Contract Faculty in Education
Graduate Program Coordinator for Elementary Education
Phone: (603) 535-2204(603) 535-2204
Susan Shapiro has worked as an elementary education classroom teacher, as well as a special educator in New Hampshire’s public schools. Prior to coming to Plymouth State University (PSU), Shapiro taught for many years as adjunct faculty in the graduate school at the University of New Hampshire. She has provided, and continues to provide, technical assistance and training to educators in New Hampshire and throughout the country on issues related to inclusive education and differentiated curriculum design. Shapiro has also published work on these topics. She is currently on the faculty of Plymouth State University, in the department of Educational Leadership, Learning, and Curriculum. She currently teaches courses in, and coordinates, the graduate program in Elementary Education at PSU’s College of Graduate Studies.
Degrees and Education
- MEd, University of New Hampshire
- BA, Wittenberg University
- Teacher education
- Differentiated instruction
- Inclusive education
- Conducted a day-long training for New Hampshire elementary educators titled Differentiated Instruction: Accessible Curriculum in Concord, New Hampshire, 2012
- Presented Barriers and Strategies to Social Relationships for All Children at the New Jersey Coalition for Inclusive Education’s Annual Summer Inclusion Conference, in Lakewood, NJ, 2012
- Presented Differentiated Instruction as Classroom Management to teachers and administrators at the APEX Conference in Bartlett, NH, 2012.
- Presented Supporting All Children to Have Friends at the Autism Summer Institute, 2010
- Conducted a two-day workshop in London, England for early childhood educators, childcare providers and families on the topic Facilitating Social Relationships for Young Children with Autism“, 2010