Music Education majors must take two credits of Performance Studies in their principal performance area each semester (except in the student teaching semester), with a minimum of two semester at each of the 1000, 2000 and 3000 level and one semester at the 4000 level. Bachelor of Arts majors may take one or two credits of Performance Studies in their principal area each semester with a minimum of two semesters at each of the 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 levels. Students majoring in Music may study additional performance areas for one credit with the approval of the Performance Studies teachers.
Music minors may take either one or two credits in their performance area. The number of credits will depend on availability of instruction time. See the Music Minors page for more details. Interdisciplinary majors determine the number of credits in their performance area with their advisors. Non-Music majors may take one credit of Performance Studies if instruction is available.
If a student cannot attend a lesson for any reason, the professor must be notified in advance. The professor will attempt to arrange a make-up lesson, if the scheduled lesson was missed due to illness, but is under no obligation to make up lessons missed because of an unexcused absence. Students may contact professors through the Music Office at 535-2334, and through individual extensions.
Performance Studies Registration
- Registration forms are available from the Music Office or from individual Performance Studies teachers.
- Forms must be completed by the student and signed by the Performance Studies teacher.
- A photocopy must be made in the Music Office.
- For pre-registration, students will present the form to the Registrar and the Performance Studies fee will be billed along with the tuition, etc.
- When adding Performance Studies during the Add/Drop period, students must pay at the time of registration.
- Students must have registered and paid for Performance Studies before faculty members will give the first lesson.
Performance Studies Examinations
Students will play Performance Studies juries each semester of enrollment. Level changes (to 200, 3000 or 4000) occur at the end of two semesters at each level. Examinations at the conclusion of each level, will be evaluated by the faculty who will then recommend:
- Performance Studies at the next higher level, or
- A continuation of Performance Studies at the same level until examination at that particular level has been passed, or
- A change of major or minor
Each individual faculty member sets jury requirements for their students. Students should acquire information concerning these requirements at the beginning of the semester.