Associate Professor of Organizational Communication and Organizational Behavior
Phone: (603) 535-2707
Professor Parker joined the Plymouth State University faculty in January 2010. She has been teaching in higher education since 1990. Parker earned her doctorate in Organizational Communication from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI and her master’s degree in Human Resource Development from Boston University. Her expertise is in conducting needs assessments, communication audits and designing interventions to improve organizational performance.
Parker’s research focuses on the relational effects of new communication technologies in virtual work and educational settings. A seasoned trainer and instructional designer, she is committed to making e-learning more effective in both university and corporate contexts. She has received grant funding in support of her work from both FIPSE and the Ohio Learning Network. Her research on this subject has most recently been published in The Research Journal of Center for Educational Technology and in the journal, Education, Technology, & Society.
Degrees and Education
- PhD, Wayne State University
- MEd, Boston University
- BA, SUNY-Oswego
Parker’s current projects include writing a book about redesigning courses for online delivery due out in November 2013 and a peer review system designed to facilitate better teamwork on student teams, titled Rate Your Mate™.
- Parker, R. E. & Child, J. (2012, November). The role of message sources on employee-reported awareness and interest in health promotion programs at work. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association. Orlando, Florida.
- Parker, R. E. & Coykendell, S. (2012, June). Rate Your Mate: A peer review process that facilitates and assesses collaboration in student groups. Program presented at the Lilly Conference on College & University Teaching & Learning. Bethesda, Maryland.
- Parker, R. E. & Ingram, A. (2011). Considerations in choosing online collaboration systems: functions,uses, & effects. Research Journal of the Center for Educational Technology, 7(1), 2-15.
- Parker, R. E. & Haridakis, P. (2008). Development of an Organizational Identification Scale: Integrating Cognitive and Communicative Conceptualizations. Journal of Communication & Media Studies, 1(3-4), 105-126.
- Parker, R. E. & Bianchi, A. (2008). Exploring student and faculty perceptions of technology in education. Education, Technology & Society, 11(2), 274- 293.
Awards and Distinctions
- Graduate Applause Award, University Teaching Council, Kent State University, three time recipient: 2003, 2005, and 2007
- Top Paper Panel Award for research at the National Communication Association, Human Technology Division and Applied Research Division, 2007
- Top Paper Panel Award for research at the Central States Communication Association, Organizational Communication Division, 2007
Associations, Boards, and Committees
- National Communication Association, member
- Provost Advisory Group on Promotion, Tenure, and Evaluation, member
- Assessment Committee, College of Business Administration, chair