- FACULTY NEWS – JANUARY 2013
Kathleen Arecchi, as NATS VP for Workshops, created and ran the Winter Workshop Power Performance: Mind, Body, Spirit in San Antonio, Jan. 4-6
Dan Perkins conducted both the southern and eastern region Connecticut Music Educators Association choral festivals in January. He also led the PSU Chamber Singers on a performance/study tour in Nashville, Tuscaloosa, Memphis, and Little Rock. The ensemble performed and presented workshops in schools and churches, including a performance on the steps of the Capitol in Little Rock as guests of the NAACP on MLK day.
Mark Stickney conducted the Uncanoonuc Mountains Invitation Music Festival Band at Goffstown High School and the Maine Music Educators District 3 High School Honors band in Topsham, Maine.
With special thanks to Julie Bernier and Eric Hobart, Robert Swift announces the publication (electronic) of More Teaching Moments: Selected Memories of PSU Faculty, for which Bob served as compiler and editor. Twenty-two of us have each provided a glimpse of what makes Plymouth State unique.
- VOCAL ORDER NEWS:
- In December, Dr. Perkins was contacted by the relative of a NH area music teacher who needed to quickly find a male a cappella group to do some recording for a commercial. Mike Dodge (voice performance/pedagogy ’14), Vocal Order’s music director, and Brad Fernald (communications ’14), VO’s business director, met with the creative team in Boston the following week. Mike arranged music for two separate spots and the members of Vocal Order spent Monday, January 14th in a wonderful recording studio in Boston.It was a terrific professional development opportunity for our students. The two spots will run on all Boston area radio stations!
- Holly Oliver, Music Education Coordinator, traveled to the NH Music Educators Fall Conference held at Southern NH University with 33 undergraduate music education majors! The day featured workshops, presentations, performances, and an opportunity for students to network with practicing public school music educators from all over the state. PSU faculty workshop presenters at this event included Kathleen Arecchi (“Healthy Belting Techniques”) and Carleen Graff (“Approaches to Teaching K-12 Keyboard Skills”).
- Robert Swift has had his article “Lessons Learned” published in selected New England music education journals.
- Elizabeth Daily will be appearing in TWICE AROUND THE PARK for Stage One Productions in Manchester, NH in November.
- Connie Chesebrough and senior music education major, Samuel Tolley, in collaboration with PSU professor emeritus John B. Allen, made an archival recording for the New England Ski Museum. The recording was a performance for tenor voice and harpsichord of a song recently donated to the Ski Museum titled “The Lapland Lover”.
- Kathleen Arecchi was an adjudicator for the Granite State NATS Musical Theatre Singing competition held at Concord Community Music School on Nov. 3. She also traveled to southern NH with Dan Perkins and the PSU Chamber Singers for outreach workshops at Nashua South High School and Conval High School on October 12.
- There was major PSU representation at the Boston Cecilia concert on October 27, which was conducted by PSU Director of Choral Activities Dan Perkins. Guest artists for the concert included the Tributary Dance Company (founded and choreographed by Director of Dance Amanda Whitworth), and PSU alumni Daniel Brevik and Jennifer Fijal. The Cecilia performed a work by faculty member Jonathan Santore at the concert, and alumna Jennifer Cooper and current student Brad Dumont sang with the choir for the concert. Dan is a finalist for the position of Music Director with the Cecilia, one of Boston’s oldest choral organizations.
- Jonathan Santore’s composition “Adjectives” was performed live by Brigham Young University clarinet teacher Jaren Hinckley and pianist Vince Humphreys on KBYU-FM in Provo, UT on October 2.
- MTD adjunct voice faculty member, Eric Perry, has been selected to present a paper at the International Congress of Voice Teachers in Brisbane Australia in July, 2013.
- Carleen Graff has recently written a review of piano duet music for the American Music Teacher. The books reviewed are “Piano Works – Duets 1 and 2” written by Janet and Alan Bullard for Oxford University Press. Carleen also has had published by Ogilvy Music in Denton, TX, two movements from Vivaldi’s Seasons for digital keyboard orchestra.