Students who are pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete a Foreign Language Requirement. This can be accomplished by either:
- Taking 2 semesters of the same language.
- Taking one semester of one 3-credit language course at the 3000-level or above.
In order to build on your high school language foundation, students are strongly encouraged to complete their foreign language requirement in their first or second year.
The language requirement is satisfied for students who are native speakers of a language other than English. These students will need to submit a Student Request form through the Office of Undergraduate Studies.
Language Placement Exam
- If you are unsure of which level to register for, students may take a language placement exam. Exams are available for Spanish and French.
- The exam takes only 20-30 minutes.
- Students who have no previous study or have completed one year of high school French may register for FR-1010.
- Students who have completed up to two years of high school French may register for FR-1020.
- Students who have recently completed up to their third year of language study in French should register for FR-2010.
- Students who have no previous study or have completed one year of Spanish may register for SP-1010.
- Students who have completed up to two years of high school Spanish may register for SP-1020.
- Students who have recently completed up to their third year of language study in Spanish should register for SP-2010.
If you are still unsure about what level class to register for, you may request a placement exam:
You can make an appointment with Lisa Herder to take this exam at any time during the school year (535-2304 or email@example.com).