Position Title: Building Manager
Responsible to: Associate Director of the Hartman Union
Knowledge of all student job station responsibilities and duties within the operations area of the Hartman Union(as well as some duties of the Recreation job stations which directly affect building managing). Knowledge of all rules and policies governing use of the Hartman Union. Ability to address crisis situations, medical emergencies, and building maintenance issues as necessary. Maintain a safe environment for all users of the Hartman Union. As the primary supervisor of the building after normal work hours, you are expected to be fully operational in all other non-recreation job stations.
This position works one evening weekday shift (Monday-Thursday at either 4pm-8pm or 8pm-12midnight), and two weekend shifts every other weekend (Friday 4pm-8pm, 8pm-12midnight, or Saturday-Sunday 9am-2pm, 2pm-7pm, or 7pm-12midnight)
Open the building on designated school holidays and on all weekends and secure the building at closing time every evening. Securing the building includes:
- Enter all student organization and administrative offices and meeting rooms to check for opened windows – securing them if need be. All lights in the building should be in the off position, all windows shut and locked, all doors – internal and external – shut and locked.
- Secure the floor-to-ceiling gate that closes off the media hallway and all areas south from the rest of the building. No one is allowed north of the gated area, and all users remaining in the south end of the building may only have computer cluster access. The cluster will always be closed by campus security. Building Managers open the cluster on weekends and holidays.
- Secure the Cardio Theater and Courtroom on the closing shift, making certain that all TV’s and stereo components are off, the cardio machines are off, all overhead lights are completely off (not just dimmed), and every door and window, including the inner office doors/windows, are locked.
- Obtain confirmation of approved after-hours status from any students insisting that they are allowed to remain in the HUB after normal closing hours. The after-hours pass must be signed by the Director or the Associate Director of the HUB to be valid. Copies of legitimate passes will be located in the front pocket of the Building Manager’s binder for the evenings in question, in case a student claims they forgot their pass.
Responsible for greeting persons sponsoring events in the HUB. Shall open rooms for meetings, check cleanliness and the set-up of rooms and set-up of A.V. equipment as needed.
Supervise Courtroom changeovers, and complete room set-ups and take-downs as required.
Assist customers in any way possible. Be aware of the daily events occurring in the building. Be familiar with the physical layout of the Hartman Union and the rest of the campus so that you may direct unfamiliar individuals to their desired locations.
- Review daily reports to assess times that rooms will need to be opened for meetings and/or events. Check the campus reservationist’s file for room reservation slips when conflicts arise over room bookings.
- Break down and return to storage any technical equipment you see out in the Fireplace Lounge or in meeting/function rooms once the area has been vacated and you are certain the tech isn’t needed for upcoming events (can check reservation slips for confirmation).
Supervise all other student job stations within the Hartman Union Building, overseeing that job duties are being performed at a satisfactory standard. Record violations in job conduct and indicate any late arrivals and/or no-show’s on the shift report forms.
Complete the Building Manager shift reports for your shifts in their entirety. Make sure you include the day’s date and the shift times in the space provided and submit the report electronically using the web-based system located on the Hartman Union and Student Activities web site.
Secure the Recreation Programs Equipment cash box in the lower cabinet of the 2-drawer filing cabinet located in the administrative office kitchen. Indicate on the shift report form the time the box was turned in to you (necessary during the 4-8pm shift only).
Indicate the arrival time of the evening building utility worker in your shift report in the section designated for this information (necessary during the 8pm-12am shift only).
When serving as the Information Booth Assistant as well as Building Manager, perform all duties of the Information Booth Assistant (i.e.: receive incoming calls, answer questions, take messages, and transfer calls to appropriate parties).
Remain up-to-date on all procedures for the Information Booth (i.e.: game equipment and student organization key sign out’s, lost and found procedures). Check the Information Booth Manual on each shift to see if new event information has been added.
Be trained in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), first aid, and handling and disposing of blood borne pathogens.
Attend all scheduled meetings and training sessions.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Associate Director or HUB management.