Goals and Objectives
- Knowledge – To gain an understanding of:
- The biopsychosocial character of human behavior, including human biology, human growth and development, and the impact of the social environment
- The interactions between and among human biological, psychological, cultural, spiritual and social systems
- Cultural diversity and the differential impact of social and economic systems on different groups including women, racial and ethnic groups, lesbians and gay men, and others
- To demonstrate positive regard for individual worth and dignity, human diversity, client self-determination, equitable access to needed resources, and humane and responsive institutional practices and service delivery
- To analyze personal values in relation to the values of the profession and its biopsychosocial approach to human behavior
- Skills – To develop an ability to:
- Apply critical thinking skills in understanding human behavior
- Assess theories of human behavior in relation to the profession’s values
- Assess the dynamic interactions among biological, psychological, cultural, spiritual and social systems and their impact on individual human behavior and well-being
- Assess the role of social systems in promoting or deterring the maintenance or attainment of resources needed for optimal health and well-being
- Assess the consequences of discrimination and oppression for individuals, families and communities
- Assess the role of discrimination and oppression in the socioeconomic status and social problems of diverse groups
SW 3340 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
SW 3350 Human Behavior and the Social Environment II
SW 3460 Human Diversity and the Social Environment
- Read the goals and objectives for the human behavior/diversity courses in the curriculum.
- Review the assignments you completed for this course, including in-class assignments.
- Choose ONE assignment to add to your portfolio. Choose an assignment that you feel was most instrumental in your mastery of the objectives.
- Then, answer each of the following questions separately in a one-page typed double-spaced response. Be sure to link your comments to the goals and objectives for this component of the social work curriculum.
Attach the original OR a copy of the assignment to the paper. (Your portfolio statements will not be returned to you until you are enrolled in SW 4550 Social Work Seminar.)
- How did this assignment help you to understand the bio-psycho-social-cultural-spiritual dimensions of human behavior?
- How did this assignment help you to value diversity and gain an appreciation for diverse social needs?
- How did this assignment help you to understand the impact of cultural, spiritual, social and political systems on human development and human behavior?
- Did you do your best with this assignment? If not, tell us why. If you did not do your best, how could you have improved your performance?
- What areas of human behavior and the social environment do you think you should focus on for future learning and skill development?