The Concert Attendance Policy applies to the following students:
- B.A. Music majors (all Options)
- B.S Music Education majors
- B.A. Theatre Arts: Music Theatre Performance option majors
- Music Minors
- B.A./B.S. Interdisciplinary majors with Music included in the Interdisciplinary Contract
1. B.A. Music and B.S. Music Education
- Must attend MTD Fall Convocation and All Wednesday afternoon Recitals in each semester. (See schedule of departmental concerts and events.)
- Must attend the specified number of approved professional performances for each semester. (See Professional Performances explanation below.) The required number in the Fall and Spring semesters is 4.
2. B.A. Theatre Arts: Music Theatre Performance, B.A./B.S. Interdisciplinary majors, Music Minors
- Must attend MTD Fall Convocation and one-half of the Wednesday afternoon departmental recitals in each semester. (See schedule of departmental concerts and events.)
- Must attend one-half of the number of approved professional performances required of Music majors in each semester. The required number in the Fall and Spring semesters is 2.
1. At the beginning of each semester, the MTD Dept. publishes a list of performances that will be held in the Silver Center and which will satisfy the Professional Performance Requirement. Many of these performances will be free to PSU students, or to majors/minors in the MTD Dept. Other performances require that tickets be purchased, although there is always a discounted student rate to programs in the Silver Series.
2. Students may also meet this requirement by attending professional performances off-campus, but the student should verify with a member of the Music faculty that this off-campus program qualifies as being “professional.” One program, on or off-campus, may fall into the Pop/Rock/Contemporary Commercial category.
Verification of Attendance:
1. Attendance at departmental Wednesday recitals is verified by a member of the Music Faculty. It is each student’s responsibility to be sure that his/her name is checked off on the Attendance Sheet for that day.
2. The student has the responsibility to submit the ticket stub with his/her name written on the back to Melissa Furbish in the MTD Office within one week of the performance. Friday of the last week of each semester is the deadline for final ticket stub submission.
3. An Excel file is maintained in the office tracking the progress of each student in meeting the Attendance Requirements.
Consequence of not meeting the Attendance Requirements:
The final grade in Performance Studies will be lowered one full letter by the Performance Studies Teacher.
**The list of departmental events and the list of approved on-campus professional performances can be found posted and with copies in envelopes on the MTD Board just past Room 305.**