Call 911 if you need assistance with a sick or injured person.
When an injury or illness occurs evaluate the situation:
- In case of minor injury or illness, assist the victim if possible using proper precautions and/or refer them to Speare Memorial Hospital, their family physician, Health Services for students, or emergency room.
- In case of serious injury or illness, immediately dial 911. Give your name, describe the nature and severity of the problem and the exact location of the victim.
- In the case of any injury on campus, remember to fill out the appropriate accident report forms as quickly as possible. Faculty/Staff, Residential Life staff or your supervisors will have the appropriate forms.
- Falls are the most common accidents both at home and on the job. Simple housekeeping is the best prevention. Keep walking surfaces in your home, office and classroom clear and free from obstructions and trip hazards.
- Clean up all spills as soon as possible to prevent others from slipping and falling. Contact the Physical plant at ext. 52254 if you need assistance from Building Services to address any large spills on campus.
- Wear helmets when riding bicycles, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, horses and when skiing. Along with helmets, wear protective padding on elbows and knees when roller blading or skateboarding.
- Always wear a seat belt when you are in a vehicle.
- Contact the Office of Environmental Health & Safety (ext. 52409) if you have concerns about a safety hazard on campus.
Some common sense measures can go a long way in preventing colds and flu:
- Wash hands often, especially when handling food and after coughing, sneezing, or using the bathroom.
- Stay home when you are sick. You get better quicker and you avoid spreading your illness to others.
- Avoid close contact with others who are ill by staying about three feet away from them.
- Get a flu shot if possible.
Plymouth State University has several resources available to students, faculty and staff to help you get and stay as healthy as possible.