Counseling and Human Relations Center

In order to assist the students of Plymouth State University in making their university experiences valuable and satisfactory a system of both personal and academic counseling has been established.

For Students

Counseling is available free of charge daily Monday through Friday during fall and spring semesters for general and substance abuse counseling.  The Counseling and Human Relations Center offers individual and group counseling, support groups, consultation, emergency services, outreach, and educational programs.  The staff may also refer students to non-university resources such as self-help groups, intensive educational and/or treatment programs, psychiatric care, or residential treatment programs.


The counseling staff is available to present programs in residence halls, apartments, or fraternity/sorority houses.

The center maintains the Jim Hagedorn Memorial Library.  Students are welcome to borrow books from the library or to enjoy the use of the room but are encouraged to check availability of the library in advance as it is occasionally used for both individual counseling and groups.

For Faculty and Staff

Plymouth State University has an Employee Assistance Program (E.A.P.) that is a confidential off-campus counseling/referral service, provided free-of-charge, to eligible faculty and staff members and their immediate family members. The program is geared to assist with many problems, including but not limited, to family stress, alcohol and other drug abuse, and emotional health.

General Non-Professional Counseling

The Staff of the Division of Student Affairs is available for personal counseling and problem solving. Students are encouraged to see the Vice President for Enrollment Management for Student Affairs, Dean of Students, Directors, and staff members whenever a need exists. The personal counseling function is perceived as a primary responsibility of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs.