Goals and Objectives
- Knowledge—To gain an understanding of:
- The history and current context of social welfare policies and services in the U.S.
- Poverty in the U.S. and government assistance to the poor
- The role of social action and social movements in the development of social welfare policies and services
- The influence of racism and sexism on social welfare policies and services
- The process of implementing and evaluating social welfare policies
- Major social welfare programs and services
- The role of values in policy development and analysis
- To demonstrate positive regard for individual worth and dignity, human diversity, client self-determination, equitable access to needed resources, and humane and responsive institutional practices and service delivery
- To analyze personal values in relation to the values of the profession and social welfare policies supported by the profession
- To develop skills in analysis of social welfare policies and services
- To develop and apply critical thinking skills in policy analysis
- To apply skills of change that advance social and economic justice in policy analysis
- To analyze the impact of social policies on clients, practitioners and agencies
- To use policy analysis to seek organizational change
SW 2050 Introduction to Social Welfare Policy
SW 3450 Social Welfare Policy and Services
- Read the goals and objectives for the policy course in the curriculum.
- Review the assignments you completed for this course, including in-class assignments.
- Choose ONE assignment to add to your portfolio. Choose an assignment that you feel was most instrumental in your mastery of the course objectives.
- Then, answer each of the following questions separately in a one-page typed double-spaced response. Be sure to link your comments to the goals and objectives for this component of the social work curriculum.
Attach the original OR a copy of the assignment to the paper. (Your portfolio statements will not be returned to you until you are enrolled in SW 4550 Social Work Seminar.)
- How did this assignment help you to understand the role of social welfare policies in the provision of social services?
- How did this assignment help you to understand the role of values in the development, implementation and/or analysis of social policies ?
- How did this assignment help you to analyze the impact of social policies on clients, practitioners and/or agencies?
- Did you do your best with this assignment? If not, tell us why. If you did not do your best, how could you have improved your performance?
- What areas of social welfare policy do you think you should focus on for future learning and skill development?