Add/Drop Period

Students may add or drop full-semester, first-half, or first-quarter until the end of the seventh calendar day of the semester.  Internships, practica, individual enrollment courses, independent study, second-half, fourth-quarter, Performance Study, and auditioned courses may be added or dropped until the 10th Friday after the first day of classes.  Adding or dropping a course does not require the signature of the instructor.  Courses dropped within the drop period will be removed from the transcript.

Late adds:  Late adds are allowed with the signature of the instructor, but a fee of $50 per course will be assessed. Late adds after the term ends will require a fee of $100 per course.

Auditing a Course

Students who wish to take a course for their own interest or development but not for credit may register to audit most courses. Auditors usually are not required to complete normal class requirements. No grades will be issued to students who have registered as auditors. An AU will be entered on the transcript for the audited course. Students wishing to change a graded course to audit must complete the transaction with the Registrar before the end of the appropriate course add period (see Course Adds).

Withdrawal Period

Students may withdraw from full-semester courses any time after the end of the drop period (the seventh calendar day of the semester) until the 10th Friday after the first day of classes. Students may withdraw from internships, practica, individual enrollment courses, independent study, second half, Performance Study, fourth quarter, and auditioned courses from the 10th Friday after the first day of classes until the 14th Friday after the first day of classes. The instructor must sign the course withdrawal form. Students must submit the course withdrawal form to the Registrar after it has been signed by the instructor. A grade of W (withdrawal) will be recorded on the transcript. Withdrawal (W) grades do not contribute to a student’s grade point average.

Late Withdrawal: After the withdrawal period has ended, students may petition for withdrawal from a course only under extenuating circumstances such as, but not limited to, the following:

  • Documented learning disability for which evidence has been produced after the withdrawal period has ended.
  • Documented medical circumstances arising after the withdrawal period has ended.
  • Care of family during an emergency, arising after the withdrawal period has ended.
  • Military duty, where activation has occurred after the withdrawal period has ended.
  • Jury duty.
  • Transfer credit that is verified only after the withdrawal period has ended.

The petition is to be presented to the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Studies and must include a letter explaining the extenuating circumstances, whatever documentation is available and a course withdrawal form signed by the instructor, indicating a grade of W is to be assigned.

Overload Credit

Full-time students taking more than 17 credits during a fall or spring semester are assessed a per credit overload fee. See the Overload Fees in the Tuition and Fees section for details. Students with a 2.33 (minimum) cumulative grade point average are eligible to take up to four credits of overload by completing an Overload Request Form which is available at the Registrar’s Office or may be downloaded from the forms section of the Registrar’s web site. Students with a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.33 and students requesting more than four credits of overload must secure, by the appropriate add deadline, the approval of their advisor and the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Studies (or designee).
During Winterim students with a 2.33 (minimum) cumulative grade point average may enroll for six credits.  Students with a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.33 may enroll for six credits, with permission of the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Studies.  Any student requesting more than six credits must secure the permission of the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Studies.  During summer sessions students may enroll for nine credits. Any student requesting more than nine credits must secure permission from the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Studies.

Music Ensemble and Theatre Performance Overload: Students who have registered for a music ensemble course (e.g., The Music Theatre Company, University Chorale, etc.) once, for one credit hour; or a theatre performance/production (e.g., Practicum in Production), may request a waiver of the overload fee on the occasion of subsequent enrollments in the same course. Appeals must be made to the Chair of the Music, Theatre, and Dance Department.

Early Evaluation

To provide early evaluation for first-semester, first-year students (those who have attempted fewer than 12 credits), at the end of the first six weeks of classes, instructors of full-semester courses submit grades on these students’ performance. These students are urged to discuss these grades with their advisors and instructors. After consultation with the advisor and instructor(s), these first year students may drop full-semester course(s) within two weeks after notice of the early evaluation.

Grade Reports

Final grades may be accessed via myPlymouth. To request a printed copy of a grade report, students must contact the Registrar’s Office in writing. Grades are never given out over the telephone because of privacy regulations and may only be mailed to or picked up by the student.

First Day Drop

Students who do not appear for the first class meeting of each course and do not notify the course instructor before that class meeting that they will be absent, may be dropped from the course by the instructor and their place may be given to another student.
Students should not, however, assume they have been dropped if they miss the first class. This policy is most typically used by instructors of courses in which demand is high and ability to accommodate extra students is low. Students should make a point early each semester to verify their academic schedule online.

Grade Appeals

Students who challenge a grade should begin by talking with the instructor of the course involved. If the situation cannot be resolved by that means, or if the nature of the problem precludes discussion with the instructor, students may bring the matter to the attention of the chair of the individual’s department. The chair will attempt to resolve the matter either through discussion with the instructor alone or jointly with the student. If these meetings do not provide a solution satisfactory to all parties, the question may be taken to the Associate Vice President of Undergraduate Studies where the matter will be reviewed. Regardless of the outcome of these discussions, only the instructor of a course, using her/his professional judgment, can change a student’s grade. If the Associate Vice President is not satisfied with the proceedings. the Associate Vice President can ask the Academic Standards Committee to hear the matter as described in I and II under Standards for Fair Grading in the academic catalog.

Grading System

Letter grades, with pluses and minuses noted, are used to assess the relative extent to which students achieve course objectives in the vast majority of Plymouth State University courses. These courses are the ones on which a student’s grade point average is based. A student’s grade point average is calculated on both a semester basis and on a cumulative basis which takes into account all grades earned by a student at Plymouth State University. Grades earned at other colleges/universities whose credits were transferred into PSU are not taken into account except translocated courses as described in the Transferring Credits section of the academic catalog.

Grade point average: The following grade point system is used to determine the student’s grade point average.

Grade Points per Credit
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00

The point equivalent of a grade is multiplied by the credits earned in that course. The sum total of all such point earned in a semester, divided by the number of credits attempted, yields the semester grade point average as illustrated below.

Course Grade Points Credits Total Points
Composition B 3.00 3 9.00
General Biology C+ 2.33 3 6.99
Sociology A 4.00 3 12.00
Jazz Band A- 3.67 1 3.67
Finite Math B 3.00 3 9.00
Macroeconomics B+ 3.33 3 9.99
16 50.65
  • The 50.65 grade points are divided by 16 credits and yield a semester grade point average of 3.17.
  • To calculate a cumulative grade point average, the same procedure described above to calculate the semester grade point average is used. The only difference is that all graded credits and points earned at Plymouth State University are used.  The PSU transcript keeps a running tally of the cumulative grade point average as well as of the semester grade point average.
  • The PSU transcript keeps a running tally of the cumulative grade point average as well as of the semester grade point average.
  • Administrative Failure:  The notation AF stands for administrative failure.  This is placed on a student’s transcript when an instructor does not have enough information to assign a letter grade in a graded course.  The administrative failure is usually a student’s failure to drop a course they stopped attending.  An AF counts as an F grade in the calculation of grade point averages.  It is not a reason for a course withdrawal.
  • Pass/No Pass courses: Some courses at Plymouth are designated in their course descriptions as being pass/no pass (P/NP). Credits earned by passing these courses are added to the total credits earned (graded and transfer courses as well as credit-by-exam).  Pass/No Pass credits also are included in credits attempted.  Credits earned in P/NP courses do not affect the grade point average.  Matriculated students are not permitted to take more than one-sixth of their total degree program credits on a P/NP basis.  Only courses identified as P/NPin the course description may be graded Pass/No Pass.
  • Incompletes: A grade of incomplete (IC) should be awarded at the discretion of the course instructor in the instance that a minimal proportion of the total class work needs to be completed, such as an exam, paper, or project.  The instructor, in consultation with the student, determines the conditions for the granting and completing of the Incomplete and files a Request for Incomplete Grade form with the Registrar’s Office before the final grades are due.  Forms are available online at  An IC is is not a permanent grade; the Incomplete must be completed by the final day of classes of the subsequent semester (fall and Winterim Incompletes are due in the spring; spring and summer Incompletes are due in the fall), or by the date specified by the instructor, whichever comes first.  If the Incomplete is not completed by the expiration of this period, a grade of F will be recorded, unless the instructor stipulates a different grade.  Requests for extending the completion date of an IC grade must be approved by the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Studies and must be signed by both the student and instructor.  A student may not graduate with an Incomplete on his or her transcript.  Forms required for a student to be granted an Incomplete are turned in by instructors when final grades are due.  Please note that a student with an outstanding incomplete in a course may not register for that course.
  • Temporary Grades: The ‘NG’ on a grade report stands for no grade submitted. It means that the Registrar’s office did not receive a grade from the instructor by the time grade reports were created. The student is welcome to contact the instructor in this case. When the grade is received by the Registrar’s Office, student transcripts are updated. ‘E’ stands for ‘extended evaluation’; it denotes a course whose completion stretches across more than one semester. NGs and Es must be completed by the end of two years, or the student’s graduation, whichever comes first. If NGs and Es are not replaced with permanent grades by that time, a grade of ‘AW’ will be recorded on the student’s transcript.
  • Credits Attempted: If a student fails a course by earning either an ‘F’, or an ‘AF’ in a graded course or an ‘NP’ in a P/NP course, the credits that would have been earned if the course had been successfully completed are added to the transcript column titled Credits Attempted. Credits attempted reflects the grand total of credits earned through successful completion of courses and credits not earned because of unsatisfactory performance, as well as transfer and credit-by-examination.  Students’ academic standing is based on the number of credits attempted, as described below.  Students should be aware that if a minimum number of credits is not successfully completed each semester at PSU, financial aid awards may be in jeopardy (see the Financial Aid section of the academic catalog).
  • Repeating courses: Students are allowed to retake any course in which they earned a grade of C- or lower.   Credits and grade points for the first grade will be deleted from the cumulative record, while the grade itself will remain on the transcript and the repeat noted with an “E” (Exclude) next to the grade. The course information will be listed in the usual manner the second time it appears on the transcript. The most recent grade counts even if lower than an earlier grade.
  • If the course grade is ‘F’, ‘AF’ or ‘NP’, students may also repeat the course at another college or university and transfer the credit into Plymouth State University. The transfer course must be equivalent to the course failed at PSU. Upon receipt of the transfer credit, the PSU grade of F or AF will be removed from the grade point calculation. The procedure that needs to be followed is detailed in the Transferring Credits to Plymouth State University section of the academic catalog.
  • Academic bankruptcy: An undergraduate student who is seeking readmission to the university may choose to have all Plymouth State University course work which is at least seven academic years old be exempt from the calculation of the grade point average. In choosing this option, such a student would receive credit for courses in which a grade of ‘C’ or better was earned; the grades for such courses, however, would not be included in the computation of the grade point average. The declaration of academic bankruptcy must be made to the Office of Undergraduate Studies at the time of re-enrollment and can be claimed no more than once in a student’s career at the University.

Registration for Continuing Education

The Frost School also provides opportunities for Continuing Education students.  Continuing Education students are those students who are taking credit-bearing courses, but who have not been formally admitted to PSU.  Continuing Education students may take a maximum of 11.5 credits during the main fall and spring semesters; they are, by definition, part-time students.  Students may request to be added to the Frost School of Continuing and professional Studies mailing list to receive regular announcements of offerings.  Consultation with Frost School advisors about courses, registration, and tuition is available at or at (603)535-2822.  Additional information is available at  The Frost School office is located in Room 116 of the Speare Administration Building.

Winterim and Summer Sessions:

The Frost School provides year-round access to classes through the Winterim (January) and summer sessions.  The Winterim and summer sessions are available to all students.  These sessions provide students with the opportunity to make steady progress toward their degrees, to catch up or get ahead on earning credits, or to raise their grade point average. Winterim and summer rates and/or fees are lower than fall and spring terms; housing and meals are available at additional cost.  More online courses are offered so students can take a course from the convenience of home or while they are working.   The maximum number of credits allowed during Winterim is typically six, while during the summer the maximum is nine.  Check for a list of scheduled courses. Registration forms are available in the Winterim and summer course brochures and may be submitted to the Registrar’s Office or the Frost School office.  Payment for Winterim and summer courses is expected at the time of registration.

Registration for Matriculated (Degree-Seeking) Students

New matriculated students register for courses at New Student Orientation after having had an introduction to Plymouth State University’s degree programs and registration procedures. Currently enrolled and matriculated students register for fall classes the previous April and for spring classes the previous November. This process is known as Initial Registration. The Schedule of Classes is published by the Office of the Registrar in late-March and late-October. Included are a general registration schedule, a calendar of important dates, notices regarding clearance of holds and payment of tuition, instructions, and the schedule of classes.
Students register according to the total number of credits earned on their transcript, including credits transferred, prior to the sixth Friday after the start of the term in which Initial Registration occurs. Students with no credits earned register based on computerized randomization. Registration time tickets and Web Reg Access Codes are available from their advisor.  Time tickets are also available online in the registration system.

Students should consult their Catalog and Degree Evaluation (available on myPlymouth) as they begin to plan their schedule.  During the two weeks before registration, students should consult with their advisor and obtain their Web Reg Access Code.  Students may then register for classes on the Web based on their time ticket and for several weeks thereafter.

Undergraduate Seniors Registering for Graduate Work

Information about the graduate programs available at PSU may be found in the Plymouth State University Graduate Catalog. Seniors with a 3.00 or better cumulative grade point average may take up to six credits of graduate work at PSU. The credits count toward completion of the undergraduate degree as well as towards the graduate degree. Permission of the instructor, the advisor, the Department Chair or designee, the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies and the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Studies is required prior to course registration, using a Student Request Form; these forms are available at the Undergraduate Studies Office.