyone has a topic they would like to see added to this year’s work plan agenda, please email them to Nancy at nancyp@plymouth.edu.

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, October 11 at 8am in HUB 119.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:15am.

October 11, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

11 October 2005

Present: Sparks, Staples, Levy, Shen, Boggess, Landry, Mathis, Moore, Cocchiarella, Crangle, Huckins, Stone.

FBRC Report:  Richard Sparks reported on the course enrollment study done by Ann Thurston (handout) and him. Fall 2004 and Spring 2005 courses with under 10 students enrolled amounted to 12.1% of the total courses. This info could be valuable in discussions of planning and class size. Points to be examined include equipment per student issues, upper vs lower division, when courses are offered, and how the new Gen Ed structure will affect them. Richard recommended the information go to the Council of Chairs along with any related comparator info available. The University Planning Committee might also find it useful.

Bill and Frank opened a discussion about housing rates and auxiliary funds. The Langdon Woods project, at $27 million, and the Mary Lyon renovation project at $15 million will add more than $45 million to Residential Life debt. They reviewed a 3-year projection for Res Life. Revenue growth is expected with the addition of the new beds. A 4-5 year game plan exists for other residence hall projects, including many that are energy related. Langdon Woods room rates will be higher due to the amenities available to residents of that building. The rates will be taken to the students in November to give them a preview of how rates are looking for FY07.

A budget update was deferred to the next meeting.

Bill and Nick reviewed comparator information on cost of attendance, and the affordability index. This discussion will be continued at the next CBC meeting on Tuesday, October 25 at 8am in HUB 119.

October 25, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

25 October 2005

Mathis Levy, Shen, Boggess, Fahey, Sparks, Crangle, Huckins, Bernier, Thurston.

1. There was no FBRC report. Bill offered them carry-over funds for academic departments as a topic for discussion.

2. Energy: Bill and his energy team are working with several forecast models. Cogen has been shut down from September through November in favor of purchasing electricity from the Coop more cheaply than producing it from oil at a $20,000 savings so far. We also locked in on #2 oil through February 2006 at $1.98/gallon. In March we will begin to look at locking at price for the remainder of the year. Bill reviewed a handout that summarizes where we are now; heading for a $700,000 shortfall. The energy impact of the addition of Langdon Woods is still unknown.

3. Comparators: Bill distributed Nick’s handout of overlap comparators. These are the schools with which PSU overlaps for interested students. These numbers don’t necessarily mean that the students follow through to application or acceptance. They represent only those students who have enough interest in PSU to send us their test scores. This list changes over time. It is important to look at both comparators and competitors.

Next was a continuation of the previous meeting’s discussion on individual comparators. Reviewed were financial aid (we rank very high in student loans), faculty salaries, fringe benefits (we fall in the middle), number of full- and part-time employees, comparator revenues, and revenue per FTE. Zhizhang asked about salaries for staff and was told that information is not included in Nick’s comparator statistics.

The November 8th CBC meeting is cancelled. The next meeting is Tuesday, November 22 at 8am in HUB 119. The agenda will include further discussion on expenses and financial aid comparators and strategies.

November 22, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

22 November 2005

Present: Crangle, Sparks, Boggess, Landry, Fahey, Shen, Thurston, Levy, Mathis, Hage, Moore, Petz.

The October 25th minutes were approved as written.

FBRC Report: By Richard. Bill attended to talk about the possibility of carry-over budgets for academic departments. Bill will write something up for the FBRC.

Bill reviewed reviewed budget reports from the end of October. He will try to send these reports out monthly ahead of the CBC meeting time. The report shows more expenses and less revenue, to put us behind last year by $1.7 million. One saving grace is financial aid. This year we are 8% below last year’s expense for FA –about $600k. We have 80 fewer out-of-state students (who get the largest portion of the FA budget). The out-of-state student EFC (Effective Family Contribution) index has dropped indicating less eligibility for FA due to higher incomes. June Schlabach will soon attend a CBC meeting for a review of FA. Trent pointed out that our $20K cost of attendance can be perceived as approximately 25% of the average family income for an out-of-state student (around $80k); an important psychological factor. Richard asked if we study the distribution of majors for in-state and out-of-state students. Dick replied not really, but we are beginning to do it through targeted recruiting. Dick will get an R-30 report from last year to take a look.

The cogen plant will go back on line by December 8 due to increased winter demand and to heat Langdon Woods. We were down 3% in electrical consumption last month. The bottom time for energy is about $600k in the hole at this time, heading for $700k. As an aside, our Rist-Frost Shumway engineers recently won a contract with the state for a new Capital building heating plant that will use Biomass (pellets or wood chips cooked to create gas to turn a turbine and to create steam).

Enrollment and registration: Good pre- registration numbers for spring 06, we are ahead of last year. The longer we can keep the first-year students the more likely they are to stay through graduation.

Winterim enrollment for 2006 shows 90 more students – a significant increase, showing that interest in that option is growing. Summer also shows an increase that illustrates that the Continuing Ed program is growing fast.

We are speeding up the cycle of admissions publications by one year, (to 3 years from 4). We are also hiring a firm to help with the PSU website. This is an important marketing tool –we need a more concise, contained internet for outside people, plus a classy virtual tour (a moving view book). The virtual tour will offer the ability to choose a number of emphases: graduate, under-grad, location, academic programs, etc. Richard suggested we pay attention to environmental issues in our recruiting, and what we are doing here about it.

Bill walked through the 2007 budget. This could be the last year of using enrollment revenue to take care of shortfalls. The spreadsheet shows a FY07 Base Model of negative $367,916. He will work through the spring to bring that to balance and eventually present this committee with a list of things to approve.

The next meeting is Tuesday, December 13 at 8am in HUB 119.

December 13, 2005

April 12th, 2011 by JJ

13 December 2005

Present: Sparks, Crangle, Staples, Fahey, Landry, Boggess, Cocchiarella, Mathis, Hage, Thurston, Moore.

Financial Aid Director June Schlabach visited to discuss the Financial Aid budget. She walked the group through a relatively detailed introduction and handouts of how the financial aid system works. The average PSU stay is 4.7 years, so one issue currently being discussed is should we provide university grants to students who attend past the normal four years? Doing so costs us a lot of money. Other aspects of discussion highlighted the fact that on-campus jobs, whether they be work-study or student hourly, contribute to the student’s involvement on campus and thus to retention. Abundant research shows that the most important thing for new students to do when they first arrive on campus is to make a connection with an adult; that contact can be in any form; sports, organizations, clubs, etc.,, but a campus job is one of the primary ways in which a student can connect to campus life. This review of FA used most of the meeting time.

Bill briefly shared:

• NHCUC comparison of fees, room & board at different institutions
• Budget report on utilities
• Admission by department report (to be first on the agenda for January 10 meeting)

The next CBC meeting is Tuesday, January 10 at 8am in the HUB Student Senate Room (119)

Featured in Plymouth Magazine

Example Image

Faculty Forum: Irene Cucina

Professor Irene Cucina has been teaching in the Department of Health and Human Performance since 1998. Prior to coming to Plymouth State, she had a rewarding career as a high school health and physical education teacher and coach in Newton, MA. Her commitment to students and learning has been recognized by her peers through a [...]

Example Image

Teaming Up for Service

There’s more to PSU’s student-athletes than excellent grades and athletic prowess. There’s a desire to make a difference in the world. Plymouth State men’s hockey coach Craig Russell ’09 encourages his team to serve as often as possible. Through the nonprofit organization Team IMPACT, which pairs children with life-threatening or chronic illness with local college [...]

Example Image

Nora Galvin ’14, Stellar Student-Athlete

As an NCAA Division III school, Plymouth State is home to the true student-athlete: the student who exhibits the same drive, dedication, and commitment to excellence both in and out of the classroom; who studies hard for a rewarding future; and plays for the love of the game. PSU social work major Nora Galvin ’14, [...]