Graduate Admissions Tests

Depending on the degree program to which you are applying, you may need to register for and complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Praxis Core and II. Additionally, international students who come from countries where English is not the primary language must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or ELS Level 112.

Program Required Tests
Master of Arts
- Historic Preservation GRE
- Personal and Organizational Wellness None
Master of Arts in Teaching None
Master of Education None
Master of Science
- Accounting None
- Applied Meteorology GRE
- Athletic Training None
- Biology GRE
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling None
- Couples and Family Therapy None
- Criminal Justice Administration None
- Environmental Science and Policy GRE
- Science Education None
Master of Business Administration None
Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies None
Doctor of Education None

Graduate Record Exam (GRE)

The GRE® General Test measures critical thinking, analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning skills that have been acquired over a long period of time and that are not related to any specific field of study. The GRE® Subject Tests gauge undergraduate achievement in eight specific fields of study.

Candidates applying to the MS (Biology, Applied Meteorology, Environmental Science and Policy) and MA in Historic Preservation programs are required to take the GRE. Admission test scores are not required for MA in Personal and Organizational Wellness, MAT, MBA, MEd, MS (Athletic Training, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Science Education) applicants.

Please visit the Educational Testing Service Web site for information regarding test locations, times, and official test registration.

Praxis Core and Praxis II

For candidates who do not possess a master’s degree, and would like to pursue Educator Certification only, acceptance into the educator certification program requires the submission of passing scores on the Praxis Core basic skills test in reading, writing, and mathematics. The NH Department of Education determines passing scores. Additional testing for content area teachers (Praxis II) is required for New Hampshire certification as well. Passing scores on Praxis exams are required before a teacher can become certified in the state of New Hampshire.

To register for an exam, please do so on the Educational Testing Service Web site. All information relative to cost, registration dates, test day, and other administrative issues can be found at that Web site.

If you would like to speak with someone at Plymouth State about the Praxis exams contact the Office of Educator Preparation at (603) 535-2224.

Get started now!

Current Students

Register for classes, check grades, apply for financial aid, find campus events, and more!
Visit myPlymouth

Make a gift to Plymouth State University