In 8 out of 10 rape cases, the victim knew their attacker.
- Tjaden, P, Thoennes N. Full Report of the Prevalence, Incidence, and Consequences of Violence Against Women: Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey, Washington (DC): National Institute of Justice; 2000. Report NCJ 183781.
One in four women (25%) has experienced domestic violence in her lifetime.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and The National Institute of Justice, Extent, Nature, and Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence, July 2000.
Annually in the United States, 503,485 women are stalked by an intimate partner.
- Patricia Tjaden and Nancy Thoennes, Extent, Nature, and Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence, National Institute of Justice, 2000
Nearly 1 in 4 women may experience sexual violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- The World Health Report Fact Sheet on Sexual Violence, 2002.
Approximately 1 in 4 stalking victims reported some form of cyberstalking such as e-mail (83%) or instant messaging (35%).
- Bureau of Justice statistics, Katrina Baum, Ph.D., Shannan M. Catalano, Ph.D., Michael R. Rand, Kristina Rose, 2009
Rape victims are more likely than non-victims to smoke cigarettes, overeat, drink alcohol, and are not likely to use seat belts.
- Koss, MP, Koss, PG, Woodruff, W. “Deleterious Effects of Criminal Victimization on Women’s Health and Medical Utilization.” Archives of Internal Medicine, 1991.
Nearly three out of four (74%) of Americans personally know someone who is or has been a victim of domestic violence.
– Allstate Foundation National Poll on Domestic Violence, 2006
According to the U.S. Department of Justice, an estimated 91% of the victims of rape and sexual assault are female and 9% are male. Nearly 99% of the offenders they described in single-victim incidents are male
- Violence Against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, US Department of Justice, 1994.
13.3% of college women indicated that they had been forced to have sex in a dating situation
- Johnson, I, Sigler R, 2000. “Forced Sexual Intercourse Among Intimates,” Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 15(1).