The OEP, or Office of Educator Preparation at Plymouth State University, is primarily responsible for the field and clinical experiences that lead to teacher certification in New Hampshire. PSU’s teacher certification programs are approved by the New Hampshire Department of Education and accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). We are also a member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE).
The OEP works with the Council of Educator Preparation to ensure the effectiveness, accreditation and approval of teacher preparation programs. The Council is responsible for the development, administration, revision and assessment of all teacher education programs.
Assessments used in student teaching indicate that our teacher candidates meet and exceed professional, state and institutional standards and have a positive effect on student learning, K-12. The OEP collaborates with school district partners, the state department of education and other educational agencies to maximize the learning experiences of teacher candidates. Our clinical experiences are characterized by collaboration, accountability and professionalism in continually improving learning environments.
Road to Internship in Teaching UNDERGRADUATE Student Gate Requirements
Gate 1: Teacher Certification Candidacy
Freshman or Sophomore year
- Internship Candidacy Application
- Passing Core Academic Skills For Educators Scores (see gate 1)
- Faculty Evaluation of Intern (2 required) (DO NOT PRINT OUT THIS FORM. Please ask faculty to fill out online form)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5
Gate 2: Student Teaching Application
(one year prior to student teaching)
End of Junior year/Start of Senior year
- Internship in Teaching Application
- Curriculum Planning Guide (make an appointment at Undergraduate Advising Mary Lyon 034 )
- Cumulative Department GPA of 2.5/2.7 (GPA Requirements)
Gate 3: Acceptance into Student Teaching
The Student Teaching Application Packet, requirements 1-3, must be completed by the Student Teacher Candidate before placement is considered.
- Resumé (email to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Philosophy of Teaching (email to: email@example.com )
- Placement Information Sheet (Signed by department coordinator)
- Department Approval
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5/2.7 (GPA Requirements)
- Seminar 1 – Preparing for Internship
- Seminar 2 – Internship Rules and Regulations
- Internship in Teaching Registration
- Internship Placement Confirmation Sheet (one)
- Placement Confirmation Two (if applicable)
- Register for Internship (Registration form given to you in Seminar 1)
Gate 4: Student Teaching and Program
- Observation Form One – University Supervisor Forms
- Observation Form Two – University Supervisor Forms
- First Site/Midterm Evaluation – University Supervisor Forms
- Second Site/Final Evaluation – University Supervisor Forms
- First Site/Midterm Evaluation – Mentor Teacher Forms
- Second Site/Final Evaluation – Mentor Teacher Forms
- Seminar 3– Preparing for Employment
- Seminar 4 – Program Assessment, Closure to Internship in Teaching, and Certification
- Eligible for Certification (See requirements listed below)
Upon completion of Gates 1-4
Gate: The term gate is commonly used by NCATE accredited colleges and universities to describe their decision points in their candidate and unit assessment systems. A gate is a level of attainment that clearly communicates how far you have progressed on the road to certification.