Associate Professor of Political Science and International Studies
BA, Marmara University (Turkey); MA, University of Central Oklahoma; PhD, University of Kentucky
Phone: 603 535 3068
Rounds 310, MSC 39
About Dr. Otucu
Filiz Otucu is an Associate professor of Political Science at PSU where she specializes in International Relations, the Middle Eastern Politics, and the United Nations. Dr. Otucu received her Ph.D. (2004) from the Department of Political Science at the University of Kentucky, her M.A. (1995) from University of Central Oklahoma and her B.A.in International Relations from Marmara University in Istanbul, Turkey. Dr. Otucu teaches courses on politics and conflict in the Middle East, Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism, Political Islamic Fundamentalism as well as a course called “Model United Nations.” She has conducted field research in Black Sea and South-Eastern regions of Turkey, looking at the causes of severe-ethnic violence between the Turks and the Kurds and lack of it between the Turks and the Lazes. She has led student delegations to different parts of the world, including Puebla (Mexico), the Hague (the Netherland), Taipei (Taiwan), Quito (Ecuador), London (U.K.) and Singapore. Dr. Otucu advises PSU Model UN student organization, and with her students, every Spring, hosts a High School Model UN Conference at PSU Campus.
- Otucu, Filiz and Kar Yen Leong “The Jasmine in Spring: A Comparative Analysis of Democratic Change in the Middle East and China.” presented at the New England Political Science Association 2012 Annual Meeting, 26-28 April 2012, Portsmouth, NH.
- Otucu, Filiz. “A Bird’s Eye View of the Ottoman Empire and its Precursors” presented at World Affairs Council of Maine’s workshop on Turkish society, politics and culture. 27 March 2012, Portland, Maine.
- Otucu, Filiz “Arab Transformation: Causes and Consequences” presented at UTAR PJ Campus, hosted by the Centre for International Studies, Centre for Social Change and Trends and Centre for Media and Creative Communication, 2 December, 2011. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Otucu, Filiz. “Model UN for Future Leaders: An exciting Way to Get Students Involve in World Affairs” presented at UTAR, 24 November 2011, Kampar, Malaysia.
- Otucu, Filiz and Shirley, Sheryl “Walls Securing Nations or Violating Human Rights? presented at Nationalism and Human Rights Conference, June 27-29 2008, Istanbul Turkey
- World Politics
- Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism
- Politics and Conflict in the Middle East
- Model United Nations