Professor of Health Education
Phone: (603) 535-3113
Dr. Cheryl Coker is a Professor with the Department of Health and Human Performance at Plymouth State University. Dr. Coker is a motor learning specialist who draws from her experiences as an athlete and coach to assist practitioners in putting theory into practice. She is a Fellow in the Research Consortium of AAHPERD, has given over 80 presentations throughout the US and internationally and has authored numerous journal articles, book chapters and the textbook Motor Learning and Control for Practitioners which has been well received for its applications based approach. Dr. Coker is the former Chair of the Motor Development and Learning Academy of NASPE, former President of the Southwest District of AAHPERD and has served in numerous leadership capacities at the state, district and national level.
Degrees and Education
- PhD, University of Virginia
- MEd, University of Virginia
- BS, Louisiana State University
- Skill Acquisition
- Coker, C.A. (In Press). Motor Learning and Control for Practitioners. 3rd Edition, Scottsdale, AZ: Holcomb Hathaway, Publishers
- Overdorf, V.G. and Coker, C.A. (In press). The efficacy of movement analysis and intervention skills. The Physical Educator
- Coker, C.A. Motor behavior: Development, learning and control. (2011). In T.G.
- Reeve and L. Dornier (Eds.), Introduction to Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Recreation. Beijing, China: Higher Education Press.
- Coker, C.A., & Fischman, M.G. (2010). Motor skill learning for effective coaching and performance. In J.M. Williams (Ed.), Applied Sport Psychology
- Personal Growth to Peak Performance. 6th Edition. (pp. 21-41) Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
- Lounsbery, M.F. & Coker, C.A. (2008). Developing skill analysis competency in pre-service physical education teachers. Quest.60, 255-267
- Coker, C.A. & Johnson, L.V. Mission Possible: Achieving NASPE Standard 2 in Secondary Physical Education. AAHPERD, Boston, MA, March 2012.
- Coker, C.A. & Overdorf, V. Improving Movement Analysis and Intervention Skills in Professionals. International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP), Limerick, Ireland, June 2011.
- Coker, C.A. & Overdorf, V. Developing Skill Analysis Competency. AAHPERD, San Diego, CA, March 2011.
- Coker, C.A. Practice Schedules and Putting Distance Accuracy. AAHPERD, Indianapolis, IN March 2010.
- Coker, C.A. Long Term Female Athlete Development: From Playground to Podium. EDAAHPERD. Margaret Paulding Lecture, Rye, NY, February 2010.
Awards and Distinctions
- Southwest District Presidential Citation, 2010
- Margaret Paulding Lecturer, EDAHPERD, 2010
- NMAHPERD Professional Honor Award, 2007
- Southwest District AAHPERD Scholar, 2006
- Southwest District AAHPERD Honor Award, 2003
- Fellow, Research Consortium, AAHPERD, 2002
Associations, Boards, and Committees
- Motor Development and Learning Academy, Past Chair
- Margaret Paulding Lecturer Selection Committee, Eastern District of AAHPERD, Chair