Assistant Professor of Education of Childhood Studies: Literacy
BA, Dartmouth College; MA, George Washington University, PhD, Ohio State University
- (603) 535-2804
- Rounds 040
About Professor Stiles
A member of the faculty since 2011, Dr. Stiles brings expertise in language arts, children’s literature, teaching methodologies, and cross-cultural studies to PSU. His research explores the dynamics of fostering active literacy through critical inquiry, children’s literature, and performance. An international educator for more than 20 years, he has organized and led programs for high school and college students in the U.S., Europe, Africa, and Asia. Dr. Stiles was elected to the United States Board on Books for Young People (2012-2013) and serves as President (2012-2014) of the Children’s Literature Assembly of the National Council of Teachers of English.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Buteau, G., and Stiles, J. A Place Called Home. Presentation at the National Council of Teachers of English Annual Convention, November 16, 2012.
- Stiles, J. Hans Christian Andersen: Reading the past, writing the future. Workshop presented for the Integrated Arts Conference, Plymouth State University, January 28, 2012.
- Stiles, J. What are you laughing at over there? A cross-cultural exploration of humor in international children’s books. Research presentation at the International Board on Books for Young People Regional Conference, October 22, 2011.
- Jorgensen, D., Stiles, J., and Viator, M. Transformational Teaching: Journey to Understanding by Design. Workshop presented at the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) Annual Convention, San Antonio, March 8, 2010.
- Stiles, J. (2010). Behind the scenes of Art & Max: An interview with David Wiesner. Journal of Children’s Literature, v 36, 2, 9-12.
- Stiles, J. (2010). The storycard project: Exploring culture in conflict and transition. In B. A. Lehman, E. B. Freeman, & P. L. Scharer, Reading globally K-8: Connecting students to the world through literature. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
Awards and Recognitions
- Nominated for Distinguished Educator, Plymouth State University 2011-2012.
- Research Fellow, International Youth Library, Munich Germany. Grant received from the German Ministry of Cultural Affairs to explore the cross-cultural dimensions of humor in international picture books. Fall, 2010.
- Nominated for the New Jersey State Governor’s Teacher Award, 2007.
- CD 1000: Introduction to Childhood Studies
- ED 4500: Childhood Studies Teaching Seminar
- RL 1200: Children’s Literature
- RL 3070: Language Arts and Reading in the Elementary School