The Center for the Environment’s Environmental Research Laboratory at Plymouth State University provides freshwater analysis services to state, federal, and local environmental monitoring programs and to university research programs. We follow US Environmental Protection Agency and NH Department of Environmental Services approved analytical protocols on all analyses allowing data from the Environmental Research Laboratory to be included in appropriate state databases.
VLAP and VRAP Volunteers
Through a partnership with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES), the Environmental Research Laboratory serves as a satellite NHDES laboratory facility, supporting the NHDES Volunteer Lake Assessment Program (VLAP) and Volunteer River Assessment Program (VRAP). We routinely receive samples from VLAP and VRAP volunteers, conduct analysis of these samples, and report the results to NHDES and the volunteers. We offer a convenient location for North Country and Lakes Region VLAP and VRAP groups to bring their samples for analysis. Please call us to coordinate your sampling needs!
Services and Equipment
At the Environmental Research Laboratory we provide a wide array of analyses. All analyses follow EPA and/or NHDES approved analytical protocols. Analyses include:
- Air-equilibrated pH
- Acid neutralizing capacity (ANC)
- Conductivity, turbidity, and apparent color
- Total phosphorus
- E. coli
- Cations and anions, including phosphate, fluoride, chloride, bromide, nitrate, nitrite, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfate, and ammonium
The Laboratory has a suite of high precision analytical instruments including:
- Dionex ICS-2000 Ion Chromatography system for simultaneous determination of anions and cations.
- Lachat Instruments QuikChem® QC8500 Flow Injection Analyzer with in-line digestion module for automated analysis of total phosphorus.
- Varian 240Z Graphite Furnace and SpectAA 55 Flame AA for metals analysis at both ppm and ppb scales.
We also have field equipment and sample collection bottles available for use by VLAP and VRAP volunteers.
Our laboratory staff can provide technical assistance and water quality sampling equipment to volunteer monitoring programs. Please call (603)535-3269 for more information.
Our facility in Room 205, Boyd Science Center at 23 Highland Street, Plymouth is centrally located near I-93, ideal to serve volunteer lake and river monitoring programs in the North Country and Lakes Region.
Please call (603) 535-3269 for the lab hours.
We offer our laboratory services at competitive prices. Please call details and ask for VLAP and VRAP package prices.
For more information, please contact us:
- Phone: (603) 535-3269
- Fax: (603) 535-3004
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org