Frequently Asked Qs

Below are some common questions students and parents ask regarding on-campus housing and dining at PSU.

If you can’t find your answer here, please contact us.

Jump to questions about:

Meal Plans
Room Assignment
Residence Halls


Who is required to live on campus?

Plymouth State University policy states that all students are required to live on campus if space is available. This policy is sometimes adjusted in order to best fit the needs of the community and campus.

For the 2015-2016 academic year, the following are the approved criteria for students to be released from the above obligation:
  • Students who are 20 years of age on or before May 31, 2015
  • Students who have satisfactorily completed 45 or more Plymouth State University credits as documented by Plymouth State University official registrar records prior to February 10, 2015.
  • Students who can show evidence of 2 (two) or more years of military service to be completed on or before May 31, 2015.

 Note: Exceptions to the requirement for those not meeting the above criteria are made for commuting students who can show appropriate documentation and are approved by Residential Life.

(Commuter policy and request for release are available from the Office of Residential Life)

Full-time students not meeting one of these criteria are expected to live in on-campus housing for the 2015-2016 academic year. (See Residential Life for exceptions)


Current policy: 2014-15 academic year, students who will be 20 on or before September 1, 2014 or have earned 30 or more credits prior to the start of the spring 2014 semester are eligible to live off campus. All first- and second-year students are expected to live on campus.

Can I move off campus after the first semester?

No. Your lease with Residential Life is for the entire academic year (September – May). You must fulfill this obligation unless you are released for academic purposes.

Where can I read the lease agreement?

You can view lease agreements here.

Who is eligible to live in the White Mountain Apartments or Langdon Woods?

Any student who has achieved at least sophomore status is eligible to live in the White Mountain Apartment Complex or Langdon Woods.

Where do first-year students live?

First-year students live in all traditional residence halls (each building has a mix of first-year students and upperclassmen). Traditional age first-year students do not live in the University Apartments or Langdon Woods.

Am I able to have a roommate who is not a student?

No. Anyone residing in campus housing must be a currently enrolled PSU student. Priority is given to full-time matriculated students.

Can I move in early?

During the summer Plymouth State operates many conferences, events, and special functions that utilize the residence hall facilities. In addition to those functions we also take this time to renovate, repair, and clean the facilities. As a result, it is typically not possible to move in to your residence hall before the published opening day / time. Knowing this, we ask that you coordinate your move-in plans well in advance of the fall semester opening by arranging for transportation and, if needed, having family members available to assist you. For any additional questions, contact the residence director of your hall.

Students who are on fall semester athletic teams that are required by their coaches to return early, as well as students attending the early Community Service Orientation already have specific and special arrangements in place for earlier arrival. The specific details regarding this will be shared with you in advance by your coach or the program coordinator in advance.

Why do I have to indicate smoking/non-smoking status?

Even though smoking is prohibited in residence halls, it is very important to accurately indicate your status as a smoker/non-smoker. Many non-smokers don’t like the smell of smoke on clothing or other possessions or are allergic to it.

What are the community standards and policy expectations?

You can view our our community standards documents at this link.

What are the community standards and policy expectations for the University Apartments?

back to top


What are the housing rates?

The following are housing rates for the 2014 – 2015 academic year. Rates for 2015 – 2016 will remain the same!

All rates are per person, per semester.

Traditional Hall: (Belknap, Blair, Grafton, Pemi, Geneva Smith)
Single Room $4,223
Double Room $3,375
Triple Room $2,760

Mary Lyon:
Single Room $4,425
Double Room $3,710
Triple Room $3,415
Quad Room $3,415

Langdon Woods:
Double room with private bath $3,720
Single room with private bath $4,645
Suite Style Single (4-person unit with 4 private bedrooms) $4,325

University Apartments:
2-bedroom, 4-person apartment $3,720
1-bedroom, 2-person apartment $3,969
2-bedroom, 2-person apartment $4,325
1-bedroom, 1-person apartment $4,999

Updated 02-12-14

back to top

Meal Plans

What are the available meal plans?

Visit the Dining Services page to see the available meal plans and details. Due to limited cooking facilities, all first and second year students living in a residence hall are required to be on a meal plan. Juniors and seniors living anywhere on campus have the option to take a plan.

For more information, please go to the Meal Plan Prices and Options web page.

How do I find out how many dining swipes are left on my meal plan?

Next time you have your id swiped for a meal, ask the person doing the scanning how many dining swipes you have left.

You can also check this on your my.Plymouth page, on the Welcome tab, bottom left side of the page.

I'm running out of dining swipes, what do I do?

Please stop by the ResLife office in the garden level of Mary Lyon and we can talk about what the best option is for your situation. Throughout the semester we allow the purchase of additional blocks of swipes, or adding flex cash to your account. If you are running out of dining swipes for the current semester, you want to reconsider now, which meal plan you should choose for next semester.

How do I change my meal plan?

When school is in session, you must stop by the ResLife office in the garden level of Mary Lyon to discuss your options. You may always change your meal plan for next semester. If the deadline for the current semester has passed, you may not change your meal plan unless there are extenuating circumstances, you may discuss this with the staff at ResLife. Click Here for the online meal plan request form.

I tried changing my meal plan online and it won't let me, what's up?

You may only change your meal plan online when school is not in session. To change your meal plan for next semester, please stop into the ResLife office in the garden level of Mary Lyon.

back to top

Room Assignment

How do I get assigned a room?

Room assignments are made based on the day you paid your housing deposit. We begin accepting housing deposits in November and the deadline to receive them is July 1st. The closer your deposit date gets to July 1st…the less likely that you will get your requests or preferences because there will be a limited number of spaces left. Because they are the last people on campus to be signed up for rooms, most incoming freshman will be assigned to triple rooms.

How do I get assigned a roommate?

Roommates for incoming students are assigned together based on when the housing deposit is paid. The sooner it is paid, the better your chances of getting a specific location – although there are no guarantees!

Assignments are also made based on smoker/non-smoker preferences so it is important to accurately state your status on the Residence and Dining Agreement. Many non-smokers do not like the smell of smoke on clothing even if the smoker refrains from smoking in the room.

When will I know my assignment?

All students who have paid the room deposit by the due date will be granted housing starting in the fall semester. We assign students throughout the summer and provide online assignment information (with roommate information) beginning in mid-July. Some first-year students will be assigned to a triple-capacity room; however, the initial charge on bills mailed out during the summer may reflect a double-room rate. An appropriate adjustment will be made to the student accounts once the final assignment is in place. If the student is ultimately assigned to a double-capacity room no adjustment will be made; however, if the student is ultimately assigned to a triple-capacity room the charge will be adjusted and the difference will be credited back to the student account.

Can I change my room after I move in?

We have a two week room freeze except in emergencies. We encourage roommates to work out their differences, but we do allow room changes after the first two weeks.

back to top


Can I build a loft in my room?

Although homemade lofts are not permitted for use in our residential facilities, students wishing to have a loft should consider renting components from Vermont Loft and Futon.

Students should be aware that not all bed types are compatible with their product. Additional information regarding their product can be found on their web site.

All housing areas provide appropriate beds for students. Beds styles may consist of individual units, bunk beds (which can typically be used bunked or un-bunked), or loft units (which are single beds with an area below for a desk). All mattresses require the use of twin extra-long sheets.

Can I bring my own rug?

Yes, you may use your own rug: with the exception of Langdon Woods, rugs are not provided in the residence hall rooms. However, it is important to first measure the floor in your assigned room to determine an appropriate rug size. In Langdon Woods all rooms are carpeted.

Can I decorate the walls?

Adhesives that do not damage the wall paint are acceptable to use when hanging items on the walls of the residence halls. Students should not use sticky tak or any devices that put a hole in the wall (charges will be assessed at the end of the year for any damage caused).

Can I have a refrigerator?

Yes (Energy Star if possible). It needs to be approximately 5 cubic ft. or smaller. Interested in purchasing or renting a refrigerator?

Do I need curtains?

There are shades covering all windows, but window sizes vary. Approximate window sizes and room dimensions can be found on individual residence hall information pages.

How much space is under the bed?

All beds have at least 1 foot of clearance from the bottom of the bed to the floor.

What furniture is provided in the rooms?

Each room comes with a bed, desk, chair, and dresser for each student. Two closets/wardrobes are provided for each room – meaning that in triple rooms, closet space is shared.

What sizes are the mattresses and beds?

Mattresses are 80” in length. Beds are 6ft 8 inches long, 3ft wide, and have 1 foot (sometimes more) of clearance from the floor. All of the beds on campus require extra long sheets for the best fit. If you have difficulty finding extra long bedding, please visit Residence Hall Linens. Residential Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens for over 16 years to ensure that PSU students and families have a convenient, affordable way to get sheets that will fit the extra-long mattresses in our halls. The Residence Hall Linens program has all your campus living needs, from extra long twin sheets and comforters to matching towels and storage items. Proceeds from this program are used for programming in the residence halls. Shipping is free for all Value Pak orders, and there are more than 40 color combinations available. Plus, linens are delivered to your home during the summer so you don’t have to worry about waiting in line at the store. Order now for the best selection – popular colors can sell out quickly! Please visit the RHL website or call (800) 957-4338.

What can I bring?

The following lists will be helpful when new students shop and plan for there campus room. We recommend that students work out some of the details in advance with their roommate to avoid duplication on some of the larger items!
Can Have… Can’t Have… Should Have…
  • Curtains
  • Posters
  • Microwave (small) (Energy Star if possible)
  • Refrigerator (5 cubic ft. or smaller) (Energy Star if possible)
  • Iron / Ironing board
  • TV / VCR (Energy Star if possible)
  • Small Stereo (Energy Star if possible)
  • Fan
  • Rug
  • Dry erase board
  • Computer / Printer (Energy Star if possible)
  • Power strips (UL approved)
  • Mattress toppers
  • Extension cords
  • Halogen lights / lamps
  • Candles
  • Incense
  • Pets (small fish / tanks are permitted)
  • Open coil appliances (toasters, hot plates, etc.)
  • Propane-based grills and appliances
  • George-Foreman type grills
  • Electric blankets
  • Storage containers
  • Alarm clock
  • Snack food / beverages
  • Waste basket
  • Laundry basket / detergent
  • Shower shoes
  • Hangers
  • Warm clothes
  • Towels
  • Sheets (exta-long twin) (Residence Hall Linens program)
  • Blanket(s), comforter, pillow(s)
  • Shower caddy

For more information, go to the campus Room Furnishings page.

Do I need insurance to cover my belongings?

Yes, you should check your personal coverage.

The University is not liable, directly or indirectly, for theft, destruction of property, or loss of money, valuables, or other personal property belonging to a student. All students are strongly encouraged to carry personal property insurance or to review appropriate family insurance coverage. Many family homeowner policies include this type of coverage.

National Student Services, Inc. National Student Services, Inc. provides personal property insurance to students nationwide. Your one-time premium nets you coverage for an entire year, and this coverage begins the day after you apply. The NSSI website is located at and provides students the opportunity to apply for coverage to protect their property, renew or modify existing coverage, and obtain all the information they need about NSSI program.

Are telephone services provided?

Due to the prevalence of cell phones, land-line phones direct to student rooms are no longer provided. Emergency phones are located in central locations in the residential halls, as well as other campus locations, for 911 emergency calling.

Will my room have cable TV? Internet?

All residence hall rooms have cable and computer network access.

PSU also has wifi available in all campus buildings and outside in most areas.

Click here for more information about ResNet, connecting to the PSU network, and the Cable TV channel offerings.

Can I rent a TV?

Yes! PSU is excited to offer campusTVs, a television rental service specially designed for the college student. Split the cost of the television online with your roommates and have your TV delivered to you on the first day of school and picked up on the last. Don’t deal with the struggle of lugging an expensive amenity to and from college and eliminate the hassle of storing your TV for the year. For more information check us out at

back to top

Residence Halls

Are there any smoking residence halls?

All residence halls are non-smoking.

How much does laundry cost?

Laundry facilities are located in each building. Wash prices begin at $1.50 but may vary depending on the cycle options chosen. Dryer cycles may be purchased for $.50 per 20 minutes. Machines are started through use of money on your student ID (FlexCash). Machines do not take quarters.

All washers are high-efficiency, front-load machines. Please use only detergent designed for this style machine.

Laundry machine availability and monitoring (PSU Wash Alert) was rolled out for Fall 2013. Just type go/laundry into any web browser while on-campus, or from off-campus.

Are cooking facilities available?

Each building has at least one kitchen facility for student use. Check the Residence Hall info for more specific details.

Is there storage space available?

There is no storage space available in the residence halls for personal belongings. Students should plan and pack accordingly.

back to top

Other Questions

What forms of transportation are available on and off campus?

ALL students are allowed to bring cars, which is just one of the many great reasons to come to PSU! Anyone who plans to park on campus will need to purchase a parking permit through University Police. For questions about parking permits, call campus police at 603-535-2330.

Plymouth State University has a shuttle system that runs through campus and town at certain hours. For more information, go to the campus Shuttle Service Info.

Concord Coach Lines provides limited service to different towns surrounding Plymouth as well as Concord, Londonderry, Boston, MA and Logan Airport. For more information please visit their website or call 1-800-639-3317. Students are eligible for special fare pricing. They pick you up right in town, a very easy walk from campus!

What banks are available?

All these banks are directly next to or a short distance from campus:
  • Citizens Bank (603-536-6900)
  • Community Guaranty Savings Bank (603-536-0001)
  • Laconia Savings (603-536-4200)
  • Meredith Village Savings Bank (603-536-8228)
  • Northway Bank (603-536-2733)

Whom do I call with questions about Orientation?

Call the Hartman Union Building @ 603-535-2376 with any Orientation questions.

back to top