Statement of Philosophy
Academic advising is an important part of Plymouth State University’s commitment to the process of educating the student. Plymouth State University is committed to providing quality advising service to students in all academic programs. However, attaining this goal requires that both advisors and students understand their perspective roles in the advising process.
Advising assists students to realize the maximum educational benefits available to them by helping them to better understand themselves and to learn to use the resources of the institution to meet their special educational needs.
- David S. Crockett
The foundation of the advising process is the relationship between the advisor and the student. In this process, the advisor helps students to review, select, and reach their educational objectives in a professional, helpful, and mutually respectful atmosphere that allows students to:
- become well informed about policies and procedures, curricular options, and academic program requirements;
- clearly define their educational objectives;
- plan programs which incorporate their interests, abilities, and careers goals; and
- make full use of the facilities and resources available at PSU.
- Developmental Advising
- Thirty Reminders for Effective Advising
- Guidelines for Academic Advising
- Assignment of Academic Advisors
- Record Keeping
- Privacy and Disclosure of Education Records
- Registration Procedures
- Adding and Dropping Courses
- Other Academic Procedures
- Advising Special Groups of Students
- Registrar’s Calendar
- Advising Home