Council of Teacher Education
October 18, 2010
3:30-5:00pm HUB 119
1.0 CALL TO ORDER McCormack
1.0 CALL TO ORDER
1.01 Present (Voting Members)
Megan Birch (English) John Donovan (Math), Kim Duncan (Chemistry), Mary Earick (Education), James Kuras (College of Graduate Studies), Pat May (Social Science), Louise McCormack (Health and Human Performances), Mary Ann McGarry (Biology), Holly Oliver (Music, Theatre, Dance), Marianne True (Childhood Studies)
Present (Non voting members)
Mary Campbell (Undergraduate Studies), Pat Cantor (Early Childhood Studies,) Kelsey Donnelly (OTC), Deb Mardin (OTC), Kristine Miller (Faculty Observer
Absent (voting Member)
Irene Cucina (OTC), Katherine Harrington (Languages and Linguistics), Jason Swift (Art), Student Representative
2.0 APPROVAL OF AGENDA WITH Add-ons & PERMISSION TO DEVIATE McCormack
2.01 Request for agenda add-ons (time permitted)
P. Cantor will discuss fingerprinting later on in meeting.
3.0 APPROVAL OF CONSENSUS ITEMS
3.01 Minutes from September 20, 2010 meeting McCormack
September 20, 2010 minutes were approved with no corrections.
4.0 DISCUSSION ITEMS
4.01 Fingerprinting Session Cantor
Fingerprinting workshops were initiated about a year ago to lessen the financial burden of the numerous students working in a childcare and teacher certification setting. Chief Doyle was able to charge the students a $10.00 group rate instead of the normal $20.00. P. Cantor mentioned that though she initiated the program, she does not want to charge it, so she is looking for others to step in.
The workshops were a bit confusing and the students didn’t know what they needed. There were different forms that needed to be completed depending on whether they were a child care worker or a student teacher/methods student. If we continue to offer the sessions, the students need to be more informed and prepared before they go. There is a multiple school application that can be completed, to help alleviate having to have the prints done twice for two separate districts, but a student must know the schools they will be attending. Perhaps having the students sign up in advance would help the UPD know what staffing they will need.
M. True dropped off the cards to the SAU and was told that many of the prints taken would be returned by the FBI as they weren’t readable. UPD did say that they would offer one free print if they did get returned. There is a live scan option that is 100% accurate, however, that is not available through PSU.
The law states now that if a student is never left alone in a classroom, they do not need to be fingerprinted, but school districts can request it.
The council would like to have a written statement about the finger printing and criminal records process that is precise and consistent so the students know what to expect.
DISPOSITION: Irene will find out what fingerprinting policy is used by Keene/UNH and will report back. She will have to have a discussion with Chief Doyle and Julie Bernier to decide what the best process would be for our students. She may request guidance from Council.
H. Oliver mentioned that the review of the teacher preparation at UNH showed that they have a background review policy that is sponsored by UNH. She mentioned that the council should look into obtaining this policy. They have an authorization for background review/disclosure and dissent form that does not require fingerprinting. To view this policy go to the following website:
5.0 OLD BUSINESS/ANNOUNCEMENTS
5.01 Update on NCATE Mardin
www.plymouth.edu/accreditation/ncate/ (Password: PSUaccreditation2011)
The NCATE site is set up a bit different than the NHDOE site. It should be easier to use. Please review the site and let D. Mardin know of any errors. Each coordinator should have had some contact with their SPAs at this point. March 15th is the deadline; however everyone is putting it off until September.
DISPOSITION: Deb Mardin will find out from Irene if everyone has to submit a report next September.
The council has requested that a timeline for SPA submission be reviewed at the next council meeting.
6.0 OPEN DISCUSSION McCormack
L. McCormack mentioned that the ADA statement is currently being reviewed by the academic affairs committee, and if it passes, it will be put forward in the first meeting in November.
H. Oliver recently discovered that there are some copyright infringements on music being used by students, and we may be fined if a piece does not have a copyright. H. Oliver is trying to figure out how to monitor this. She feels this issue should be brought forward to the Office of the Provost to see if the system council should be notified.
P. May will be brining forwarded a revision from the Social Science Department requesting a split waiver of the directions. He is aware that this goes beyond what is normal to waive two of a single direction, and one self sided direction. He is looking for feedback.
7.0 MOTION TO ADJOURN McCormack