Goals and Objectives
- To understand and appreciate social research as the basis for social work practice
- To understand the scientific, objective basis of qualitative and quantitative social research including deductive and inductive reasoning, causality, validity and reliability
- To develop an understanding of research design including hypotheses, testing, sampling and control groups
- To develop an understanding of qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- To understand research ethics and potential biases that influence research
- To understand the role of research in evaluation of practice, including single-subject designs
- To demonstrate positive regard for individual worth and dignity, human diversity and client self-determination in the design of studies and the dissemination of findings
- To analyze personal values and beliefs in relation to research ethics and social work values
- To be able to conceptualize a research project that would inform some aspect of social work practice
- To be able to construct a basic research design that includes a literature review, theoretical statement and hypothesis
- To be able to conduct basic data manipulation using SPSS
- To be able to conduct a basic critical assessment of published research
SW 4000 Social Work Research
- Read the goals and objectives for the social work research course.
- Review the assignments you completed for this course, including in-class assignments.
- Choose ONE assignment to add to your portfolio. Choose an assignment that you feel was most instrumental in your mastery of the sequence objectives.
- Then, answer each of the following questions separately in a one to two page typed double-spaced response. Be sure to link your comments to the goals and objectives for this component of the social work curriculum.
Attach the original OR a copy of the assignment to the paper. (Your portfolio statements will not be returned to you until you are enrolled in SW 4550 Social Work Seminar.)
- How did this assignment help you to understand social research design and methodologies?
- How did this assignment help you to understand the relationship between social research and social work practice?
- How did this assignment help you to understand the importance of research ethics and social work values in the research process?
- Did you do your best with this assignment? If not, tell us why. If you did not do your best, how could you have improved your performance?
- What areas of research methodology do you think you should focus on for future learning and skill development?