- Any release of a hazardous chemical or material that cannot be contained by available spill containment materials should be reported immediately to the Plymouth or Holderness Fire Department by dialing 911.
- When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and exact location.
- Once emergency services are notified, or in the event of a controllable spill, the Physical Plant and EHS Office should be notified by calling ext. 52254 on a campus line or (603) 535-2254 on a cell phone.
- The key person on site should vacate the affected area at once, closing doors on the way out to prevent further contamination of other areas until the arrival of fire department personnel.
- Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill should avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity and give their names to the fire department. First aid and any necessary decontamination by specialized authorities would be started at once if necessary.
Small, Containable Spills
Contain the spill if:
- The spill is small and you have been trained in the proper spill clean-up procedures
- You have immediate access to the proper spill containment materials
- You have the proper PPE available.
Notify the EHS office at ext. 52409 or ext. 52254 for pick-up of any contaminated containment materials.
Some chemical spills or uncontrolled releases of fuels, oil, or other materials require follow up reporting with government agencies, even when there is no injury or damage associated with them. At PSU, these reports are the responsibility of the EHS office. Therefore, it is extremely important that you contact them at the numbers noted above.
- Store all chemicals properly.
- Anchor all shelves and storage cabinets. Don’t overload them.
- Keep incompatible chemicals away from each other. Consult the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for information on a chemical’s incompatibility and proper storage practices.
- Limit purchases to only those chemicals needed in the smallest amount possible. The less on hand, the less can spill.
- Keep all containers, including waste containers, tightly sealed when not in use.
- Keep all compressed gas cylinders secured. Segregate flammable gasses from other gasses when not actively being used.
- Maintain strict housekeeping standards in any areas where chemicals are used or stored.