Dean, College of Business Administration; Professor of Organizational Communication and Organizational Behavior
BA, SUNY-Oswego; EdM, Boston University; PhD, Wayne State University
About Professor Parker
Professor Parker joined the Plymouth State University faculty in January 2010. She has been teaching in higher education since 1990. Parker earned her doctorate in Organizational Communication from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI and her master’s degree in Human Resource Development from Boston University. Her expertise is in conducting needs assessments, communication audits and designing interventions to improve organizational performance.
Parker’s research focuses on the relational effects of new communication technologies in virtual work and educational settings. A seasoned trainer and instructional designer, she is committed to making e-learning more effective in both university and corporate contexts. She has received grant funding in support of her work from both FIPSE and the Ohio Learning Network. Her research on this subject has most recently been published in The Research Journal of Center for Educational Technology and in the journal, Education, Technology, & Society.
Her current projects include writing a book about redesigning courses for online delivery due out in November 2013 and a peer review system designed to facilitate better teamwork on student teams, titled Rate Your Mate™.
- Parker, R. E. & Child, J. (2012, November). The role of message sources on employee-reported awareness and interest in health promotion programs at work. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association. Orlando, Florida.
- Parker, R. E. & Coykendell, S. (2012, June). Rate Your Mate: A peer review process that facilitates and assesses collaboration in student groups. Program presented at the Lilly Conference on College & University Teaching & Learning. Bethesda, Maryland.
- Parker, R. E. & Ingram, A. (2011). Considerations in choosing online collaboration systems: functions,uses, & effects. Research Journal of the Center for Educational Technology, 7(1), 2-15.
- Parker, R. E. & Haridakis, P. (2008). Development of an Organizational Identification Scale: Integrating Cognitive and Communicative Conceptualizations. Journal of Communication Studies, 1(3-4), 105-126.
- Parker, R. E. & Bianchi, A. (2008). Exploring student and faculty perceptions of technology in education. Education, Technology & Society, 11(2), 274- 293.
Awards or recognition
- Three time recipient of the Graduate Applause Award, from the University Teaching Council at Kent State University in October 2003, October 2005, and November 2007.
- Recipient of Top Paper Panel Award for research at the National Communication Association (Human Technology Division and Applied Research Division) in November 2007. Top Paper Panel Award for research at the Central States Communication Association (Organizaitonal Communication Division) in March 2007.
BU-2290: Organizational Communications
BU-3420: Organizational Behavior
BU-5110: Managing Organizational Behavior
BU-5240: Seminar in Organizational Communication