1. Stay in touch. Share your class schedule with family and friends and arrange regular calls while walking to and from class. This way, your loved ones know you’re going to class and that you’re safe.
2. Secure the perimeter. You wouldn’t just leave the front door to your house open, would you? It works the same way on campus. Never let someone into your residence hall you don’t know and never prop doors open.
3. Lock it up. Whether you’re simply headed to the shower or down the hall to a friend’s room, lock your door every time you leave to keep all of your valuables safe when you’re away.
4. Be safe online. In today’s digital age it’s too easy to share personal information online. Avoid updates on any websites that share your location or personal information and make sure your settings are private.
5. Keep track of keys. If you lose a set, report it to your residence hall director or community advisor immediately to ensure your safety and the security of the building.
6. Lock and check your car. Be sure to always lock your car and never leave any valuables in plain view. Remember to also check on it from time to time.
7. Map it out. Take time to familiarize yourself with the campus. You should know where emergency phones are located, the best-lit paths to take and the safest ways to get around during both the day and night. Be aware and observant of your surroundings.
8. Protect your stuff. Whether studying in the library or eating in the union, it’s tempting to run to the bathroom or grab a quick snack while leaving your laptop, identification, smartphone or keys on the table.
9. Know your numbers. Keep all important emergency phone numbers stored in your phone and at least one other place, in the unfortunate event that your phone is broken or missing. Also, sign up for PSU Alerts to be notified of emergency situations on campus via text message.
10. Phone a friend. Regardless of time of day, when heading out across campus, find a friend who is also headed your way. Safety in numbers should never be discounted.