Goals and Objectives
- To enable students to understand social work as a field of practice
- To introduce students to generalist practice and the range of social work interventions used
- To broaden students’ awareness and understanding of the variety of roles assumed by social workers in social welfare institutions
- To enable students to understand the functions and methods of social service agencies and the populations they serve
- To provide students with a framework for conceptualizing social work and social welfare within the context of varying political belief systems
- To introduce students to the history and origins of oppression of different populations and social work’s response
- To introduce students to the core values of professional social work
- To introduce students to the NASW Code of Ethics.
- To increase students’ responsibility in their expression of opinions, feelings and ideas in relation to social work issues
- To appreciate diversity among and within different groups for which social workers may advocate and intervene
- To introduce students to the professional literature
- To introduce students to the skills needed for generalist social work practice
- To develop students’ listening and communication abilities through expression of ideas and feelings, and through active participation in class activities
- Read the goals and objectives for this introductory course in the curriculum.
- Review the assignments you completed for this course, including in-class assignments.
- Choose ONE assignment to add to your portfolio. Choose an assignment that you feel was most instrumental in your mastery of the course objectives.
- Then, provide a brief answer for each of the following questions in a one-page typed double-spaced response. Be sure to link your comments to the goals and objectives for this component of the social work curriculum.
Attach the original OR a copy of the assignment to the paper. (Your portfolio statements will not be returned to you until you are enrolled in SW 4550 Social Work Seminar.)
- How did this assignment help you to understand social work as a field of practice?
- How did this assignment help you to understand the values of the profession?
- How did this assignment help you to learn about or develop social work skills, if any?
- Did you do your best with this assignment? If not, tell us why. If you did not do your best, how could you have improved your performance?
- What areas do you think you should focus on for future learning and skill development?