Student Enrollment

Class Attendance Policy

Leave of Absence Policy (effective Fall 2009)


Class Level:

Students are classified according to the total number of credits earned, including transfer credits accepted, as follows:

Class level Number of Credits
First Year Fewer than 24
Second Year (sophomore) 24-47
Third Year (Junior) 48-71
Fourth Year (Senior) 72-95
Fifth Year (Senior +) 96 or more

Enrollment Verification

Plymouth State University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide all degree and enrollment verification. National Student Clearinghouse may be contacted at:

National Student Clearinghouse

13454 Sunrise Valley Dr, Ste 300

Herndon VA, 20171

Fax: (703)-742-4239



Enrollment Certificates may be obtained (at the earliest) two weeks prior to the start of the fall and spring semesters from the NSC website. For verifications prior to that, students should submit a copu of their online schedule to the requester. Students may access the service by logging into myPlymouth and choosing the Enrollment Verification link in Self Service.

For enrollment verification or certification purposes, the following catergories are used for undergraduate students during the fall and spring semesters:

12.0 credits or more Full-time
6.0 to 11.5 credits At least half-time
Fewer than 6.0 credits Less than half-time

Categories are based on the number of credits in which students are enrolled on the date the verification or certification letter is prepared. For more detailed information, see the enrollment verification policy posted at the Office of the Registrar or on the Registrar’s Web page. An Enrollment Verification form is also available.

Student Classification

Students at Plymouth State University may be either matriculated (degree-seeking) students or continuing education students. To be a matriculated student at PSU means that the student has been admitted, and is actively working on a degree program. Continuing education students have not been admitted into a PSU degree program or they have been withdrawn. Continuing education students at PSU are taking courses for the purposes of lifelong education or to transfer credits earned into a degree program at PSU or elsewhere.

Matriculated students are classified as either part-time or full-time depending on the number of credits in which they are enrolled. Part-time matriculated students are those who have enrolled in 11.5 credits or less in any given semester. Full-time matriculated students are those who are enrolled in 12 or more credits in any given semester. Billing is done on a per credit basis for part-time matriculated students. Full-time students receive the same bill for taking 12 to 17 credits.

Part-time matriculated students who wish to change to full-time should make their request in writing to the registrar. The deadline is the end of the first week of classes in the term in which the change is to be effective. Students should include the following information: name (printed), student ID number, date, current address, current phone number, statement of request and term to be effective, and signature. For currently admitted matriculated students, an on-time request to change to full-time status is automatically granted. Students not currently admitted to the University should contact the Office of Admissions regarding readmission.

Full-time matriculated students who wish to change to part-time status must request a change of status in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (Speare Building, Room 305). This request must be made by the end of the add period in the semester in which the change is to be effective. Students should consult the Schedule of Classes, either online or the printed copy, or the Web calendar for the add deadline. A change to part-time status may affect a student’s eligibility for financial aid, on-campus housing, and intercollegiate athletics, as well as eligibility for loan deferments, insurance and the like. Full-time tuition and fees will be charged to all students identified as full-time when admitted.

All matriculated students (full-time and part-time) must be enrolled in at least one credit in each regular semester, spring or fall, or they will be withdrawn from the University. All matriculated students (full-time and part-time) who have been withdrawn but wish to return to a degree program must contact the Office of Admission to apply for readmission.

Withdrawing from the University and Readmission

Prior to leaving, students should inform the Vice President for Student Affairs of their intention to withdraw from the University; a Withdrawal Form should be completed. Withdrawing from the University prior to the beginning of the final examination period, when all University obligations have been met, means that student’s academic records are not adversely affected by the semester in which they withdraw. A notation of ‘W’ will be recorded on the student’s transcript. If students withdraw after the beginning of the final examination period, without taking final examinations, failing grades will be recorded on students’ transcripts.  If student withdraw after the beginning of the final examination period, without taking final examinations, failing grades will be recorded on students’ transcripts for the semester in which they withdrew.

Students who wish to re-enter Plymouth State University as matriculated (degree-seeking) students in a subsequent semester must reapply for admission through the Office of Admission. Students who wish to be readmitted into a teacher education program leading to teacher certification will need to follow program guidelines in the most recent Academic Catalog at the time of readmission. To qualify for readmission students must meet the grade point average requirement for the total credits attempted as indicated in the Academic Standing section.

Students who have withdrawn from the University or have been withdrawn by the University and who wish to complete their degree program without taking further class work at PSU, should contact the Degree Auditor to be reactivated for graduation.  The Auditor will send a Degree Request, but students will not be placed on the graduation file until the Degree Request is received and approved by the Auditor.  Students reactivated for graduation only are not readmitted to take classes at the University.  Those wishing to resume undergraduate coursework at PSU must apply for readmission through the Office of Admission.