Goals and Objectives
- To understand social work practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities from a generalist perspective
- To understand how to develop professional working relationships with clients and colleagues based on mutuality, collaboration and respect
- To understand the role of the strengths perspective in social work practice
- To understand the importance of cultural sensitivity in problem-solving and intervention with racial and ethnic groups, women, lesbians and gay men
- To understand the profession’s Code of Ethics (National Association of Social Workers)
- To demonstrate positive regard for individual worth and dignity, human diversity, client self-determination, equitable access to needed resources and humane and responsive institutional practices and service delivery.
- To analyze personal values in relation to the profession’s Code of Ethics
- Skills – To demonstrate the following entry-level generalist practice skills:
- Problem/issue identification
- Client/problem data collection and assessment
- Goal development, intervention/treatment plans and contracts
- Professional and ethical use of self
- Application of research to guide and evaluate interventions
SW 3510 Theory and Practice of Social Work Intervention I
SW 3520 Theory and Practice of Social Work Intervention II
SW 3530 Theory and Practice of Social Work Intervention III
- Read the goals and objectives for the theory and practice of social work intervention sequence.
- Review the assignments you completed for this course, including in-class assignments.
- Choose ONE assignment to add to your portfolio. Choose an assignment that you feel was most instrumental in your mastery of the sequence objectives.
- Then, answer each of the following questions separately in a one-page typed double-spaced response. Be sure to link your comments to the goals and objectives for this component of the social work curriculum.
Attach the original OR a copy of the assignment to the paper. (Your portfolio statements will not be returned to you until you are enrolled in SW 4550 Social Work Seminar.)
- How did this assignment help you to understand the principles of generalist practice and the strengths perspective?
- How did this assignment help you to develop generalist problem solving skills, including assessment, goal development and planning, intervention, termination and/or evaluation?
- How did this assignment help you to understand the values of the social work profession and develop professional ethics for social work practice?
- Did you do your best with this assignment? If not, tell us why. If you did not do your best, how could you have improved your performance?
- What areas of generalist practice do you think you should focus on for future learning and skill development?