Students accepted by the University must also meet the requirements of the Department for admission. To apply, students must
- be enrolled in or have completed SW 2200;
- complete an application by submitting a written statement (see Appendix A);
- participate in a personal interview with a member of the Social Work faculty.
The criteria and procedures used for admission are based on the academic and professional standards established by the Council on Social Work Education, the national accrediting body. The criteria used for assessment are:
- intellectual qualities and academic skills;
- commitment to the enhancement of quality of life for individuals and families;
- concern for issues of social justice and sensitivity to cultural diversity;
- capacity for self-awareness and self-evaluation.
The Social Work Department encourages applications from students from diverse backgrounds including race, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin and political orientation. Students are advised to apply by their sophomore year. Applicants will receive notice regarding the decision within 14 calendar days of the interview.
A copy of the application (PDF) and instructions for completion of the Personal Statement are available online.