Students who are pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete a Foreign Language Requirement. This can be accomplished by either:
- Taking 2 semesters of the same language.
- Taking one semester of one 3-credit language course at the 3000-level or above.
In order to build on your high school language foundation, students are strongly encouraged to complete their foreign language requirement in their first or second year.
The language requirement is satisfied for students who are native speakers of a language other than English. These students will need to submit a Student Request form through the Office of Undergraduate Studies.
Language Placement Exam
- If you are unsure of which level to register for, students may take a language placement exam. Exams are available for Spanish, French, and German.
- The exam takes only 20-30 minutes.
- The exam will be administered during Orientation between 8:00am and 10:00am.
- The exam will take place in Hyde 221.
- You may also make an appointment with Lisa Herder to take this exam at any time during the school year (5-2304 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Benefits of Language Study:
- Language classes at PSU are more fast-paced than in high school, but they are geared for real-life communication skills, are conversation and culture based, and fun. (Seriously!)
- A language minor (Spanish, French, German, TESOL) complements a major in nearly any discipline.
- Competency in a second language is a valuable skill that sets you apart from other job candidates
If you have any questions, please contact the Languages & Linguistics Department Chair Dr. Katharine Harrington at email@example.com