Department Chair, Counselor Education and School Psychology;
Graduate Program Coordinator for School Counseling;
Professor of Counselor Education
Phone: (603) 535-3119
Gary Goodnough is chair of the Counselor Education and School Psychology Department and the coordinator of the school counseling graduate program at Plymouth State University. He is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and licensed clinical mental health counselor (LCMHC) in New Hampshire. Goodnough teaches courses in ethics, career counseling and school counseling. He regularly consults with school districts on comprehensive school counseling programs. Prior to becoming Professor of Counseling Education, he worked in public schools as an elementary school teacher in Maryland and as a school counselor and director of guidance in Virginia.
Goodnough is the author of over 30 articles and book chapters and is the co-editor of a book entitled Leadership, Advocacy, and Direct Service Strategies for Professional School Counselors. His work has been published in several counseling journals including Professional School Counseling, Counselor Education and Supervision, The Career Development Quarterly, and Journal for Specialists in Group Work. He is a practicing mental health counselor at the Counseling and Human Relations Center at PSU.
Degrees and Education
- PhD, Counselor Education, University of Virginia
- MEd, Counselor Education, University of Virginia
- BSEd, Elementary Education, University of Delaware
- Integral approaches to school counseling
- Principal and school counselor preparation issues
- Group counseling in schools
- Leadership and advocacy for school counselors
- Goodnough, G.E., Perusse, R., & Erford, B.T. (2011). Developmental classroom guidance. In B. T. Erford (ed.) Transforming the school counseling profession (3rd Ed., pp. 154-177). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Lee, V. V. & Goodnough, G. E. (2011). Systemic, data-driven practice and programming for equity. In B. T. Erford (ed.) Transforming the school counseling profession(3rd Ed., pp.129-153). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Goodnough, G. E., & Lee, V. V. (2010). Group counseling in schools. In B. T. Erford (Ed.). Professional school counseling: A handbook of theories, programs and practices, pp. 435-443. Austin, TX: PRO-ED
- Perusse, R., Goodnough, G. E., & Lee V.V (2009). Group counseling in the schools. Psychology in the Schools 46(3), 225-231.
- Ratts, M., Estrada, D., Ibriham, F., Goodnough, G.E., & Henning, S. (2012, March). ACA Code of Ethics and Social Justice: A Panel Discussion on Integrating Social Justice into the New ACA Code of Ethics. Presented at the American Counseling Association Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- Bartley, J., Hall, K.H., & Goodnough, G.E. (2011, October). Yikes: My classmate as a counselor? Roundtable discussion presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision National Convention. Nashville, TN.
- Pagnotta, J., & Goodnough, G.E. (2010, July). Repercussions of State Testing. Paper presented at the American School Counselors Association National Conference, Boston, MA.
Awards and Distinctions
- Marijane Fall Counselor Educator of the Year Award, North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, 2012. Read more
- Distinguished Graduate Teaching Award, Plymouth State University, 2007
- CO 5010 Professional Orientation, Ethics, and Advocacy
- CO 5230 Career Counseling and Development
- CO 5030 Foundations of School Counseling
- CO 5850 Seminar and Internship in School Counseling
- CO 5880 Seminar and Internship in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- CO 7120 Professional, Legal, and Ethical Issues in Counseling
- ED 8020 Ethical Leadership and Advocacy
Associations, Boards, and Committees
- Member of American Counseling Association’s Ethics Code Revision Task Force (2011-2014)
- American Counseling Association Ethics Committee Chair