Professor of Education; Director of the Counseling and Human Relations Center; Distinguished Graduate Teaching Award in the MEd Program, 2004; Sabbatical SP2016
BEd, MEd, University of Miami; EdD, University of Colorado
(603)-535-2461 OR (603)-535-2474
About Professor Fischler
Dr. Fischler performs multiple roles on campus as both an instructor in the departments of Educational Leadership, Learning and Curriculum and Elementary Education and Childhood Studies, and as director of the Counseling and Human Relations Center. His research interests include: cultural diversity; intercultural communication; social behavior; psychological counseling; multicultural education; and prejudice reduction. Recent activity designed to increase mindfulness, intercultural awareness, tolerance, and respect on the PSU campus include the development of two curricular models being considered for implementation: “Citizen of the World” and “A Better Campus, Life and World… PSU’s A-B-C’s.”
Awards or Recognition:
- Founder, Counseling and Human Relations Center, 2011.
- Co-founder of the S-O-S (Support our Students) Faculty Scholarship Fund, to financially assist PSU students in need
- Distinguished Graduate Teacher Award, 2004
- Founder and past President, “First Star Tonight” (supporting chronic and terminally ill area children), 1986-2005
Presentations and Publications:
- CULTURE, CONFLICT AND CHANGE… MOVING FROM CRISIS TO GROWTH, Invited Paper, Presented June 11, 2012 at the 12th International Conference On Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations, Vancouver, British Columbia
- PSU Counselor Education Honors Society, Chi Sigma Iota, Inaugural Induction Ceremony, Keynote Speaker, “Bigotry and Racism… Time to See, Tell and Do,” April 13, 2012.
- Fischler, M. (2012) A Letter Long Overdue. Annual Editions Multicultural Education. 16th Edition, 28-29.
- The Cultural Triangle, Invited Workshop, Presented November 3, 2011 at the 21st Annual National Association for Multicultural Education Conference, Chicago , IL
- Fischler, M. (1992). Time to Talk Back. Phi Delta Kappan. V73, 634-635.
- Diversity and American Society (general education course)
- Foundations of Diversity
- Social Behavior and Diversity
- Cultural Diversity and American Society
- Leadership in a Diverse World
- May I never look down on any human being unless I have the intention of helping them to stand up.