Small Fire in Smith Hall Causes Early Morning Student Evacuation Sept. 15

September 15th, 2007 by Adam

PLYMOUTH, N.H. –– A small fire contained to a single room in Smith Residence Hall on the Plymouth State University campus broke out early Saturday morning causing the evacuation of students living in the building.

According to the Plymouth Fire Department, they responded to a 5 a.m. alarm. The fire was in a room located on the fourth floor of the north wing of the building and was contained in just over 30 minutes. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental.

According to PSU’s Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator Tammy Hill approximately 250 students who live in Smith Hall were evacuated safely—there were no injuries reported. “Our life safety systems worked very well,” she said.

The room where the fire originated received moderate damage. The adjacent rooms were not damaged and the corridors were cleaned for minor water and smoke damage.

Hill added that students who live in areas of the building other than the north wing were able to return to their rooms by approximately 9 a.m. The 30 to 35 students who live in the north wing of the residence hall, where the fire occurred, were allowed back to their rooms by about 10:30 a.m.

PSU Director of Residential Life and Dining Services Frank Cocchiarella estimated that it will take about two weeks to repair the damage in the room where the fire occurred before the two students can return. In the interim alternative housing for the two students has been arranged.

Geneva M. Smith Hall, 10 High St, is located in the center of the PSU campus and houses about 250 students.

For more information contact Christopher M. Williams, director of public relations, at cwilliams@plymouth.edu or (603) 535-2476.