Assistant Professor, of Education
BA, Skidmore College; MS, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale; PhD, Pennsylvania State University
- Rounds Hall 035
About Professor Berry
Dr. Berry has a strong interest in effective instruction for students with high incidence disabilities. The courses she teaches in special education at Plymouth State University focus on evidence-based practices. Additionally, she is interested in furthering her work in special education teacher retention. Her research, initially supported by the National Center for Rural Education Support, has identified several components related to the satisfaction and commitment of special education teachers in rural areas.
- Berry, A. (2012). The relationship of perceived support to satisfaction and commitment for special education teachers in rural areas. Rural Special Education Quarterly.
- Berry, A., & Mason, L. (2012). The effects of self-regulated strategy development on the writing of expository essays for adults with written expression difficulties: Preparing for the GED. Remedial and Special Education.
- Berry, A (2012). Factors related to the retention of special educators in rural areas: What administrators need to know. New Hampshire Journal of Education.
- Berry, A., Petrin, R., Graville, M., Farmer, T., (2011). Issues in special education teacher recruitment, retention, and professional development: Considerations in supporting rural teachers. Rural Special Education Quarterly.
Awards or Recognition
- Exemplary Education Research Award, The American Council for Rural Special Education, 2011
- Research Proposal Award, The American Council for Rural Special Education, 2010
- Excellence Award, National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development, 2000
- Children With Disabilities (Undergraduate)
- Language and Learning Disabilities (MEd program + certification in Special Education)
- Curriculm Design in Special Education (MEd program + certification in Special Education)
- Working with Families and Children: Legal and Ethical Issues (MEd program + certification in Special Education)
- Program Evaluation: Theory and Practice (EdD in Learning, Leadership and Community)