Graduate Adjunct Faculty, Environmental Science and Policy
Phone: (603) 535-2564
Degrees and Education
- PhD (expected 2012), Geology & Geophysics, University of Connecticut
- MFS, Coastal and Watershed Systems, Yale University
- BA, Civil Engineering, University of Connecticut
Denise is a research scientist and professional engineer working at the intersection of aquatic ecology, water resources engineering, and fluvial geomorphology. She is particularly interested in river and wetland restoration and baseline conditions of river networks.
- Burchsted D, Daniels MD. Beaver dams in northeastern Connecticut, U.S.A.: Small-scale discontinuities that generate large-scale complexity. Geomorphology (in review).
- Burchsted D, Daniels MD, Thorson RM, Vokoun JC. 2010. The river discontinuum: Applying beaver modifications to baseline conditions for restoration of forested headwaters. BioScience 60: 908-922.
- Burchsted D. 2007. Mount Hope River Watershed: Watershed-Based Plan of Conservation. Final Report to the Rivers Alliance of Connecticut: Litchfield (CT).
- Urban MC, Skelly DK, Burchsted D, Price W, Lowry S. 2006. Stream communities across a rural-urban landscape gradient. Diversity and Distributions, 12: 337-350.
- Apse C, Burchsted D, Robbins C, Triplet T. 1999. Improving Fish Passage in the West River: Alewife and Blueback Herring Passage at the Pond Lily Dam. Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies: New Haven (CT).
- Burchsted D. 1998. GIS Analysis of Salt Marsh Restoration: West River Memorial Park, New Haven and West Haven, CT. Report to Connecticut Sea Grant. Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies: New Haven (CT).
Awards and Distinctions
- Science To Achieve Results Fellowship, US Environmental Protection Agency, 2007-2010.
- Multidisciplinary Environmental Research Award, UConn Center for Environmental Science and Engineering, 2007 and 2010
- Sigma Xi Research Award, 2010
- Graduate Student Research Grant, Geological Society of America, 2008
- School Marshal for MFS Degree Recipients, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, 1999
- Gilman-Ordway Foundation Fellowship, Yale Club of New Haven Scholarship, Connecticut Sea Grant Research Award, 1998-1999
- Outstanding Woman Scholar, University of Connecticut, 1994.
Associations, Boards, and Committees
- Society for Ecological Restoration (SER), board member of SER New England Chapter
- Geological Society of America
- Sigma Xi
- Association for Women Geoscientists