Residency Status

For the purpose of assessing tuition and fees, each student shall be classified as a New Hampshire resident or a Non-New Hampshire resident. A person shall be classified as a New Hampshire resident if he or she has resided in the state of New Hampshire for purposes other than attending an educational institution for 12 months immediately preceding the student’s entry or re-entry. Physical presence for this entire 12-month period need not be required as long as the conduct of the individual, taken in total, manifests an intention to make New Hampshire the permanent dwelling place. Reside, residency, or resident shall refer to domicile, i.e., a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home, or place of habitation, where she or he intends to remain permanently.

The burden of proof rests on the student seeking classification as a New Hampshire resident. Any student who previously attended Plymouth State University, paid out-of-state tuition, and now claims New Hampshire residency should contact the Office of the Registrar at (603) 535-2345 or to apply for resident status prior to registering for any coursework.

Misrepresentation in, or omission of, any evidence submitted with respect to any fact which if correctly or completely stated would be grounds to deny classification as a New Hampshire resident, shall be cause for exclusion or expulsion from, or other disciplinary action by, Plymouth State University.

Residency decisions made by the Office of the Registrar are based on information furnished on the student’s application and other supporting data. PSU reserves the right to make the final decision concerning residency status for tuition purposes.

In-State Residency

To qualify for in-state status, students must have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least 12 months prior to registering for the term for which in-state status is claimed. Please note: All New Hampshire residents must complete and have notarized the New Hampshire Residency Confirmation form.

Out-of-State Residency

Students admitted from states other than New Hampshire or from foreign countries are considered non-resident throughout their attendance at Plymouth State, unless they have acquired a bona fide domicile in New Hampshire. The burden of proof in all cases concerning residency is on the applicant.

Establishing or Changing Residency

Graduate student residency status is determined at the time of admission to Plymouth State and may be changed only by applying for reclassification. Residency change information is available on the Registrar’s Office website or from the Registrar’s office. If the student is successful in his or her application for reclassification, the change will be effective at the beginning of the next term. Reclassifications do not occur mid-term.

Get started now!

Experience a great career at Plymouth State University

Current Students

Register for classes, check grades, apply for financial aid, find campus events, and more!
Visit myPlymouth

Make a gift to Plymouth State University