Research shows that students who work while attending school generally have higher grades, graduate faster and more easily find jobs after graduation. Student employment also helps students make connections that will get them through their first year in a more successful and positive manner.
As a student worker, you can gain experience in your field of study at Plymouth State University or in areas of personal interest. Hiring departments understand that education is the top priority and are flexible in working around student schedules. For these reasons, as well as for the financial benefits, we encourage students to consider on campus employment.
Federal Work Study
The federal work study program provides access to jobs for undergraduates who have demonstrated financial need as determined from the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal work study awards will be listed as a separate item on the financial aid award. The work study program is designed to help eligible students meet the costs of higher education by allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages work related to the student’s course of study and community service work.
- Pay rates are $7.25, $7.50, and $7.75, as assigned by the supervisor. Pay rates are in compliance with Federal and State minimum wage requirements.
- Earnings from the federal work study program, although taxable, are excluded from the student’s income for purposes of applying for aid through the FAFSA for the following year.
- Earnings are paid directly to the student and will not be applied to the bill.
- Student workers are paid by the hour and paychecks are distributed on a bi-weekly schedule.
- Direct deposit is available if you wish to have your paychecks automatically deposited into your checking or savings account.
Note: The bookstore and dining services are owned and operated by outside agencies; therefore, federal work study may not be used.
Even if you do not have federal work study, there are still employment opportunities available to you on campus. Plymouth State University hires many students on the student hourly program. Pay rates are the same as for federal work study ($7.25, $7.50, and $7.75) and are assigned by the supervisor.
PSU encourages students to participate in community service activities. Several paid, community service federal work study opportunities are available through the Center for Business & Community Partnerships located on the second floor of the Samuel Read Hall Building. If you have been awarded federal work study and are interested in working with a community service organization, please contact Casey Krafton at 603-535-3274.
PSU also has opportunities for students to gain experience in their fields through internships. For more information about internships available and other off-campus opportunities for current or graduating students, please visit the Career Services webpage.
** International Students please contact the Global Education Office for on-campus employment terms.**