Professor of Motor Behavior
Phone: (603) 535-3113
Dr. Cheryl Coker is a Professor with the Department of Health and Human Performance at Plymouth State University. Dr. Coker is a motor learning specialist who draws from her experiences as an athlete and coach to assist practitioners in putting theory into practice. She has given over 80 presentations throughout the US and internationally and has authored numerous journal articles, book chapters and the textbook Motor Learning and Control for Practitioners which has been well received for its applications based approach. Dr. Coker has served in numerous leadership capacities at the state, district and national level and is a Fellow of both the Research Consortium in the Society of Health and Physical Educators and of the North American Society of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance Professionals.
Degrees and Education
- PhD, University of Virginia
- MEd, University of Virginia
- BS, Louisiana State University
- Skill Acquisition
- Coker, C.A., (2015). Motor skill learning for effective coaching and performance. In J.M. Williams and V. Krane (Eds.), Applied Sport Psychology; Personal Growth to Peak Performance. 7th Edition. (pp.19-39) Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company.
- Coker, C.A. (2014). How far is too far? Perceived attainability and the distance effect of an external focus of attention. Journal of Exercise and Sport Psychology, (Suppl.): S26.
- Coker, C.A. (2014). Motor Learning and Control for Practitioners. 3rd Edition, Scottsdale, AZ: Holcomb Hathaway Publishers.
- Coker, C. A. (2014). Intervention strategies for performance enhancement. Physical and Health Education Journal, 79(4), 14-17.
- Coker, C.A. & Johnson, L.V. (2013). Perceived vs. actual competence in fundamental skill performance in pre-service physical education teachers. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 35(Suppl.): S63.
- Overdorf, V.G. and Coker, C.A. (2013). The efficacy of movement analysis and intervention skills. Physical Educator, 70(2), 195-205.
- Coker, C.A. (2010). Practice schedules and putting distance accuracy. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 81, (Suppl.): A-36-37.
- Lounsbery, M.F. & Coker, C.A. (2008). Developing skill analysis competency in pre-service physical education teachers. Quest.60, 255-267
- Coker, C.A. & Johnson, L.V. Mission Possible: Achieving NASPE Standard 2 in Secondary Physical Education. AAHPERD, Boston, MA, March 2012.
- Coker, C.A. & Overdorf, V. Improving Movement Analysis and Intervention Skills in Professionals. International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP), Limerick, Ireland, June 2011.
- Coker, C.A. & Overdorf, V. Developing Skill Analysis Competency. AAHPERD, San Diego, CA, March 2011.
- Coker, C.A. Practice Schedules and Putting Distance Accuracy. AAHPERD, Indianapolis, IN March 2010.
- Coker, C.A. Long Term Female Athlete Development: From Playground to Podium. EDAAHPERD. Margaret Paulding Lecture, Rye, NY, February 2010.
Awards and Distinctions
- AAHPERD Honor Award, 2013
- Fellow, North American Society, 2013
- Southwest District Presidential Citation, 2010
- Margaret Paulding Lecturer, EDAHPERD, 2010
- NMAHPERD Professional Honor Award, 2007
- Southwest District AAHPERD Scholar, 2006
- Southwest District AAHPERD Honor Award, 2003
- Fellow, Research Consortium, AAHPERD, 2002
Associations, Boards, and Committees
- Motor Development and Learning Academy, Past Chair