What will you find in our Department?
- Dedicated Faculty. We have a strong group of faculty, many of whom are nationally and internationally recognized for their work, and most of whom have extensive professional experience with children in and out of the classroom. The best thing about our faculty, though, is that their #1 priority is helping you learn. You will find your professors approachable, enthusiastic and caring.
- A Close-knit Student Body. Our students quickly come to know each other well because of small class sizes and a carefully planned curriculum. You will find yourself enjoying time with fellow majors both in and out of the classroom because of your shared interests, activities, and enthusiasm.
- Practical, Real-world Experience. As early as your first year at PSU you will have the opportunity to get out in the field and work with children both in and out of school settings. These experiences give you a chance to practice what you are learning, gain new skills and knowledge, and discover exactly what it is you want to do with your degree.
- A Strong Tradition of Excellence. PSU is a top name in the region for developing dedicated professionals who have the skills, vision, commitment, and compassion to work with children and families in schools and communities. Come join our tradition and see how we can help you grow into a passionate and effective professional.
- Two Majors and Time to Decide!We offer two majors, which you can learn more about by clicking the links below.
- Elementary Education is for you if you want to be a classroom teacher, certified for grades K-8.
- Childhood Studies is for you if you know you love working with children but you would prefer to work outside of a traditional classroom.
- Not Sure Yet? That’s OK, Too! We designed our programs so that you can change your mind. The coursework is the same for both majors for the first five semesters. During your last three semesters you will specialize and focus on the skills you need most either to become a teacher or to pursue other careers working with children. Until then, you will be in classes with students from both majors.
- Lots of other opportunities
Questions? Visit our department FAQ.